Should we be looking for a longterm 2c/3c instead of splitting up Matthews/Nylander?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
The more I think about it, the more I dont want Nylander and Matthews to split up.

Kadri could slide into the 2c role, then we'd need a need a 3c. I'd love if Kadri was the 3c because that means we have really solid depth down the middle. But the cap would probably prevent that, so a solid 3c is more likely.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I really think Matthews-Marner could be just as magic as Matthews-Nylander has been, which is why, for now, I'm against looking for a replacement middle line C for Bozak. Nylander has also been splitting draws with Matthews this early season, so it still looks like he's being groomed for the centre position.

The idea of a Matthews-Nylander-Kadri top 3 centre core is just too enticing a path for me to stray away from. Even with the Matthews-Nylander duo looking like absolute money.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Matthews-Kadri is a very solid 1-2 punch up the middle. We do need a long-term #3C, but that shouldn't be particularly hard to get.

I'd focus on getting a strong defensive centre for the #3 slot. They don't need to be a ~45-50 point guy like Bozak, ~35ish points is fine as long as we're solidifying our ability to shutdown other teams.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There are some internal options with Aaltonen already looking NHL ready.

Pro thre most interesting question about the Leafs roster is whether they'll transition Nylander over to centre

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
At this point, yes. I bet we'll take a look at some alternatives. It's a luxury question though, I'd very happy with Nylander running a sheltered scoring line as well.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Gauthier/Altonen can be developed into #3-4 C. It's too bad Gauthier was injured coming into the season, I had some hopes of him making an impact this season. I'm fairly surprised by Fehr, I would welcome him back at a Fehr price.

Reactions: glucker

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tough to break up Matthews and Nylander when they're thriving to the extent that they are, but if Nylander can give us essentially a similar game from centre, it becomes that much more valuable. Think we'd be fine with Matthews and Kadri as a 1-2, but Matthews-Nylander-Kadri would project to be something else, particularly in a cap league.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Either move Nylander to C or find a better 2-way player than Bozak. I like Bozak but unfortunately he's shown repeteadly that his line gets buried defensively, and it's hurting this team. They won't be a complete team until they find a solution there. It's also hurting Marner's development IMO.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
No interest in breaking up Matthews-Nylander

I would like to see a good 2nd line C developed, but not traded for, as it would be a waste of assets.

That's why last year had Liljegren not been at #17, I was a big on taking a guy like Robert Thomas at that spot. Gauthier, Altonen, Brooks and McGregor are in the system and I highly doubt any of them have what it takes.

I've been a bit perplexed at the lack of Cs the organization has taken of late, I understand there is BPA and there are less Cs than W or D on a team, but I feel like overall the position has been slightly neglected past the 1st round, and its highly valuable and coveted.

Reactions: MJ65

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
As I said earlier on one of Nylander's thread "The chemistry between Nylander and Matthews is unbelievable - I hope we can find a better "C"then Bozak and leave Willie on this line"

Ultimately Nylander is going to slot in as # 2 "C" but having him on the Matthews line would be ideal if we can find another 2 way "C" and slot Kadri as a 2nd line "C" and promote Kapanen or Marleau on that line

Marleau / Kapanen Kadri Marner

Bozak / JVR traded before the deadline

Last edited:

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I really think Matthews-Marner could be just as magic as Matthews-Nylander has been, which is why, for now, I'm against looking for a replacement middle line C for Bozak. Nylander has also been splitting draws with Matthews this early season, so it still looks like he's being groomed for the centre position.

The idea of a Matthews-Nylander-Kadri top 3 centre core is just too enticing a path for me to stray away from. Even with the Matthews-Nylander duo looking like absolute money.

part of me wishes they split up Nylander and Matthews and put him in komarov line. that way he would score less and bring his AAV down to more along the lines of Ehlers Contract. the moment he signs you put him on the 2nd line as a Centre.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Matthews-Kadri is a very solid 1-2 punch up the middle. We do need a long-term #3C, but that shouldn't be particularly hard to get.

I'd focus on getting a strong defensive centre for the #3 slot. They don't need to be a ~45-50 point guy like Bozak, ~35ish points is fine as long as we're solidifying our ability to shutdown other teams.

we need the best talent we can get. either offensively or defensively or both. Aaltonen is Intriguing but there are much better options. Lou needs to work his magic stick

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Grundstrom - X - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier/Aaltonen - Komarov

Kadri is a great #2C.
It's not hard to find a #3C who is solid defensively and can chip in 30-40 points/year.

Reactions: The Cobra

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'd love to get another two-way center. Someone who's actually good defensively (cough Bozak). Would help Marner and our team defense a lot, as would replacing JVR eventually with either Kapanen, Johnsson, or Grundstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad