Value of: Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

• Total voters

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Should only be considered for trade after his production establishes his potential and value, and when he prices himself out.
No prob dealing but not for cheap.
EFEFCA7E-4194-4EEF-96F0-FDA8D3F41D77.gif

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What was his scouting report in Juniors, and what is it now? He seems like a player that doesnt going to dominate, isnt a step above anyone skillwise. He was a big kid that could skate well for his size, and had NHL ready hands. I dont see "Huberdau" oozong talent here. As you could see him as drafted. Laf looks like a regular NHL player. Like a modern Joe Murphy, good player, but not that no 1 overall talent you tie to his draft position.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
What was his scouting report in Juniors, and what is it now? He seems like a player that doesnt going to dominate, isnt a step above anyone skillwise. He was a big kid that could skate well for his size, and had NHL ready hands. I dont see "Huberdau" oozong talent here. As you could see him as drafted. Laf looks like a regular NHL player. Like a modern Joe Murphy, good player, but not that no 1 overall talent you tie to his draft position.
He has flashes. He's already a pretty talented goal scorer who's not been given very many opportunities since he is on an established team - with Panarin and Kreider ahead of him on LW. He's gotten literally zero PP1 time, barely any PP at all on the second unit. The vision and playmaking that he was showing in junior is what has been missing from his NHL game. Hard to imagine that has just disappeared, still have hope that he will start to translate that with time as he's given more opportunities.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
He has flashes. He's already a pretty talented goal scorer who's not been given very many opportunities since he is on an established team - with Panarin and Kreider ahead of him on LW. He's gotten literally zero PP1 time, barely any PP at all on the second unit. The vision and playmaking that he was showing in junior is what has been missing from his NHL game. Hard to imagine that has just disappeared, still have hope that he will start to translate that with time as he's given more opportunities.

You get PP time when you deserve it. Qjhml is lightyears frpm NHL, I think that may be reason for missing playmaking and vision.
And his confidence is probably a bit shot, after realising it was harder than expected.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You get PP time when you deserve it. Qjhml is lightyears frpm NHL, I think that may be reason for missing playmaking and vision.
And his confidence is probably a bit shot, after realising it was harder than expected.
I get this sentiment, but as an organization you probably would want to build up an asset that you've invested a 1st OV selection into, rather than allow them to waste away whatever value they had.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What about sending him to MIN for Kevin Fiala?
I would target someone else, from MN's perspective. Laf looks pretty pedestrian. Average speed, and all that skill and IQ he showed in junior doesn't seem to be in evidence. He is being outplayed by fellow 2020 draftees like Raymond, Lundell, Stutzle, Mercer, Drysdale, and Jarvis, and Quin and Sanderson look very promising.
I also don't think that NYR can fit Fiala into their cap going forward without sending cap back to MN, so even if they were ready to punt on Laf then they need a different sort of return. Fiala is a fantastic return, otherwise....he is a no doubt, first line player who has the ability to take over games.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He actually has done a good job of setting his teammates up this year, unfortunately none of them haved ended up in the back of the net.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Oops.

But anyway.
They giving him the tine he needs. One problem is that Lafrannierre nor is the dynamic, very skilled player. Nor the elegant french- canadian, he is to some extent a bit powerforward - but not really a powerforward.

He is not the fast and flashy, and he is not the supreme playmaker a la Thornton - but he is getting there.

He is good at a lot of things, but got no aces in one specific area.

I think he will become a onish goalscorer- playmaker 2 way forward, and that is OK. Give him two more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oops.

But anyway.
They giving him the tine he needs. One problem is that Lafrannierre nor is the dynamic, very skilled player. Nor the elegant french- canadian, he is to some extent a bit powerforward - but not really a powerforward.

He is not the fast and flashy, and he is not the supreme playmaker a la Thornton - but he is getting there.

He is good at a lot of things, but got no aces in one specific area.

I think he will become a onish goalscorer- playmaker 2 way forward, and that is OK. Give him two more years.

I had him compared to a Huberdeau in his prime (pre draft) and I still think Lafreniere can be that type of winger.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What about sending him to MIN for Kevin Fiala?
I would target someone else, from MN's perspective. Laf looks pretty pedestrian. Average speed, and all that skill and IQ he showed in junior doesn't seem to be in evidence. He is being outplayed by fellow 2020 draftees like Raymond, Lundell, Stutzle, Mercer, Drysdale, and Jarvis, and Quin and Sanderson look very promising.
I also don't think that NYR can fit Fiala into their cap going forward without sending cap back to MN, so even if they were ready to punt on Laf then they need a different sort of return. Fiala is a fantastic return, otherwise....he is a no doubt, first line player who has the ability to take over games.
Okay - will preface this by saying that I don’t think Lafreniere is moving. But will speak in that context.

So the Fiala shout is interesting at least because that’s kind of the deal that the Rangers would probably looking for to make a deal. It’s a win now move where they move Lafreniere to a team that needs the cap room. I get it. Makes sense. Problem is, as mentioned, the Rangers probably can’t afford Fiala either.

That being said, that’s the kind of move the Rangers would need to do for a Lafreniere deal to make sense. The problem is it’s a very limited pool of guys that would fit that criteria; under contract at least two/three years at less than 5m/5.5m-ish. The Rangers don’t need more futures they need NHL level players ready to contribute now, that are locked in on good contracts. Shocking, I know - just like everybody else.

Talking about Minnesota I’m sure the Rangers would ask for Boldy (for example) instead of Fiala, and value conversation aside, there isn’t really a reason for Minny to do that; only helps the Rangers, doesn’t help Minny’s cap.

But again not a lot of targets. Maybe you look at guys like this to move Lafreniere. Not saying 1 for 1 but some names maybe you could target (no particular order) would be the following:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
So here's the thing.

When Puljujarvi asked for a trade, everyone on these boards offered a 5th rounder for him.

At some point it's a better gamble to keep your player and give them all the time and resources to turn it around than to watch them turn it around on another team.

Laf has HUGE potential to turn it around and become a 90 point player. Even if he doesn't improve at 20 years old, a 20 goal winger (pretty much all at ES) is still damn useful.

There's absolutely zero reason for the Rags to trade Laf.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
So here's the thing.

When Puljujarvi asked for a trade, everyone on these boards offered a 5th rounder for him.

At some point it's a better gamble to keep your player and give them all the time and resources to turn it around than to watch them turn it around on another team.

Laf has HUGE potential to turn it around and become a 90 point player. Even if he doesn't improve at 20 years old, a 20 goal winger (pretty much all at ES) is still damn useful.

There's absolutely zero reason for the Rags to trade Laf.
What about Laf is his way to become a 90 pt player?

If he starts today and training skating 3h a day, I could see it

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What about Laf is his way to become a 90 pt player?

If he starts today and training skating 3h a day, I could see it
While the fact he needed to upgrade skating at NHL career sq1, and given that at all, that it is taking this long, the fact we are seeing progress and expect it to be more than incremental by mid next season, is all key to valuation.

Do you believe the hype which was something like "best non generational 1OA since MacKinnon". And even if you don't go there, how close DO YOU GO?

If someone wants to buy low Rangers have to expect his value at SOMETHING less than all that hype, BUT NOT at this pt crazy amount less.

The value is high, pending what we see by mid next season and if his skating by then suggests even further upside. As I said, we should not take less just to move him, his upside is still good, but a solid offer, given our cap reality exacerbated by Copp + Vatrano additions should be seriously considered.

NY should also look at a base down and additional picks based on if/when LaF produces.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
While the fact he needed to upgrade skating at NHL career sq1, and given that at all, that it is taking this long, the fact we are seeing progress and expect it to be more than incremental by mid next season, is all key to valuation.

Do you believe the hype which was something like "best non generational 1OA since MacKinnon". And even if you don't go there, how close DO YOU GO?

If someone wants to buy low Rangers have to expect his value at SOMETHING less than all that hype, BUT NOT at this pt crazy amount less.

The value is high, pending what we see by mid next season and if his skating by then suggests even further upside. As I said, we should not take less just to move him, his upside is still good, but a solid offer, given our cap reality exacerbated by Copp + Vatrano additions should be seriously considered.

NY should also look at a base down and additional picks based on if/when LaF produces.
I could see Laf becoming a bigher pöayer than Kakko, easy.
Lets see what both do next two seasons.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I think there's alot more reason for concern about Laf and Kakko than the New York Shesterkins fans let on, but honestly neither of them would return value NY would deem acceptable so there's no point. The best option is retain and hope for the best

Last edited:
Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad