Should the Jets make a trade at the deadline or keep the roster as it is?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
At this point, I hope the Jets stand pat and use their own youth and depth. The only upgrade might be a LD to avoid having Melchiori as an option under any circumstances.

I would stand pat if I was Chevy, and give nothing away - "we don't need anybody" We have beaten most of the top teams like Tampa, Las Vegas, St.Louis, Kings, Ducks, Predators, Devils, and played a hot Boston team to a tie in regulation time. We are having no trouble when we play these top teams--"why change" ???

I just don't get all these TSN telecasters saying we need another forward -what ?? -we're loaded with scorers. They also say we need playoff experience players ?? We have Wheeler, Little, Buff and guys like that to lead the way. Give me talent over experience.

Look at the Superbowl - a young talented Eagles team just beat the experienced Patriots -- so yeah, give me talent youth and desire-- over experience --all day long.

On LD like the above poster said -- we are just fine with Morrissey, Kulikov, Enstrom, and also Chiarot, who I would not hesitate to play. I think in the last 3 Jet's games we've only allowed 2 goals a game. ( won 2 and tied 1)

I predict, and hope Chevy will stand pat, and go with the talent we have -- we have enough to win the Stanley Cup IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not suggesting worrying. I'm suggesting adding to a team that's already got potential. I know this is hard to fathom for many of us Jets fans because, well we've never been in this position but this is what good teams with a shot at a CUP do. Especially when you look at the embarrassment of riches the Jets have. Thinking of getting one of Hoffman, Simmonds, or Pacioretty....giving up Petan (he's never going to get a fair shake here let's face it) Vesalainen (he's likely 1-2 years away from being ready to contribute), and picks doesn't hurt the team now, doesn't hurt the team in the long run, and boosts our chances at a CUP within 1-2 years and all of the trade targets listed have at least this and next year left on their contracts. It's literally the best shot we have in this window before Laine and Wheeler need raises and the CAP tightens on us. Also the added depth helps you sustain injuries which, if we had one of those guys now Moving Wheeler into the middle wouldn't hurt as bad!

I'm adverse to a deadline trade, but could see the Jets in the mix for Pacioretty.

There's a handful of replies to you, but none mentioned Patches is Wheeler's neighbour at his summer home in Florida & their families are tight with their children even playing together.

Max has also been Blake's summer workout partner since 2016.

Reactions: scarbrow21

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
All depends. Open ended question. If Trouba still wants to leave go and get OEL with him.

Otherwise we only have room for 1 LW forward and he has to be an improvement on Connor/Roslovic/Tanev/Copp

Jets don't have to pay an inflated price with the excellent forward depth and the above average D depth.

No sense in giving up any future depth unless we get great futures in return. The cap might force us to give up a Copp/Armia/Dano/Connor/Roslovic/Petan/Appleton/Foley one day in the next few years but why do it before we have to.

Reactions: ERYX

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I'm adverse to a deadline trade, but could see the Jets in the mix for Pacioretty.

There's a handful of replies to you, but none mentioned Patches is Wheeler's neighbour at his summer home in Florida & their families are tight with their children even playing together.

Max has also been Blake's summer workout partner since 2016.
I was also unaware of that. Unfortunately it's not really up to Max or Wheeler it's up to Berg and you have to think some team other than the Jets can afford to give up a young C (MTl's main need) in a deal where I don't think the Jets would give up Ros. If Mason Appleton, or Petan get the convo started + + then it should absolutely be perused.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It seems like the price for the marquee guys at the moment is a 1st, young roster player and a good prospect. If the cost stays at that level then I have zero interest paying it. Let other teams pay those prices. We are a talented and deep team and really don't need to add anything really.

Reactions: GNP

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Like I said in the other thread, IMO, selling teams are annoyed no one is ponying up, so they're spreading rumours to attempt to up the prices.

Deadline actually should be entertaining this year.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Still as is but if you see an offer you can't refuse and it's not for a disruptive player then go for it. The parade is looking for real this year and next. They might need to tweak their game a little to beat some of the tougher playoff teams like Boston and Anaheim.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I was also unaware of that. Unfortunately it's not really up to Max or Wheeler it's up to Berg and you have to think some team other than the Jets can afford to give up a young C (MTl's main need) in a deal where I don't think the Jets would give up Ros. If Mason Appleton, or Petan get the convo started + + then it should absolutely be perused.

Of course it's not up to Max or Blake, but if Chevy were interested he'd certainly bring Wheels in to his office to discuss any concerns & the likelihood of Patches resigning.

Sometimes the best scouts are the players, particularly for personal information. Kulikov skated the past few summers with Wheeler & was a former camp member at Gary Roberts with Scheifele. It was reported both Jets gave their nod of approval to Chevy.

Again, I hope the Jets make no moves. This is the first of many great seasons for the Jets & theres no need to be mortgaging assets, particularly when there is room in the system.

Petan, DeLeo, Kostalek & Lodge are the prospects becoming waiver eligible next season with only Petan being a player I'd be concerned of losing. Hendricks & Matthias become UFA's, so there's certainly room for Petan to make the team in a 14F/7D model, even if Connor & Roslovic make the opening day roster.

Laine/Scheifele/Wheeler
Perreault/Little/Ehlers
Copp/Lowry/Tanev
Connor/Roslovic/Armia
Petan/Dano

Last edited:
Reactions: Saintb and GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Grabner is not a good fit for us, he is fast, but he is a one dimensional player and very little playoff experience, not physical at all. I certainly wouldn't give anything up for him as a rental. Sometimes doing nothing is the best decision, depending on our injuries of course. I really hope Lowry is okay.
fast, great PKer/trusted defensively, top 5 Even strength goal scorer last 2 years (not sure if still the case). those are pretty important dimensions to be good at. he sucks on the PP but that's ok we have enough PP depth. he'd be an upgrade at 3 LW (copp/tanev)

i like tanev speed and physical play though and he draws penalties. i dont know the stats but wouldnt be surprised if grabner draws a lot too with his speed. copp to me has been a JAG this year

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
fast, great PKer/trusted defensively, top 5 Even strength goal scorer last 2 years (not sure if still the case). those are pretty important dimensions to be good at. he sucks on the PP but that's ok we have enough PP depth. he'd be an upgrade at 3 LW (copp/tanev)

i like tanev speed and physical play though and he draws penalties. i dont know the stats but wouldnt be surprised if grabner draws a lot too with his speed. copp to me has been a JAG this year
Grabner is the one forward that I could see fitting the bill, as long as Roslo, Connor, nor a first are part of the discussion. Experienced defensive forward, good on the PK, capable of scoring... fits the bill on all fronts. And, I could see him being affordable & young enough to resign should we want to do that.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Grabner is the one forward that I could see fitting the bill, as long as Roslo, Connor, nor a first are part of the discussion. Experienced defensive forward, good on the PK, capable of scoring... fits the bill on all fronts. And, I could see him being affordable & young enough to resign should we want to do that.
I think he will go for similar what Patrick Eaves did in 2016, conditional 1st.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Would he be? He's not having a great year and by all indications he wants to go somewhere where he can get a lot of minutes to secure a lucrative contract. He likely wont get the minutes he needs here.

I think him not having a great year makes it easier for us to get him.

Who knows? Maybe it's a short term thing through the playoffs and see what happens?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I really hope we try for McDonagh or OEL...

I want to see that Defence get recognition and it won’t unless and until we get another 1D... Also more than that I want them to win a Cup for our city NOW!!!

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
All depends. Open ended question. If Trouba still wants to leave go and get OEL with him.

Otherwise we only have room for 1 LW forward and he has to be an improvement on Connor/Roslovic/Tanev/Copp

Jets don't have to pay an inflated price with the excellent forward depth and the above average D depth.

No sense in giving up any future depth unless we get great futures in return. The cap might force us to give up a Copp/Armia/Dano/Connor/Roslovic/Petan/Appleton/Foley one day in the next few years but why do it before we have to.

I tend to agree with this. I don't really see why the sports "experts" think we need to upgrade anyone -- other than to sell papers/draw viewers. Seems like everyone we have has been doing well, and I don't see how we make a deal that improves us enough to be worth the price in depth. With the insanity of the number of injuries we're racking up, we NEED quality depth. If we had traded some of that away already, we might be in some trouble.

I'd maybe be interested in a shut-down Centre if Lowry is in bad shape which I'm worried he might be. BUT, even then, Copp has been doing a good job filling in. And if we need to sell the farm to get an upgrade on Copp ... I don't see it being worth it.

I agree though that if Trouba still wants out, I'd trade him BUT looks like he may be injured past the deadline so that will be a summer thing anyway. I just hope that if he still wants out of Winnipeg, he'll play well to increase is tradeability. He can get a Cup with us this year then go to Florida or wherever the heck he thinks he'd be better off after.

It seems like the price for the marquee guys at the moment is a 1st, young roster player and a good prospect. If the cost stays at that level then I have zero interest paying it. Let other teams pay those prices. We are a talented and deep team and really don't need to add anything really.

Yeah, especially after the Duchesne trade, it seems like it's a seller's market not a buyer's market. People wants insane return and I think the players we have plus quality depth > any possible tradebait player out there.

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
The jets should trade away these players and free up money to sign others to long term contracts.

mathias
lowry
copp
dano
tanev
henricks

enstrom
myers

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
The last couple of games have made me change my opinion from "Jets" should stand pat" to Jets should add at the TD. We need some insurance against being stretched as thin as we are now. Just making the playoffs this year is not enough. We need to win games.

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
what do you guys think of this core to build around.

laine
ehlers
Schief
connor
roslovic
petan

morrisey
trouba

helly

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
what do you guys think of this core to build around.

laine
ehlers
Schief
connor
roslovic
petan

morrisey
trouba

helly
You're missing Lowry and I don't think Petan will ever be considered a core piece. If we get healthy him and Dano seem the most likely players to be in play at the TD. Though teams will want our 1st in any deal far more than either of them.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd agree that players like Petan and Dano will be players Chevy will offer along with next year's first to make a substantial pick up as well as at least one and possibly two other smaller deals. I remember an interview with him at the beginning of the year where he was saying that it was important to have cap space to pick up a player or two if you were confident you could go a long way in the playoffs. He came from Chicago, he's making a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad