Should we be looking for a longterm 2c/3c instead of splitting up Matthews/Nylander?

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Matthews/Nylander is the best line in world... eye test and metrics wise.

Are we stunting Nylander if we keep him at wing though???

Babs even hinted that Nylander is a Centre a few times already.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Brown is good on Matthews wing.

Untrue.
2016-17:

Matthews-Nylander-Hyman:
xGF% -55.33
rel.xGF% - +5.83
PDO - 98.67 (unlucky)

Matthews-Brown-Hyman
xGF% - 47.15
rel.xGF% - (-3.94)
PDO - 103.88 (very lucky)

With Brown, he got more points per, but it was luck it happened. Matthews without Nylander is a player we wouldn't be considering one of the best in the league already. This shtick of yours that Nylander-Matthews should be split up is tired.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
I think that Nylander will end up moving to centre but putting him on matthews line would be the "nuclear option" kinda like how Jeff Carter is used in LA. We have plenty of centre men who could potentially switch back and forth from the wings (aaltonen, brooks potentially)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Although Matthews/Nylander are great together, I think that Matthews/Marner could also be a terrific pair, which would free up Nylander to centre the 2nd line. I think Nylander's talents would be maximized as a centre, carrying his own line. Having a Matthews/Nylander/Kadri lineup down the middle would just be so strong, IMO we have to give it a legit shot at some point - that's basically a superstar C (Matthews), a legit 1C (I believe Nylander could become that good with time), and a legit 2C (Kadri is there already).

Reactions: The Cobra

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Was thinking about this when they won it in OT last night. Their chemistry is really apparent and I'm not sure if Babcock is willing to break up his best line anytime soon.
Kadri's a decent #2 and we can replace Bozak with maybe a FA vet or someone who won't cost the Leafs all that much. For now, I think they stay on the same line.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Matthews/Nylander is the best line in world... eye test and metrics wise.

Are we stunting Nylander if we keep him at wing though???

Babs even hinted that Nylander is a Centre a few times already.

I always see Nylander taking draws half the time on that line, and he seems to win most just from memory.

There is nothing wrong with having them both on the line, as they tend to play it unorthodox and dynamically in the sense that sometimes Matthews will position like a winger or Nylander will. They cover and skate around the ice so cohesively that we basically have 2 centers and 1 winger on that line.

That being said, I think Kadri excels at his position now and i would rather move Nylander to 2c over attempt to place Kadri in a bigger scoring, which might actually mess with his own playstyle. He creates more offense by not actively trying to create it, if that makes sense.

Matthews-Nylander is near unbeatable 5v5. You can't change that just because Nylander would be a great center on his own line, not when it's this effective. So maybe we do look for another center when Bozak is gone. Our 2nd line doesn't even need a high scoring C, 2/3 is interchangeable, they just have to play two-way and let Marner/winger do the rest. Marleau probably has played too much wing over the last few years to be a decent stop gap unfortunately if it comes to it

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Just some stats to look at to compare the line to the rest of the league:
* using lines that have skated over 30 minutes 5v5 together (49), brackets meaning rank relative to league
** Keep in mind, the lines we're comparing to have only played 3-5 games, meaning this is a crazy small sample size.

CF60 - 74.96 (1st)
CA60 - 44.1 (19th)
CF% - 62.96% (6th)
---
FF60 - 57.31 (5th)
FA60 - 31.96 (11th)
FF% - 64.2% (6th)
---
xGF60 - 7.21 (1st) [2nd place has 4.67!!!!!! This is crazy... ]
xGA60 - 2.71 (34th)
xGF% - 72.64% (2nd) [Hudon-Plek-Lehkonen are first]
---
oiSH% - 9.53% (27th)
GF60 - 4.09 (16th)
GA60 - 0 (1st - tied with 6 other lines)
---
OZS% - 17.65
DZS% - 31.37
NZS% - 50.98

Just crazy how good this line has been so far this season.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The nice thing is that we have options.
How can you not like Matthews and Nylander together? And at the same time how can you not like the depth down the middle of Matthews/Nylander/Kadri. Even though we have yet to see Willy there long term.
At present I'd much rather find a solid 2 way center to play with Marner and leave the top line alone. Matthews/Nylander, the Kadri matchup line and a reconfigured Marner line. I wish Gauthier had more speed or slightly more offense because he would have been the type of center I'm looking for. Then I would have groomed Brooks in the mold of a young Moore,Kelly for that 4th line.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
we wont have the cap room to afford another good 2c if Nylander stays on the wing, so in the event we choose to keep Nylander on Matthews wing Kadri would have to be our 2c(which is perfectly fine), and needing to find that 3c weather it be someone young and cheap from the farm or a vet on a cheaper contract.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Untrue.
2016-17:

Matthews-Nylander-Hyman:
xGF% -55.33
rel.xGF% - +5.83
PDO - 98.67 (unlucky)

Matthews-Brown-Hyman
xGF% - 47.15
rel.xGF% - (-3.94)
PDO - 103.88 (very lucky)

With Brown, he got more points per, but it was luck it happened. Matthews without Nylander is a player we wouldn't be considering one of the best in the league already. This shtick of yours that Nylander-Matthews should be split up is tired.

Makes even more sense to play them together. He is a C anyways (Nylander) but if Babcock wants those two to drive up their values to 9m and 13m have at it. They probably will while Bozak dogs it up.

What do I know though.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Makes even more sense to play them together. He is a C anyways (Nylander) but if Babcock wants those two to drive up their values to 9m and 13m have at it. They probably will while Bozak dogs it up.

What do I know though.

Man, your only argument for them not to play together is "their prices will go up". Yes, let's make our team worse because of contractual issues that haven't happened yet and we don't know are going to happen!!!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Man, your only argument for them not to play together is "their prices will go up". Yes, let's make our team worse because of contractual issues that haven't happened yet and we don't know are going to happen!!!

That's not the way it works. What happens is line 3 becomes better because you dump pos Bozak finally and each player maybe takes a 10% hit but as a team they probably become far better.

You have to learn to understand line time. L1 can only be awesome 18m a night. A better L3 gives us an extra 16-17m of quality play instead of the trash you stand witness to now.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Nazem just scored 32 goals, he's a solid 2nd line center.

Matthews - Kadri is a strong 1-2.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If you want to chase down a rocket for Matthews keep him with Nylander. If you want to chase down a cup, let Nylander fix L3

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If we have Matthews - Nylander - Kadri down the middle we'd arguably have the best depth in center.

Nylander wants to play center and we should let him thrive in that role. He could be a Backstrom. He's a superstar in his own right and we should respect that.

Our depth in the wings isn't bad with Hyman, JvR and Marleau on the left and Marner, Brown and Kapanen/Komarov on the right.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
JvR/Marleau - Nylander - Brown/Kapanen
JvR/Marleau - Kadri - Brown/Kapanen

We've got goal scorers, playmakers and puck retrievers on each line.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we have Matthews - Nylander - Kadri down the middle we'd arguably have the best depth in center.

Nylander wants to play center and we should let him thrive in that role. He could be a Backstrom. He's a superstar in his own right and we should respect that.

Our depth in the wings isn't bad with Hyman, JvR and Marleau on the left and Marner, Brown and Kapanen/Komarov on the right.

Exactly

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017
Hi guys, been reading here for years, but figured it would be nice to have an account.

I do believe Nylander will be leading his own line as a C in the long run. I dont know about you, but I have a feeling that we will see 2 of Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Brown and Kapanen in each of our first 3 lines in the near future, maybe next season? For example:
????-Matthews-Marner
????-Nylander-Kapanen
?????-Kadri-Brown

I have faith Kappy will be a really good player, the question is if we can afford all of them?
With this lineup, I do believe the question marks could be filled out with cheaper players and all three lines would still be damn good.

At the moment though, I do enjoy watching Matthews-Nylander :)

(Sorry if bad english, not from North America)

Reactions: The Cobra

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

True but if we had a center in the mold of J. Staal, Couturier, etc. On that 3rd pair we'd be equally strong.
Matthews/Nylander
Kadri/Brown
Center/Marner (now this line is more defensively sound)
Either configuration will be hard to contain.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I bet we sign bozak again for 4.2 x4 front loaded.

I don’t see the point of padding willy stats this year if the long term plan is him at C.

Then we bump up Marner and pad his stats for his RFA. The next year. Not to be a finnatic conspiracy theorist, but If the goal is 2nd line C, let him play there before you pay him based on Mattys wing

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I bet we sign bozak again for 4.2 x4 front loaded.

I don’t see the point of padding willy stats this year if the long term plan is him at C.

Then we bump up Marner and pad his stats for his RFA. The next year. Not to be a finnatic conspiracy theorist, but If the goal is 2nd line C, let him play there before you pay him based on Mattys wing

Being perceived as a center can reap you more money in negotiations because the position holds more value. Having McDavid on the same team was an obvious factor with Draisaitl, but he got a LOT more money than Pastrnak who's numbers weren't that far off. A big part of that was he was viewed as a center(even though he still played a fair bit of time with McDavid). If Nylander doesn't play a second of time at center this year there really isn't a way he could go into RFA looking to be paid like a center. Even if he puts up 75 points. A 75 point winger might get less than a 65 point center.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Finding that "C" that we are talking about is not an easy task - not many options available

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad