Value of: Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

• Total voters

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If they are stupid, sure.

Kid has played, 55 games of COVID hockey, and isn't even halfway done in his sophomore season..

Not everyone comes into the league like McDavid and Crosby.

but if you wait too long and he busts then you lose all trade value. His production is trending down.

Reactions: malcb33

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
His trade value is still really, really high. I think he's 1 more really bad season away from his value taking a serious hit.

Should they trade him? I don't know - but I think most people here will vote "no" because they assume his trade value is super low now. And I disagree completely. Still close enough to #1 overall that his value is still sky high. Less so than at draft maybe, but still quite significant.

If they have a very specific team need and can get a really good offer - sure, maybe trade him.

Reactions: AirGut

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
His production is trending down? From what his Junior days? lmao

He is in his second NHL season.
Yeah and he looks terrible. He needs to be demoted to the AHL because the rangers are killing his development, leaving him on the third line and struggling. Let him be a star in the A and build his confidence back.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Probably give it another year, if there is still struggle maybe do something like Boston did in the Seguin trade.

Lafreniere did better than Seguin their 1st NHL season, but Seguin did much, much better in their 2nd. Can't imagine Lafreniere goes on a massive tear at this point.

Though, they might get the same in return.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
In the minds of most, he is less of a sure thing now than he was on draft day. The question the Rangers would have to ask themselves is one of a gamble. Do they gamble that he is going to develop more and reach his draft pedigree (keep him) or do they gamble that he has peaked and can't modify to the NHL (then trade him NOW!).

If he was a Hab I would %100 keep him. So there is my answer. Keep him and gamble that he will reach his pedigree.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Probably give it another year, if there is still struggle maybe do something like Boston did in the Seguin trade.

Or they wait it out and get a Yakupov return :sarcasm:. I'm kidding, I'm a big Lafreniere fan and he will come around. Personally, I would trade the Habs 1st for Lafreniere (unprotected). I think anybody in that top 5 will have maturity years like Lafreneire... including Wright.

Reactions: waitin425

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Or they wait it out and get a Yakupov return :sarcasm:. I'm kidding, I'm a big Lafreniere fan and he will come around. Personally, I would trade the Habs 1st for Lafreniere (unprotected). I think anybody in that top 5 will have maturity years like Lafreneire... including Wright.

hmmmm. I actually like this. Would the Rags do Habs 2022 1st (unprotected) + 2 x 2022 3rd's for Laf?

I would be willing to part with that from a Habs POV. Especially if we acquire another 1st or two via Chairot, Gally or Allen

latvian locomotive

Nov 29, 2014
I said they should have traded the first overall pick when they won it.
They already have Stanley Cup tier wing quality and quantity. They need better centers and a bolstered left-side.

Man if only there was an Elite center available????
Those Golden Knight are super excited right now that teams overvalue their own 3rd line wingers!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No . You don't trade him . A prefect example is Puljujarvi . Everyone and their dog was call him a bust and offering very little for him . He is looking good in Edmonton now , well good for the most part . The last 10+ games no one has looked good

Could be a Puljujarvi or Yakupov though. That's the point of the thread and Oilers fans would understand both ends of that

Reactions: gianni

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
hmmmm. I actually like this. Would the Rags do Habs 2022 1st (unprotected) + 2 x 2022 3rd's for Laf?

I would be willing to part with that from a Habs POV. Especially if we acquire another 1st or two via Chairot, Gally or Allen

Not sure but I posted this one in a thread and they hated it... I think the value is there. Gives the Rangers improvements now for their playoffs and also gives them a shot at drafting a center which they need IMO.

* Habs 1st (unprotected)
* Chiarot (50% retention)
* Lehkonen
* Harris
for
* Lafreniere
* Rangers 1st (lottery protection if required)
* Rangers 2023 2nd rounder
* Kravtsov

Habs top 5 pick vs Lafreniere
Chiarot vs 1st
Lehkonen vs 2nd
Harris vs Kravtsov

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Not sure but I posted this one in a thread and they hated it... I think the value is there. Gives the Rangers improvements now for their playoffs and also gives them a shot at drafting a center which they need IMO.

* Habs 1st (unprotected)
* Chiarot (50% retention)
* Lehkonen
* Harris
for
* Lafreniere
* Rangers 1st (lottery protection if required)
* Rangers 23 2nd rounder
* Kravtsov

Habs top 5 pick vs Lafreniere
Chiarot vs 1st
Lehkonen vs 2nd
Harris vs Kravtsov

Value isnt crazy...but just too big of a trade IMO. This many moving parts doesnt happen very often.

Stick with the Habs 1st for Laf and add some minor sweeteners to make the deal work. (like the 2 x 2022 3rds)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Value isnt crazy...but just too big of a trade IMO. This many moving parts doesnt happen very often.

Stick with the Habs 1st for Laf and add some minor sweeteners to make the deal work. (like the 2 x 2022 3rds)

Fair but I think that trade fits for both sides. For the now and the future. Regardless, I understand the multiple parts moving. Rare but certainly possible.

In terms of the Habs 1st for Lafreniere. Basically this is draft day talk. Rangers would not make that trade prior to the playoffs so if that trade happens (big if), its on draft day or after we know where the Habs pick. Personally, If it's a top 3 or top 5 pick, I'm not adding cause I don't think it's required.

Reactions: waitin425

member 334057

No reason to trade a kid who's barely even played a full seasons worth of games so far. I get his production is less than what people hope for comparing him to other 1st overall picks, but he's also playing 13 minutes a night and has 2 pretty good wingers in front of him on the depth chart.

I think the Rangers just need to work on finding him more ice time and a way to get him taking more shots per game, Kids shot 17% both seasons so far which is pretty good for a rookie and sophomore season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad