Should the Jets make a trade at the deadline or keep the roster as it is?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I saw that you have had scouts at our (pens) last 2 games. we don't seem like trading partners since we both are looking for a center....unless your trading with another team for a center and are looking to move a center to make room..........just a thought. :)

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
My issue is who is this mythical center that is available that we can bring in? Just a quick look at the TSN trade bait list shows that there are very few centers available and those that are Letetsu aren't very good, certainly not worth giving up assets for. We don't have the cap space next season to allocate to another good C.
Brassard. We don't need a true rental, a two year contract would be better IMO. Brassard has not been great lately be he has been through some long playoffs runs and has the experience we could use. You mentioned in your next post we are a bit green here and this guy would help. Place him with Connor Armia and run the Lowry line and bingo we have a far better playoff roster than with Hendricks in there.

Reactions: lablite47

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The one thing we don't have is a heck of a lot of experience at most of our key positions, I would be hesitant to go all in with a very green team.
That's why two years of Brassard makes sense. Then next year you roll with this:
Laine Scheif Wheeler
Perreault Litts Ehlers
Connor Brassard Rolso
Copp Lowry Armia

Now that looks like a winning formula to me. Go a few rounds this year, win it all next.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Interesting idea for a two year rental McDonagh may fetch more than that package but it’s not an insult. The article states Brassard might be a nice target too and man is his line up with Brassard in it drool worthy. We still have to factor in injuries and needing insurance.
And the teams we need to beat will be looking to improve as well. I can't really see Nash doing anything but I can certainly see Vegas going for it. St Loo may be looking to add something. It's a very tough call for me whether we stand pat or go shopping at the dollar store. It wouldn't fit Chevy's MO to go all in after the patience he has shown. But like someone said...he's never been in this position before. An interesting couple weeks ahead fosho.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't remember exactly the lineup you listed earlier. I thought some of it was a little strange TBH. If we are healthy our LW's are Ehlers, Perreault and Connor. A 3rd line of Connor, Lowry, Armia can both score and defend.

A 4th line of Tanev, Copp and Roslovic is also good defensively and still has some offense.

I understand what you are trying to achieve but there is no way you can get a 3C better than Lowry without paying massively above what he should be worth. Top quality TD rentals are always way overpriced.

A 3C better than Lowry has to be very good. The name Bonino often comes up when we talk 3C's. Last year he scored 37 pts. This year he is at a 27 pt rate. Lowry is at a 35 pt rate and is quite a bit better defensively. Lowry's offense is just about typical of a 3C and his defense is much better than the avg. A C like that will cost a lot. When I look at the pending UFA C's on teams likely to miss the PO's the best I can find are Plekanec and Letestu. Neither is as good as Lowry. Not even close. Both are better than Hendricks, maybe, a little. They will probably cost too much too.

The issue isn't with trying to improve our roster. It is price. It is also availability. Those likely to be available just aren't good enough to push Lowry down.
I am suggesting a two year rental. The time is now, meaning this year go a few rounds and win it the next. If we have to give up some futures right now so be it, gotta go for it when we have a chance and we are real close next year. Read that article it shows why we should use our advantage of that cap space. Brassard is far better than Lowry and now our bottom six is real good on the road and Pmo can roll em.
And I don't see Roslo in the playoff lineup, I like him as a player but I don't think PMo quiet trusts him in dzone yet this season.
Brassard for Petan, Stanley and 2019 first rounder should get it done.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The cap situation is nice but it really isn't that significant. Tavares and the Sedins aren't available. The ones who are available are not better than what we have, for the most part and will still cost those assets you are willing to part with.

This is just a pipe-dream, IMO.
Brassard is not an upgrade over the centre we have? Parting with assets is fine when it's time to win. We need to move forward when we have these chances not stand pat. I'm not saying pay thru the roof for a one year rental but make us better by giving up some assets that will still make us fine going forward. A two year rental makes sense. We can't not sell prospects ever! Chevy made a strong lineup when we made playoffs and I think he will do the same now, either the way he did that year or with an impact centre.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am suggesting a two year rental. The time is now, meaning this year go a few rounds and win it the next. If we have to give up some futures right now so be it, gotta go for it when we have a chance and we are real close next year. Read that article it shows why we should use our advantage of that cap space. Brassard is far better than Lowry and now our bottom six is real good on the road and Pmo can roll em.
And I don't see Roslo in the playoff lineup, I like him as a player but I don't think PMo quiet trusts him in dzone yet this season.

The Jets can't afford a two year Brassard rental while leaving bonus overage for Laine, Connor and Roslovic:

We are 4 million over the cap keeping our current core less Myers plus Brassard.

Cap Ceiling 80,000
Forwards
Scheifele 6,130
Wheeler 5,600
Little 5,290
Perrault 4,130
Lowry 3,000
Copp 1,000
Laine 925
Armia 2,000
Connor 925
Ehlers 6,000
Roslovic 894
Tanev 850
Lemieux 839
Brassard* 5,000
Depth 1 -
Forward Total 42,583
Defense
Buff 7,600
Trouba 6,000
Morrissey 5,400
Kulikov 4,330
Toby 2,500
Poolman 1,300
Chariot 1,400
Niku
Defense total 28,530
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Depth
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Goalie
Helle 4,250
Mason 4,100
Comrie
Goalie total 8,350
Bonuses and BO
Rookie 3,500
Stuart BO 582
Bonuses and BO Total 4,082
Total Cap allocated 83,545
Cap space remaining- 3,545
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Even if you bridge Morrissey we can't fit him without subtracting someone else. Not interested in giving up premium assets for essentially one year run before we start selling off pieces next summer.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets can't afford a two year Brassard rental while leaving bonus overage for Laine, Connor and Roslovic:

We are 4 million over the cap keeping our current core less Myers plus Brassard.

Cap Ceiling 80,000
Forwards
Scheifele 6,130
Wheeler 5,600
Little 5,290
Perrault 4,130
Lowry 3,000
Copp 1,000
Laine 925
Armia 2,000
Connor 925
Ehlers 6,000
Roslovic 894
Tanev 850
Lemieux 839
Brassard* 5,000
Depth 1 -
Forward Total 42,583
Defense
Buff 7,600
Trouba 6,000
Morrissey 5,400
Kulikov 4,330
Toby 2,500
Poolman 1,300
Chariot 1,400
Niku
Defense total 28,530
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Depth
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Goalie
Helle 4,250
Mason 4,100
Comrie
Goalie total 8,350
Bonuses and BO
Rookie 3,500
Stuart BO 582
Bonuses and BO Total 4,082
Total Cap allocated 83,545
Cap space remaining- 3,545
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Even if you bridge Morrissey we can't fit him without subtracting someone else. Not interested in giving up premium assets for essentially one year run before we start selling off pieces next summer.

Find a cheaper version of Chiarot, and I think you have Toby way too high, IMO he signs a team friendly one year deal to play bottm pair and it will be low 1 million. Thats a 2.5 million dollar start of savings anyway. It can be done!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Find a cheaper version of Chiarot, and I think you have Toby way too high, IMO he signs a team friendly one year deal to play bottm pair and it will be low 1 million. Thats a 2.5 million dollar start of savings anyway. It can be done!

The point being that you will have to make very difficult decisions on players this summer meaning that Brassard isn't really a two year rental, he is a one year rental plus a 5 million burden next summer that will hurt our ability to keep our current players.

If you want to add another 2nd line center at a second line rate you are weakening another area, most likely defense.

I personally don't see the need for it, we already have a quality set of centers plus Copp who can play 4C at a high level. There isn't enough icetime to make everyone happy in the situation you propose. I'd rather grab a vet C upgrade over Hendricks for the 4th line and keep our picks and prospects.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The point being that you will have to make very difficult decisions on players this summer meaning that Brassard isn't really a two year rental, he is a one year rental plus a 5 million burden next summer that will hurt our ability to keep our current players.

If you want to add another 2nd line center at a second line rate you are weakening another area, most likely defense.

I personally don't see the need for it, we already have a quality set of centers plus Copp who can play 4C at a high level. There isn't enough icetime to make everyone happy in the situation you propose. I'd rather grab a vet C upgrade over Hendricks for the 4th line and keep our picks and prospects.
I'm not the best at trade proposals I will admit. But one thing I will say is TNSE was very clear that when they felt the time was right and they had a chance that they would give the team the best chance to win and spend to the cap. I think Chevy will add in some capacity and my belief is that next year will be the year they go deep.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not the best at trade proposals I will admit. But one thing I will say is TNSE was very clear that when they felt the time was right and they had a chance that they would give the team the best chance to win and spend to the cap. I think Chevy will add in some capacity and my belief is that next year will be the year they go deep.

I don't disagree with any of your points. I feel that next year is the year to try to win it all as our young core will have had some playoff experience and will be poised to go on a run. Chevy will also spend to the cap next season just on the back of keeping all our current players. He wont need to make a big splash to do it.

Next seasons deadline is when I would look to make a number of moves myself. There really isn't much that is rumored to be available this year that really addresses a need or interests me all that much.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm getting some push back on my two year rental at centre idea so I thought of another one :laugh:
Some posters feel we are good and just need to fill in a winger. How much do you think Grabner would cost at the deadline, something similar to what we paid for Tlusty? He could add some speed and scoring depth.
I personally don't like separating Copp and Lowry but I think it was Mort that mentioned doing that so what do you think of this Mort?
Top Six
Connor Lowry Armia
Grabner Copp Tanev

There are some Moose ties there too so they would know the player well anyway.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm getting some push back on my two year rental at centre idea so I thought of another one :laugh:
Some posters feel we are good and just need to fill in a winger. How much do you think Grabner would cost at the deadline, something similar to what we paid for Tlusty? He could add some speed and scoring depth.
I personally don't like separating Copp and Lowry but I think it was Mort that mentioned doing that so what do you think of this Mort?
Top Six
Connor Lowry Armia
Grabner Copp Tanev

There are some Moose ties there too so they would know the player well anyway.

I'd easily swing a deal for him. He has great speed, good in the bottom six and a strong PKer with an expiring deal. Plus as you stated he has ties with the org and city.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's different all right. Don't know for certain that Brassard is available but I think he could be had. He is a good 2C, even borderline 1. The time to go for him would have been when Fefe got hurt.

I think PMo would play Roslovic over Dano or Matthias. He liked him well enough to move him to the top line.

Not sure that package gets Brassard. It might, but I think there might be better offers from other teams - also, Brassard has an NMC. I'm a little unsure of giving up that 1st but I think I'd take that risk ..... if it would work.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
One thought...

Trade for McDonagh or Brassard now for a playoff run, then trade them away at the draft. You might not lose a ton of value.

For example, you could offer a 1st and Petan or Dano for Brassard and then trade him for picks or prospects in the off-season.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
That's different all right. Don't know for certain that Brassard is available but I think he could be had. He is a good 2C, even borderline 1. The time to go for him would have been when Fefe got hurt.

I think PMo would play Roslovic over Dano or Matthias. He liked him well enough to move him to the top line.

Not sure that package gets Brassard. It might, but I think there might be better offers from other teams - also, Brassard has an NMC. I'm a little unsure of giving up that 1st but I think I'd take that risk ..... if it would work.

Regarding the bold, I agree but what I'm saying is I don't think any of the three play this playoff.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
One thought...

Trade for McDonagh or Brassard now for a playoff run, then trade them away at the draft. You might not lose a ton of value.

For example, you could offer a 1st and Petan or Dano for Brassard and then trade him for picks or prospects in the off-season.
Interesting thought. That ever been done?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I like this line for next season, but I just don't see Mo going with this line in the playoffs this season.
I'm surprised your not suggesting we get another puck stoppa to play backup because it looks like Mason never comes back and if he does he's goin to be so rusty being out so long

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd easily swing a deal for him. He has great speed, good in the bottom six and a strong PKer with an expiring deal. Plus as you stated he has ties with the org and city.
Him or Maroon may be more realistic. Maroon has some playoff experience as well and has shown well.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm surprised your not suggesting we get another puck stoppa to play backup because it looks like Mason never comes back and if he does he's goin to be so rusty being out so long
Well, I like Mason but I do worry with concussions and goalies. I think that's why they have kept Hutch around for insurance. I said in another thread that I don't want Helly playing more than 60 to 65 games this season as he may burn out in the end so we need someone to play 8 to 12 games the rest of the way. My hope is that it's Mason and that he returns to form, if not I guess it's Hutch. I lost all faith in him last year and don't have much confidence in him but he's played well in the AHL this year so he will get a chance if Mason is out long term, hope he plays well.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Brassard is not an upgrade over the centre we have? Parting with assets is fine when it's time to win. We need to move forward when we have these chances not stand pat. I'm not saying pay thru the roof for a one year rental but make us better by giving up some assets that will still make us fine going forward. A two year rental makes sense. We can't not sell prospects ever! Chevy made a strong lineup when we made playoffs and I think he will do the same now, either the way he did that year or with an impact centre.

See post just above. :laugh: We're a little out of sync here.
In general I don't believe there is ever a time to 'go for it' like that. It isn't that we can't sell prospects ever. Just don't sell them for short term fixes. Sell prospects that don't fit, like Dano and Petan. Don't sell 1sts and be very wary of selling 2nds and 3rds too. The 2 year rental is a slightly different proposition and the package you suggested would be acceptable, but only just, IMO. The '19 first has a lot of potential, Petan and Stanley might both bring better returns at another time so I value that package.

I believe the better approach - by far - is to keep building up from the bottom. Keep bringing in new players on ELC's. Move the spare parts for more picks. Stay in contention indefinitely and win it all occasionally.

People refer to what Chevy did in '15. Stempniak was a home run - since he cost us nothing at all. Klingberg was already clearly a bust by that time. But Tlusty cost us a 3rd and a 5th and contributed very little. For whatever reason, he was already done in the NHL. Those picks could have netted us good prospects if Chevy chose well. At least the potential would have been there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If we where to get Grabner,

Laine Scheifele - Wheeler (I think they try it when Scheifele is healthy.
Perrault - Little - Ehlers (Doubt they mess with this line the way it is going
Connor - Lowry - Armia
Grabner - Copp - Roslovic/Tanev

I like that forward crew quite a bit.

Reactions: DRW204 and ps241

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well, I like Mason but I do worry with concussions and goalies. I think that's why they have kept Hutch around for insurance. I said in another thread that I don't want Helly playing more than 60 to 65 games this season as he may burn out in the end so we need someone to play 8 to 12 games the rest of the way. My hope is that it's Mason and that he returns to form, if not I guess it's Hutch. I lost all faith in him last year and don't have much confidence in him but he's played well in the AHL this year so he will get a chance if Mason is out long term, hope he plays well.
I like Hutch a lot more than Comrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad