Should we be looking for a longterm 2c/3c instead of splitting up Matthews/Nylander?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The more I look, the more I think that we probably re-sign bozak.
For some inexplicable reason in 27 picks, the leafs have drafted 3 centers!

Matthews, brooks and mcgregor. We have absolutely 0 depth at that position. At all. I really don’t understand it at all. I think we may have drafted more goalies... scary

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If we don't resign Bozak there are replacements available as mentioned. No need to breakup Matthews and Nylander or move Marner to center. We will get a replacement for the same money we spent on Bozak this season.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If we don't resign Bozak there are replacements available as mentioned. No need to breakup Matthews and Nylander or move Marner to center. We will get a replacement for the same money we spent on Bozak this season.

I wouldn’t mind. But who though???

Turris for 6 million?
Stasny?

Bozak actually has a higher career ppg than Turris. I think turris is the better player. But man I think he goes for the big contract.

Why trade assets for a player that isn’t going to be much better than the devil you know.
Also. Why the hell don’t we draft centers??

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would absolutely look into it but only commit if it made sense. I have full confidence in Nylander’s ability to drive his own line from the centre ice but he and Matthews have what looks like a special kind of chemistry. Ideally you probably try Mitch on his wing for a bit.

It is sure looking like the most feasible option. It also opens up another spot on the roster for one of the youngsters and the money for a big ticket UFA can be used elsewhere.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Unless our D improves the best way I see to compete for the SC is with a lethal 1-2 punch, alla Pittsburgh Penguins. That could be Matthews/Nylander but I don't think so today.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

Turris for 6 million?
Stasny?

Bozak actually has a higher career ppg than Turris. I think turris is the better player. But man I think he goes for the big contract.

Why trade assets for a player that isn’t going to be much better than the devil you know.

Lars Eller is another option. Doesn't put up a lot of points but he's good defensively.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Turris for 6 million?
Stasny?

Like I said with the young wingers we have in Kapanen, Leivo, Soshnikov etc... if Bozak and JVR walk we have the winger to replace him but we will also have 8 million plus to find a center!!! I don't think that we need to spend 6 million plus on a center. And it will be hard pressed for someone like Bozak or Turris to get 6 million plus. They have barely cracked 50 pts a season and aren't exactly young. All the power to them if they get it, but I would be really surprised if those two 5 million each as a slight raise to their existing contracts.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Can Bozak just sign a sweetheart deal to stay with a team he loves, players he loves and a great chance to win a cup?

The more I think about it, the more I want to keep Willy-Auston together. Their incredible.

Can we afford Bozak at 4-4.5 for at 4-5 years?

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
2018/19 Line up

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Brown - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Leivo
Martin - Aaltonen - Soshnikov
Gauthier/Rychel

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Carrick
Borgman/Rosen

Andersen
Pickard

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Can Bozak just sign a sweetheart deal to stay with a team he loves, players he loves and a great chance to win a cup?

The more I think about it, the more I want to keep Willy-Auston together. Their incredible.

Can we afford Bozak at 4-4.5 for at 4-5 years?

Do you want to have Bozak for that long though? That would take him until he's like 35/36.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Do you want to have Bozak for that long though? That would take him until he's like 35/36.

I think a 3 year deal will get it done for 4.5 a season if he really wants to stay. And then we can put this to rest. We hold on to JVR until right before July 1 and trade his rights away for a couple of picks. Maybe a 2nd and 4th rounder. To me JVR cannot be traded at this time. Things are going to well to screw around with things.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
the thing is his defensively play..
i'm just thinking if there would be any other dooable options.

Wonder what Statsny, who is 31 now, is looking for in terms of cost/term

The only other option off of the top of my head would be Thornton ... Perhaps the Leafs bring him in for one year

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Last edited:
Reactions: Crosscrease14

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's going to be awfully hard to find a replacement for Bozak unless Leafs are planning to move Nylander to wing

The problem is that the teams that have some "C" depth would not just trade them and there is not much available in FA. I am pretty sure both JT and Turris will be extended to a new contract before they hit the market. Let's assume for a second if we believe that one of those are not extended then what's going to be price and term they are going to look for and is it worth to sign them for a long term deal (when we are going to need every $ to sign our top 3 and if we need to add a "D"

What options do we have?

- Sign Bozak to a cap friendly extension for a short term (If Bozak is willing to do that)
- Switch Nylander to "C" and let Bozak walk after the season

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
2018/19 Line up

Brown - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Leivo
Martin - Aaltonen - Soshnikov
Gauthier/Rychel

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Carrick
Borgman/Rosen

Andersen
Pickard
I'd probably go:

Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
Leivo - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Aaltonen - Fehr
Sosh

same dcore but with Dermott-Borgman as bottom pair

Think we need to have at least 1 PK focused centre, which could be Fehr being brought back. Then because Marleau is more of a speedy player that hasn't really meshed well at the speed of the Kadri line, a slower Leivo would work well while bringing Marleau up with speedy players in Nylander and Kapanen, while providing that line a definitive vet for Nylander's 1st full season at C and Kapanen's first full season. Then Brown provides more defense on the 3rd line, making it a shutdown line once again.

I think a 3 year deal will get it done for 4.5 a season if he really wants to stay. And then we can put this to rest. We hold on to JVR until right before July 1 and trade his rights away for a couple of picks. Maybe a 2nd and 4th rounder. To me JVR cannot be traded at this time. Things are going to well to screw around with things.
No one is going to pay a 2nd and a 4th for a JVR quality player with no guaranteed games played in return. Now there's a 5 day period before July 1st where players can discuss contracts with any team before actually signing on July 1st, which negates the benefit of trading for a UFA's rights.

And that line has not been going too well to not screw around with it, hell, Babcock already did by switching Marner and Brown.

The only other option off of the top of my head would be Thornton ... Perhaps the Leafs bring him in for one year
I've thought about Thornton being a great option for the team, but comes down to would a Marleau-Thornton-Marner line work well? Both Thornton and Marner pass more than they should, not sure if Marleau as the only shooter on the line is sufficient. Might require moving Marner to Matthews line while Nylander as a playmaking shooter would fit better.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
the thing is his defensively play..
i'm just thinking if there would be any other dooable options.

His defensive play is definitely a concern, there's also the issue of how much longer he'll be able to sustain his current production levels. Few players in this league score as much at 33/34 as they did at say 28.

It would dep me on what type of contract he'd be interested in. And I do suspect he'll be looking for a 4/5 year deal at 4/5 mil which is a bit too much commitment for my liking.

Will be interesting to see what Leafs management does here. I do wonder if Aaltonen will be give a good look at he NHal level to see if he'd become a potential replacement.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

this is what makes me wonder what the Leafs were trying to do this summer.
If Jumbo had said yes... Bozak and JVR would have been gone (financially). (I really wish Joe had said yes. He's one of my favourite players so for him to be a Leaf. wow).

Stasny is an idea.

I just think. it's not a knock against Bozak (or Will). but I think having the ability to have Will move from centre/wing (vs a lot of players of once you become a centre, (or a winger) it's dead to you) gives us a LOT of options if we have another centre (because you can easily move the centre to the wing. a lot harder to move a winger to Centre if it's not WIll).

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
this is what makes me wonder what the Leafs were trying to do this summer.
If Jumbo had said yes... Bozak and JVR would have been gone (financially). (I really wish Joe had said yes. He's one of my favourite players so for him to be a Leaf. wow).

Stasny is an idea.

I just think. it's not a knock against Bozak (or Will). but I think having the ability to have Will move from centre/wing (vs a lot of players of once you become a centre, (or a winger) it's dead to you) gives us a LOT of options if we have another centre (because you can easily move the centre to the wing. a lot harder to move a winger to Centre if it's not WIll).

Jumbo was not interested then and I think he is pretty comfortable in SJ. Statsny I don't think is going to sign a short term deal at this stage of his career

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Not sure if it's been mentioned or this is the right place to discuss, but what about Duchene?

Matthews
Duchene
Kadri

Long term lets you keep Matthews and Nylander together (with their chemistry and the ability to swap faceoffs I dont think they should be split up), gives Marner a two-way center who can keep up with him, and Brown and Kadri then make a formidable shutdown line that can score.

Not sure what gets a deal done. Maybe JVR, Kapanen and something else?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not sure if it's been mentioned or this is the right place to discuss, but what about Duchene?

Matthews
Duchene
Kadri

Long term lets you keep Matthews and Nylander together (with their chemistry and the ability to swap faceoffs I dont think they should be split up), gives Marner a two-way center who can keep up with him, and Brown and Kadri then make a formidable shutdown line that can score.

Not sure what gets a deal done. Maybe JVR, Kapanen and something else?

Statsny is a good option but the price is going to be pretty steep and I don't if they will have any interest in JVR. Montreal is the one chasing Statsny but I have heard from Montreal fans and Grant McCagg is that the price is pretty high

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Unless we are Signing John Tavares (which I doubt, and may not be the best idea Long term) i'd go with Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, Gauthier long term

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I like the Duchene idea. If there is some way to pry him away from Colorado then I would be all for trading Bozak now for some prospects and picks.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
we need to open up roster spots for our up and coming kids. nylander looks like he can handle playing center. i dont feel like replacing nylander with marner will be a big drop off for matthews either.

as posted above by someone else,

hyman-matthews-marner
marleau-nylander-kapanen
komorov-kadri-brown
martin-xxxxx-xxxxx

between jvr/bozak/komorov, komorov is the only one i can see us resigning. babs loves him and he is the type of player you win with. heart and soul type of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->