Value of: Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

• Total voters

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
View attachment 530907
The statistics don’t match your last sentence.
Nobody on NYR has PP points outside of the PP1 lol. The Rangers run 1 PP unit.
There was a good article for Fantasy Hockey on the West power play units. They breakdown unit 1 vs unit 2. I couldn't find one for the east. But this gives you a general idea of what the second unit should be averaging, or where they rank in the list. Keep in mind minutes is not a focus here.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Leafs would love some LW depth. We likely lose Mikheyev and can catch lightning in a bottle with Lefrenierre. I know I've floated Nylander in the past but that's not a straight up swap. Leafs would want additional assets back. For Toronto, we lose the better player but can gain some valuable cap space in return. Still not sure about this but Nylander hasn't meshed well with Tavares, and is too talented to at on a third line.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Leafs would love some LW depth. We likely lose Mikheyev and can catch lightning in a bottle with Lefrenierre. I know I've floated Nylander in the past but that's not a straight up swap. Leafs would want additional assets back. For Toronto, we lose the better player but can gain some valuable cap space in return. Still not sure about this but Nylander hasn't meshed well with Tavares, and is too talented to at on a third line.
Rangers don't have the cap to make that work. I don't think he's the ideal fit at 2c for us at 6.9 cap hit, which would be our biggest need assuming Copp isn't taking that position. And while I like Copp, he's much better on the wing and handling the faceoff responsibilities. That pushes him to a cheaper RW option with Kakko, forcing us to push one down in favor of Nylander and 6.9 cap hit to RW.

I don't think there's a real fit here at the expense of Laf + assets.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Rangers don't have the cap to make that work. I don't think he's the ideal fit at 2c for us at 6.9 cap hit, which would be our biggest need assuming Copp isn't taking that position. And while I like Copp, he's much better on the wing and handling the faceoff responsibilities. That pushes him to a cheaper RW option with Kakko, forcing us to push one down in favor of Nylander and 6.9 cap hit to RW.

I don't think there's a real fit here at the expense of Laf + assets.

That's sensible.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
I wonder if there could be something around Fiala. Fiala's obviously the much better player right now but many of us (including Russo) think that it's a Foregone conclusion that the Wild have to let him go because of cap constraints. They play the same position - maybe if the Wild front office still see good potential in Laf's game... dunno. Just spitballing.

As a Wild fan, I wouldn't even consider it if not for the cap hell we're about to be in, But Billy G's got to get creative somehow.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I wonder if there could be something around Fiala. Fiala's obviously the much better player right now but many of us (including Russo) think that it's a Foregone conclusion that the Wild have to let him go because of cap constraints. They play the same position - maybe if the Wild front office still see good potential in Laf's game... dunno. Just spitballing.

As a Wild fan, I wouldn't even consider it if not for the cap hell we're about to be in, But Billy G's got to get creative somehow.

I can't imagine the Rangers would be able to afford Fiala either

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
They should not trade him, but if they are dumb enough to do it, Montreal offers:

Josh Anderson, CGY 2022 1st, MTL 2023 1st (top 10 protected, if top 10 then MTL 2024 1st).

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
So, after resting him in the press box, they are resting him on the frickin 4th line with no PP time?

Ouch.

That is a lot of rest indeed for a former 1 OA scoring winger.

Hopefully he can show that he's a grinder, maybe Reaves will show him how to fight?

WTF is Gallant doing?

Last edited:

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
To Rangers: Josh Anderson

To Canadiens: Alexi Lafreniere

We can take a salary dump from NY to make this work

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Im so tired of reading low ball proposals in this thread for Laf that are: Middle six middle aged, middle production guys due a payday for Laf and/or middling prospects. Thats never going to get it done folks.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I would probably be ok trading Lafreniere for a top 5 draft pick. Don't think other types of trades make sense,

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
To Rangers: Josh Anderson

To Canadiens: Alexi Lafreniere

We can take a salary dump from NY to make this work
You'd have to add in Calgary's first and maybe Poehling. That's what I'd pay. Rangers are stacked on D so anything back there won't work.

If the Rangers wanted a top five pick or something like that (which Montreal does have) I'd have to say no thanks. Ditto for anything that included Suzuki or Caufield. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Rangers demand more than I'd be willing to give up. Still a great prospect.

Thing is, they should probably trade him somewhere. He's being wasted and I don't see it changing going forward given the depth chart.

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So, after resting him in the press box, they are resting him on the frickin 4th line with no PP time?

Ouch.

That is a lot of rest indeed for a former 1 OA scoring winger.

Hopefully he can show that he's a grinder, maybe Reaves will show him how to fight?

WTF is Gallant doing?

They just won 4-0 without him, and the Kakko line was probably their best line. Why change a winning team? Rangers are still trying to win their division. No reason to break up a good line until they show otherwise. This isn’t exactly an ouch.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad