Should we be looking for a longterm 2c/3c instead of splitting up Matthews/Nylander?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Long term:

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Grundstrom Kadri Brown
Korshkov Marner Kapanen

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I bet we sign bozak again for 4.2 x4 front loaded.

I don’t see the point of padding willy stats this year if the long term plan is him at C.

Then we bump up Marner and pad his stats for his RFA. The next year. Not to be a finnatic conspiracy theorist, but If the goal is 2nd line C, let him play there before you pay him based on Mattys wing

I don't think Bozak will be back. This is his last chance to cash in.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
What players got term last UFA? He will be 32. I don’t see him getting tons but if he can get it godspeed

Even if he could get a 5th year that extra 4 million is a lot of money to throw away.

Alzner got the 5th year and he's garbage. I could see Montreal going after Bozak too.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Two problems I see with trading JVR and Bozak, their contracts handicap any likely return you'd get for them. Like Kessel, they have to submit a list of teams before they're in play. If they were to be traded, most likely it would of already happened in the off-season because of it. Their list of teams are unlikely to include many teams that might want them. So with so few dance partners, management would have a hard time getting full price. Like them or not, they have more value even if you use them as rentals.

Long term: Bring out the defensive forwards. The young guns are going to hammer the Leaf's salary cap. Fans have to realize the days of having even Tyler Bozak offense on a line are going to disappear. Because the Leafs won't be able to afford a three 50+ center forwards. If Matthews/Marner/Nylander were just to get JVR/Bozak money, you're looking at an increase of $10 million. The only way I'd bring either one of them back, it would have to be <$4 million.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
50 pt right shot face off studs don’t grow on trees. If willy isn’t going to be a C. Then what options do we have? None.

He is by no means a stud. Sorry. Just don't think much of him. That line he is on right now is a big reason why we give up so many goals. By no means the only reason, but a big reason. I think we need to move on. But instead of moving on, you're willing to give him term? Don't want.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He is by no means a stud. Sorry. Just don't think much of him. That line he is on right now is a big reason why we give up so many goals. By no means the only reason, but a big reason. I think we need to move on. But instead of moving on, you're willing to give him term? Don't want.

He is one of the best faceoff men in the league. He has value. If he plays with a stronger 2 way forward..... marleau, he will be fine
My plan is Matthews/nylander/Kadri.

But if the leafs don’t see nylander as a C. Then what are our options? We don’t draft centers for some reason? Who brooks? Aaltonen come on..... we aren’t in the draft window and you won’t get a solid C without giving up tons of assets.

What is your realistic plan?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Finding that "C" that we are talking about is not an easy task - not many options available

Disagree. A number two/three center to mix and match with Kadri is basically a Turris, Brassard, Zibanejad, Schenn type player and with the depth we have in the organization, we could probably trade for one if need be. When you have the luxury of a Matthews, those pieces will fall into place.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Disagree. A number two/three center to mix and match with Kadri is basically a Turris, Brassard, Zibanejad, Schenn type player and with the depth we have in the organization, we could probably trade for one if need be. When you have the luxury of a Matthews, those pieces will fall into place.

Except for Turris every one on your list are signed for few more years after this season- Ottawa will go hard after Turris as they need him more then we do and he is not going to come cheap. I don't think if any team would be willing to trade their #2 / # 3 "C" - I am not sure why would you disagree

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What would Turris get as a ufa? 6 easy?

If nylander stays a winger. A reasonable bozak deal is prob our best option

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Unless Thornton comes for 1 year and we try again then Bozie is our best option

Stasny and turris will make way too much. There won’t be a big upgrade on bozak that fits in our price range without a ton of assets.

Maybe bring in Thornton for a year? And the. Nylander?

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Unless Thornton comes for 1 year and we try again then Bozie is our best option

Stasny and turris will make way too much. There won’t be a big upgrade on bozak that fits in our price range without a ton of assets.

Maybe bring in Thornton for a year? And the. Nylander?

Maybe the Sedins will sign for 1 year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What would Turris get as a ufa? 6 easy?

If nylander stays a winger. A reasonable bozak deal is prob our best option

Not suggesting we sign a UFA. We could use some of the surplus in the system to trade for someone like Turris who is under contract. That level of a player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Except for Turris every one on your list are signed for few more years after this season- Ottawa will go hard after Turris as they need him more then we do and he is not going to come cheap. I don't think if any team would be willing to trade their #2 / # 3 "C" - I am not sure why would you disagree

Those centermen I listed are all 2's and 3's who were traded at one point or another. Schenn, Zibanejad and Brassard were all moved in the past 12 months, so don't focus on those individuals but that class of centerman.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Those centermen I listed are all 2's and 3's who were traded at one point or another. Schenn, Zibanejad and Brassard were all moved in the past 12 months, so don't focus on those individuals but that class of centerman.

Why don't you name them?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why don't you name them?

What, centermen we could possibly target in the next five years who may be able to fill a second line role behind Matthews?

Henrique, Little, Larkin, Nugent-Hopkins, Trochek, Galchenyuk, potentially Strome, Bennett, Reinhart, Fabbri, Couturier, Barzal,

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What, centermen we could possibly target in the next five years who may be able to fill a second line role behind Matthews?

Henrique, Little, Larkin, Nugent-Hopkins, Trochek, Galchenyuk, potentially Strome, Bennett, Reinhart, Fabbri, Couturier, Barzal,

We are not talking about 5 years from now - this thread is about finding that "C" now

Any ways there is no point arguing

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
There is no real wrong answer, I just feel we are so deep in wing depth that it doesn't make a lot of sense to more or less "block" most or all future RWs of top 9 spots with Nylander, Marner and Kappy/Brown holding them down for several years going forward.
We obviously aren't as deep in C depth, and Kadri would be in a JVR position once his contract is up, so C wouldn't be blocked indefinitely the same way RW would be.

It's also a huge advantage to have likely one of, if not the best trio of Cs in the league going forward.

But it is pretty tempting to let them continue to play together.

I'd imagine they would always be paired on the PP though.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
We've never seen Marner and Matthews together for more than a few shifts at a time, but people assume that Matthews and Nylander have this inseparable chemistry that shouldn't be touched. They're good together because they're both elite talents. Matthews and Nylander as the top 2 centres will be a better combo than anything we will be able to realistically acquire, not to mention it's a solution that won't cost us anything. I put my money on Matthews and Marner being just as good together, if not better.

Long term:

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Grundstrom Kadri Brown
Korshkov Marner Kapanen

Uh, no. Marner is not a centre. He's been a winger for years, and he's better there. Don't know why some insist on moving to Marner centre.

And the idea of him playing behind Kadri is also amusing.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Maybe the Sedins will sign for 1 year.
That would be awesome to see, even if both are approaching 40. I don't see them going anywhere though, they're very loyal to Vancouver and likely retire as Canucks. Our offense would be insanely deep like it is now. Swap out JVR and Bozak for the Sedins, call up Kapanen.

bleaf87

Oct 16, 2017
The 6
Matthews-Kadri is a very solid 1-2 punch up the middle. We do need a long-term #3C, but that shouldn't be particularly hard to get.

I'd focus on getting a strong defensive centre for the #3 slot. They don't need to be a ~45-50 point guy like Bozak, ~35ish points is fine as long as we're solidifying our ability to shutdown other teams.
Babco
The more I think about it, the more I dont want Nylander and Matthews to split up.

Kadri could slide into the 2c role, then we'd need a need a 3c. I'd love if Kadri was the 3c because that means we have really solid depth down the middle. But the cap would probably prevent that, so a solid 3c is more likely.
We need to split the Bozak line up. They are -15 in five games this season!!!

JVR Matthews Brown
Komarov Bozak Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
Martin Fehr Hyman

Big Z Bobby Orr
Rilley Hainsey
Carrick Borgman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad