Value of: Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not sure but I posted this one in a thread and they hated it... I think the value is there. Gives the Rangers improvements now for their playoffs and also gives them a shot at drafting a center which they need IMO.

* Habs 1st (unprotected)
* Chiarot (50% retention)
* Lehkonen
* Harris
for
* Lafreniere
* Rangers 1st (lottery protection if required)
* Rangers 2023 2nd rounder
* Kravtsov

Habs top 5 pick vs Lafreniere
Chiarot vs 1st
Lehkonen vs 2nd
Harris vs Kravtsov

Where is the need or even want to do this from the NYR POV?

Looks more like a Hab want.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As a neutral fan, I get a case for NYR swapping Lafreniere for a very high Habs pick at the draft if the situation continues, but doing it now while Lafereniere is still an NHL player they could use in the playoffs and you don't know exactly what Habs pick you're getting? Seems pretty nuts to me.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't think they get anything back that helps them going into next year, by trading Lafreniere. Rangers can't take a lot of cap, so you're not going to find a team that wants to trade away a really good player for cap reasons. Draft picks are just chances at finding another player, and most of the top 10 won't be playing next season. Teams aren't lining up to trade away elite prospects expected to join the NHL next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where is the need or even want to do this from the NYR POV?

Looks more like a Hab want.

You might not agree but this is the line of thinking for the Rangers side...

* Gives them bodies for their playoff run. Chiarot is a beast in the playoffs and he skates very well for a big man. Lehkonen is a very good bottom 6F who plays an effective 200' game. His forecheck and skating is underrated
* Gives them a shot at drafting a center after this playoff run in replace of Lafreniere who is a struggling winger going through maturity years.
* They might not need Harris but it's a solid return for Kravtsov who I believe they tried to move but didn't get the value they wanted. If that's a problem we can subtract these two pieces

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Why on earth would the Rangers trade him NOW? His value is FAR from what it was immediately after that draft, and what it will most likely become in the future unless he fizzles out like Yakupov but we are quite far away from that scenario at this point and time.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Man if only there was an Elite center available????
Those Golden Knight are super excited right now that teams overvalue their own 3rd line wingers!
Rangers can't afford it. That's the problem. I suppose they make the trade and Zibanejad is gone but I'm not sure that puts us in a much better spot as we'd still have a hole in that position, without the assets we gave up.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
if yes for what return?

no, any expected return is not enuf.

key here is recognize LaF is fully all we thought/hoped, EXCEPT his teen legs are still being worked out to get to primo NHL level.

Like Strome, he is an adequate + skater at the moment. He looks good w/Strome b'c they are at the same level of skating.

Unlike Strome, who has plateaued as far as skating is concerned, LaF is still improving.

Rangers should stop using Strome as a crutch, sell offensively gifted 2C for a proft, use Barron at 3C, get offensive boost from Kravtsov as soon as he can get here. Use Chytil as 2C LaF-Chytil [better skater than either LaF/Strome] and Gauthier [great skater w/Kreider-esque speed]. Let that line grow together as LaF skating develops.

Impatience, win now foolishness is not the answer in the long run

also
CAP CAP CAP

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
As a neutral fan, I get a case for NYR swapping Lafreniere for a very high Habs pick at the draft if the situation continues, but doing it now while Lafereniere is still an NHL player they could use in the playoffs and you don't know exactly what Habs pick you're getting? Seems pretty nuts to me.
Habs aren't trading a top5 pick this year for Lafreniere. Not after 2 busts year in the show

Reactions: Zahra Starker

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why on earth would the Rangers trade him NOW? His value is FAR from what it was immediately after that draft, and what it will most likely become in the future unless he fizzles out like Yakupov but we are quite far away from that scenario at this point and time.

That's kind of what the Oilers said about Yakupov in his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons in the NHL when trade talk started. Not saying Lafreniere turns into Yakupov but I think the point of this thread is to get max return now while he is still young.

I think Lafreniere has a development road like Huberdeau. I compared him to Huberdeau pre draft too and some didn't like it. I believe Huberdeau started to show potential in his age 21 season?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If anything send him to their ahl team build up that confidence and then unleash him in the NHL. Profit on the scoreboard for years to come

Usage has something to do with it too. Look at J Hughes. Getting more min/game and #1 PP unit with the Devils while Lafreniere is getting less min/game and 2nd PP unit that is nowhere as good as the first unit?

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Fair but I think that trade fits for both sides. For the now and the future. Regardless, I understand the multiple parts moving. Rare but certainly possible.

In terms of the Habs 1st for Lafreniere. Basically this is draft day talk. Rangers would not make that trade prior to the playoffs so if that trade happens (big if), its on draft day or after we know where the Habs pick. Personally, If it's a top 3 or top 5 pick, I'm not adding cause I don't think it's required.

Habs 1st (unprotected) – before the lottery.
My answer is no.

Habs 1st OA3-5 (losing the lottery) – after the lottery
My answer is no.

Habs 1st OA1 (lottery win) – after the lottery.
My answer is no - (there is Lafreniere progress in the Stanley Cup).
My answer is yes - (no progress Lafreniere in Stanley Cup).

Gaud

May 11, 2017
hmmmm. I actually like this. Would the Rags do Habs 2022 1st (unprotected) + 2 x 2022 3rd's for Laf?

I would be willing to part with that from a Habs POV. Especially if we acquire another 1st or two via Chairot, Gally or Allen

Habs fan here, and this doesn't make sense to me if the habs get 1st OA. Id love to have laff on our team, but the OP and conversation is suggesting that the rangers would be open to trading him because they have lots of promising talent at wing and he is dissapointing so far. And somehow, this still leaves him valuable enough for the habs to trade the (possible) 1st overall AND add 2 3rds? Not to mention that the Habs would be passing up on a projecting elite center, which is something that has been sorely missing in Mtl for almost 30 years. Also W<C

If i look at the draft rankings, id be open to trade picks otherwise, though some place more Cs in the top 5 than others

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs 1st (unprotected) – before the lottery.
My answer is no.

Habs 1st OA3-5 (losing the lottery) – after the lottery
My answer is no.

Habs 1st OA1 (lottery win) – after the lottery.
My answer is no - (there is Lafreniere progress in the Stanley Cup).
My answer is yes - (no progress Lafreniere in Stanley Cup).

Fair but if there is no progress for Lafreniere in the playoffs and the Habs win the #1OA pick, we might ask for you to add or not even trade the pick. It would be interesting cause Gorton was GM when the Rangers drafted Lafreniere and he is with the Habs now

Reactions: Ice Mammoth

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You might not agree but this is the line of thinking for the Rangers side...

* Gives them bodies for their playoff run. Chiarot is a beast in the playoffs and he skates very well for a big man. Lehkonen is a very good bottom 6F who plays an effective 200' game. His forecheck and skating is underrated
* Gives them a shot at drafting a center after this playoff run in replace of Lafreniere who is a struggling winger going through maturity years.
* They might not need Harris but it's a solid return for Kravtsov who I believe they tried to move but didn't get the value they wanted. If that's a problem we can subtract these two pieces

Bodies for a playoff run, if anything they need another center not another Dman, same with Harris as prospect they simply don't need him.

The NYR have enough bottom 6 guys already as well, just would be a really baffling move for the NYR.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
No . You don't trade him . A prefect example is Puljujarvi . Everyone and their dog was call him a bust and offering very little for him . He is looking good in Edmonton now , well good for the most part . The last 10+ games no one has looked good

what about Yakupov example? and unlike Puljujarvi at those times you speak of Lafreniere still has high trade value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bodies for a playoff run, if anything they need another center not another Dman, same with Harris as prospect they simply don't need him.

The NYR have enough bottom 6 guys already as well, just would be a really baffling move for the NYR.

The Center need is fair. But who you going to get? What happens if that falls through? IMO, Chiarot would look very good with Fox at 5/5. You might think your D is fine but it's a different game in the playoffs. I kind of see two needs with the Rangers for this playoffs.... if you want to make some noise and go on a run

Harris vs Kravtsov. We can subtract them out if need be. Not worth derailing the conversation.

Lehknoen would improve the bottom 6 IMO. Not worth a major argument over

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The Center need is fair. But who you going to get? What happens if that falls through? IMO, Chiarot would look very good with Fox at 5/5. You might think your D is fine but it's a different game in the playoffs. I kind of see two needs with the Rangers for this playoffs.... if you want to make some noise and go on a run

Harris vs Kravtsov. We can subtract them out if need be. Not worth derailing the conversation.

Lehknoen would improve the bottom 6 IMO. Not worth a major argument over

The thing is that the draft pick for the Habs is for the future and Chaiarot is for now (also for a team that really doesn't need another top 4 Dman), it's the fit that doesn't work here.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The thing is that the draft pick for the Habs is for the future and Chaiarot is for now (also for a team that really doesn't need another top 4 Dman), it's the fit that doesn't work here.

You don't think Chiarot fits well with Fox (5/5)?

I don't understand your Habs pick is for the future and Chiarot is for the now? The heart of that trade is... Habs unprotected 1st and Chiarot for Lafreniere and the Rangers 1st (20+). Rangers get someone to play with Fox for the playoffs and get a chance to flip Lafreniere for a center in the next draft. There are a few to choose from in the top 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad