Should the Jets make a trade at the deadline or keep the roster as it is?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I am worried about Toby and his ability to withstand the physicality of the playoffs. But this is probably not our year to make a deep run, so I would say no. Hopefully we will get past the first round, then I suppose anything can happen.

Reactions: sipowicz

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I'm adverse to a deadline trade, but could see the Jets in the mix for Pacioretty.

There's a handful of replies to you, but none mentioned Patches is Wheeler's neighbour at his summer home in Florida & their families are tight with their children even playing together.

Max has also been Blake's summer workout partner since 2016.
This is important information , Kulikov is a Jet because of his relationship with Wheeler and Schiefele.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If the Jets get home ice for the first series and build up some confidence, who knows how far they can go? A 2-3 tweener LHD and a center with lots of playoff experience (Brassard) and this team could really make some noise.
We'd have to give up a fair amount to acquire players at those positions but we can't have all these young forwards forever. We will need to move them if for no other reason than we will lose them to waivers next year.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
If the Jets get home ice for the first series and build up some confidence, who knows how far they can go? A 2-3 tweener LHD and a center with lots of playoff experience (Brassard) and this team could really make some noise.
We'd have to give up a fair amount to acquire players at those positions but we can't have all these young forwards forever. We will need to move them if for no other reason than we will lose them to waivers next year.
The Jets are not in danger of losing anyone of note to waivers next year. The cream of the AHL crop that has served us well Connor, Roslovic, Lemieux, Poolman, Comrie as well as Appleton, Niku all remain waiver exempt. The only major concern would be Petan and a close study of the existing forward contracts has room for Petan on the team even with Connor and Roslovic making the opening day rosters. Things don't get tight until the 2019-2020. It's been extremely good asset management on Chevys part thus far.

Petan, DeLeo, Kostalek & Lodge are the prospects becoming waiver eligible next season with only Petan being a player I'd be concerned of losing. Hendricks & Matthias become UFA's, so there's certainly room for Petan to make the team in a 14F/7D model, even if Connor & Roslovic make the opening day roster.

Laine/Scheifele/Wheeler
Perreault/Little/Ehlers
Copp/Lowry/Tanev
Connor/Roslovic/Armia
Petan/Dano

Last edited:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I changed my mind. Now the Jets have to add because the other contenders will add. Boston wants Maroon. Jets are a bit weak physically. They do fine in fighting but Toby is gonna get killed if he doesn't watch out.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm so back and forth on this subject, that I don't even know why I'm posting :)

We have so much up and coming talent that is doing a great job (and cheap!), and I'd hate to lose any of them, and almost see these playoffs as gaining experience.

Then I think that we're so close to going deep, that I'd love to see another top 6 Center to push us over the edge to contender status.

Of course, everything has to be balanced by player, cost, and future.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I wonder what it would take to get Zuccarello from the Rangers , watching him yesterday was like watching a carbon copy of our Frenchie .
Zuc is s very good player and would be welcomed on any roster.
Speaking of Frenchie him and Buff were our best players yesterday.

Reactions: Jets 31

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I think everyone is looking too much at high end players. I think the Jets should add, but they should add depth. We know the playoffs are a grind, and we're bound to lose players. After the trade deadline roster limits go away, so I think they should focus on bringing in cheap depth players who can step into a playing role if need be.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I'm thinking that one or both of Hutch and Mason will be back for the playoffs, so I wouldn't trade assets for that kind of upgrade. In the playoffs, we'd likely play Helly every game, so the backup position would not be that critical.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'm thinking that one or both of Hutch and Mason will be back for the playoffs, so I wouldn't trade assets for that kind of upgrade. In the playoffs, we'd likely play Helly every game, so the backup position would not be that critical.

Helle needs a break tho. Hes being run hard... Need a guy to take some games.. Wonder if the leafs backup or Pickard is an option

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
If that Hoffman rumour is true, this team would be disgusting. The left Wing would be the envy of the NHL.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Guys that I respect allot all seem to think we should make moves to add so my guess is it’s the right play and probably the play Chevy will make.

I will say one thing I am pretty relaxed about it because we have a really good team with lots of depth so if we make moves it will be fun to watch and if we don’t I am more than fine with how things are.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I am mostly worried about a potential dearth at C if Lowsy can't get back to optimal. Chevy should just go grab Plekanec...I think the Habs take a 1st for him and there's never been a better time to part with a 1st. We're kinda stacked already.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I am mostly worried about a potential dearth at C if Lowsy can't get back to optimal. Chevy should just go grab Plekanec...I think the Habs take a 1st for him and there's never been a better time to part with a 1st. We're kinda stacked already.

Don't spend a first for a fourth liner. NFW

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Don't spend a first for a fourth liner. NFW
Well, I assumed Plekanec would slot in as third C but we do have so many options. I fail to see how dealing a first at this time will impact the team negatively even in the long game. However, if we're dead set against it, maybe Petan would be enough?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Well, I assumed Plekanec would slot in as third C but we do have so many options. I fail to see how dealing a first at this time will impact the team negatively even in the long game. However, if we're dead set against it, maybe Petan would be enough?

I'm not against acquiring him but not at that price. And When Lowry comes back he's a fourth liner. Nothing more than a third. No way he's worth a first.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I'm not against acquiring him but not at that price. And When Lowry comes back he's a fourth liner. Nothing more than a third. No way he's worth a first.
My original post was based on the premise that Lowry won't be back or at least not as effective if he is. Particularly if it's a rotator cuff as some have surmised. Those can be problematic.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
My original post was based on the premise that Lowry won't be back or at least not as effective if he is. Particularly if it's a rotator cuff as some have surmised. Those can be problematic.

There are no reports that he won't be back. But even if it turns out he's hurt worse than they say, that's no reason to blink and overpay

We got Stempniak for Karl klingberg and we got Thlusty for a third and a fifth. Not sure why Pleksnec should get more than that. If not move on look elsewhere

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I don't consider a late 1st as being an overpay at this time. I agree that in a different time/team/ situation it would be but not for us right now. Prices are very high this TD. Pay it....we can afford it.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
If the Jets want to make a serious push for the Cup then Copp - Lowry - Armia needs to be the 4th line when healthy. That means we need to pick up a good top 9 forward. I think that depends on what they think of Roslovic. Can he play center in the playoffs? If so you go after a good 2 way winger. If he can't you need to get a center. No issue with spending a 1st plus prospects for one.

On D pick up some depth that would bump Chiarot from #7. Ian Cole comes to mind.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
If the Jets want to make a serious push for the Cup then Copp - Lowry - Armia needs to be the 4th line when healthy. That means we need to pick up a good top 9 forward. I think that depends on what they think of Roslovic. Can he play center in the playoffs? If so you go after a good 2 way winger. If he can't you need to get a center. No issue with spending a 1st plus prospects for one.

On D pick up some depth that would bump Chiarot from #7. Ian Cole comes to mind.

If there's any way the jets thought roslovic could play center in the NHL this season, they would've tried it out on this homestand. I think it's pretty clear, imo, that they want to pick up another center to play with Ehlers and Laine.

Reactions: allan5oh

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
If there's any way the jets thought roslovic could play center in the NHL this season, they would've tried it out on this homestand. I think it's pretty clear, imo, that they want to pick up another center to play with Ehlers and Laine.

Yes I think they will go after a center. But don't count out trying Roslovic at 3c.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad