Value of: Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

• Total voters

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Fair but if there is no progress for Lafreniere in the playoffs and the Habs win the #1OA pick, we might ask for you to add or not even trade the pick. It would be interesting cause Gorton was GM when the Rangers drafted Lafreniere and he is with the Habs now

I think this is fair and reasonable.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You don't think Chiarot fits well with Fox (5/5)?

None of us know if he is a fit or not.

What I do know is that Ryan Lingren is his regular partner 5 on 5 and that is a good pairing.

Tthe second pairing is quite solid as well.

I don't understand your Habs pick is for the future and Chiarot is for the now? The heart of that trade is... Habs unprotected 1st and Chiarot for Lafreniere and the Rangers 1st (20+). Rangers get someone to play with Fox for the playoffs and get a chance to flip Lafreniere for a center in the next draft. There are a few to choose from in the top 5

Chariot is a rental for a team that is clsoe to winning the SC, the NYR isn't that team.

Also any center they are drafting with that Habs pick might not even be an impact player for them for 2-3 years.

just not a good fit here really for giving up on Laf.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You don't think Chiarot fits well with Fox (5/5)?

I don't understand your Habs pick is for the future and Chiarot is for the now? The heart of that trade is... Habs unprotected 1st and Chiarot for Lafreniere and the Rangers 1st (20+). Rangers get someone to play with Fox for the playoffs and get a chance to flip Lafreniere for a center in the next draft. There are a few to choose from in the top 5
Rangers don't need Chairot with Fox. Rangers need a bottom 3LD. Unless they demote Miller down to 3LD, then they need a 2nd pair LD - but not enough to make this trade bigger than it needs to be.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
but if you wait too long and he busts then you lose all trade value. His production is trending down.
Look at Jack Hughes. 1st overall, “underperformed” ads rookie due to the hype. Improved Sophmore season. Now look at him…. PPG player. People need to chill out. There’s a difference between franchise players and GENERATIONAL talents. Only the latter come in at 18 and dominate. They’re the prodigies of hockey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
None of us know if he is a fit or not.

What I do know is that Ryan Lingren is his regular partner 5 on 5 and that is a good pairing.

Tthe second pairing is quite solid as well.

Chariot is a rental for a team that is clsoe to winning the SC, the NYR isn't that team.

Also any center they are drafting with that Habs pick might not even be an impact player for them for 2-3 years.

just not a good fit here really for giving up on Laf.

Don't have to agree but the 2nd pairing being solid in the regular season might not be the same in the playoffs when it's best on best and everyone is at the top of their games. I personally think you can use Chiarot but if you want to use the 1st to get a center, that's fair. I see two needs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Look at Jack Hughes. 1st overall, “underperformed” ads rookie due to the hype. Improved Sophmore season. Now look at him…. PPG player. People need to chill out. There’s a difference between franchise players and GENERATIONAL talents. Only the latter come in at 18 and dominate. They’re the prodigies of hockey

Hughes is a good example to some degree yes. But this thread to me is if the Rangers want to flip Lafreniere for a center of equal value

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That's kind of what the Oilers said about Yakupov in his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons in the NHL when trade talk started. Not saying Lafreniere turns into Yakupov but I think the point of this thread is to get max return now while he is still young.

I think Lafreniere has a development road like Huberdeau. I compared him to Huberdeau pre draft too and some didn't like it. I believe Huberdeau started to show potential in his age 21 season?

I completely agree that the Rangers should keep him and would give him at least 200 games before even toying with the idea of moving him. There's a huge list of guys who didn't show their full potential at the NHL level until 21+. Adam Fox was still at Harvard at 20 years old. Kreider's first full season was at 22. Panarin didn't come to the NHL until he was 24. Zibby's first 70+ point season was at 25.

And, beyond just the player, if they don't trust the scouts enough to give Laf a legit chance to develop, what's the sense in trading him for a high pick and giving the scouts another chance? Seems like a pretty big gamble to me.

Reactions: mouser

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I completely agree that the Rangers should keep him and would give him at least 200 games before even toying with the idea of moving him. There's a huge list of guys who didn't show their full potential at the NHL level until 21+. Adam Fox was still at Harvard at 20 years old. Kreider's first full season was at 22. Panarin didn't come to the NHL until he was 24. Zibby's first 70+ point season was at 25.

And, beyond just the player, if they don't trust the scouts enough to give Laf a legit chance to develop, what's the sense in trading him for a high pick and giving the scouts another chance? Seems like a pretty big gamble to me.

I'm a big fan of Lafreniere. The only way I see them trading him is for a center close to the same age and potential.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm a big fan of Lafreniere. The only way I see them trading him is for a center close to the same age and potential.

That would make some sense, but which Cs of the same age/potential would even be available without requiring the Rangers to add something pretty significant? I think most teams would prefer to keep their good young C, and don't really see anyone from the 2018-2021 drafts that would be a good candidate for that trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That would make some sense, but which Cs of the same age/potential would even be available without requiring the Rangers to add something pretty significant? I think most teams would prefer to keep their good young C, and don't really see anyone from the 2018-2021 drafts that would be a good candidate for that trade.

It would take a unique rare circumstance yes. Two teams trading from a position of strength with needs coming the other way.

Personally, I would consider the Habs unprotected 1st for Lafreniere. We can use a center too but we can also use a LW like Lafreniere. We get 2 years older and the Rangers get another shot at drafting a center they need. Even if it's Wright, I consider this trade.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
What if the Habs just OS him in summer 2023??? Depending on his development, we could really make NYR squirm with a solid OS!

That would be the perfect scenario after drafting Wright and Bedard in the next two drafts!

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
If they were going to make that trade they should have traded the pick.

The Rangers were obviously expecting more from Laf when they made that pick. He was supposed to contribute at a fairly high level from day 1. A player like that on ELC has insane value to a contender with limited cap space.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Pettersson from Vancouver could use a fresh start...says some Canuck fans. Issue is salary difference and what else NYR would want as the Pedigree of #1 overall still holds more value than Pettersson on his own since he is having an "off" season thus far

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It would take a unique rare circumstance yes. Two teams trading from a position of strength with needs coming the other way.

Personally, I would consider the Habs unprotected 1st for Lafreniere. We can use a center too but we can also use a LW like Lafreniere. We get 2 years older and the Rangers get another shot at drafting a center they need. Even if it's Wright, I consider this trade.

I personally don't see the Habs giving up the potential 1OA pick in the draft they are hosting, nor do I ever favor getting older just to get older, but can the Habs actually trade their 1st right now? Wouldn't they have to wait until it's mathematically impossible for their pick to drop out of the top 10 (aka guaranteed bottom 8 finish in the standings) to satisfy the conditions of the Dvorak trade?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I personally don't see the Habs giving up the potential 1OA pick in the draft they are hosting, nor do I ever favor getting older just to get older, but can the Habs actually trade their 1st right now? Wouldn't they have to wait until it's mathematically impossible for their pick to drop out of the top 10 (aka guaranteed bottom 8 finish in the standings) to satisfy the conditions of the Dvorak trade?

If it's 1/1, it don't happen in season. Two reasons. Rangers will use Lafreniere for the playoffs and the other reason... Habs can't trade the pick until we know it's a top 10. If it got serious in season, Habs can only offer one of the picks. But lets face it, Habs are drafting in the top 10 and more likely top 5.

Would the Habs do it? Not sure but I would personally consider it. Even if we get Wright

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This. And most likely he’d have to be cost controlled. 1-2 more offseasons working on his skating/nhl speed and he’s gonna be a damn good one.
Size/shot/ edge to his game/ Heart. Etc are all there.
Kid checks a lot of boxes already, on a bad team with good line mates and getting PP time, of course he’d have more points.
Coming up in a 3rd line capacity, limited ice time, none on the PP, with chytil/Gauthier isn’t ideal for him right now.
It would take a massive trade to get the Rangers to move their first 1OVA in about 100 years.....
Wright and Othmann do have a history, and NYR could use a cost controlled C.
But if you get the 1OA and draft Wright, why trade Him for Laf and give up 3 years of ELC control?
I don’t see any GM that thinks Laf would be that superior to Wright to justify even making a trade like that tbh..
And if it’s not enticing to NYR/Drury, there’s absolutely no reason to move laf.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This. And most likely he’d have to be cost controlled. 1-2 more offseasons working on his skating/nhl speed and he’s gonna be a damn good one.
Size/shot/ edge to his game/ Heart. Etc are all there.
Kid checks a lot of boxes already, on a bad team with good line mates and getting PP time, of course he’d have more points.
Coming up in a 3rd line capacity, limited ice time, none on the PP, with chytil/Gauthier isn’t ideal for him right now.

It's surprising to me to see him struggle on the offensive points area but the kid just dominated the WJC at age 18 when you usually see that in age 19 seasons. Not too many have dominated like that in their draft year at age 18.

Regardless, it's not about him busting. It's about flipping him for a center of equal value and potential if they consider a trade.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
The Rangers aren’t/shouldn’t trade Lafreniere

Not sure how this became a thread about Montreal, but…. Montreal can’t trade their 1st until after the season so if it turns out it’s too 3 there’s no way they should move that pick for a winger when they can get a high end C in the draft at that position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad