shootout in finals?

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Thanks for the insight, I'd prefer it that way in the NHL but I'll watch no matter what they do haha.

Think they should apply it to the international competitions as well but it is what it is.

We had shootouts before dont rememer when they were removed.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Its ridiculous and terrible. Capping off a teams fate after a hard fought effort through the tournament and game with a skills competition is god awful.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Most broadcasters wouldn't do that, it's not going to happen. Reducing the OT to 3 players each could be more realistic.

Several years ago, the then head of the Finnish hockey fed and IIHF vice secretary Kalervo Kummola was asked on Finnish tv during the intermission studio segment why there isn't a continous OT in the final. He said that because broadcasters buy satellite time, they have to know the exact time window. A continous OT could go past that window.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Several years ago, the then head of the Finnish hockey fed and IIHF vice secretary Kalervo Kummola was asked on Finnish tv during the intermission studio segment why there isn't a continous OT in the final. He said that because broadcasters buy satellite time, they have to know the exact time window. A continous OT could go past that window.
Yes this right here is the culprit. Broadcasting to many countries means trade offs like this. Let's just hope it doesn't worm its way to the NHL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes this right here is the culprit. Broadcasting to many countries means trade offs like this. Let's just hope it doesn't worm its way to the NHL.

Well the NHL operates on North American soil and caters primarily to those audeinces and thus doesn't rely on similar broadcasting methods. The international feeds are usually provided by either NBC or CBC/Sportsnet. Only during the finals do they have a separate international feed with actual different pbp team (I think Chris Cuthbert has done those often). Now there isn't a problem with long OT games because rights are held by pay tv networks like Viasat but for example in the 90's when they were held by MTV3 over here in Finland, game 4 of the 1996 finals was pre-empted by the morning tv show. They cut occasionally to the broadcast and showed Krupp's goal after it was scored (not live though). Kummola also said that quarter- or semifinal games at the Worlds can't have long OTs because in some European countries there could be tv scheduling conflicts, similar to the one in Finland. Plus there's of course the fact that semifinals are held in the same arena.

Reactions: VictorLustig

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Shootouts are always bad.

With tournaments and icetimes, they're a necessary evil, but for the final game, there's nothing preventing continuous OT.

In the Olympics it's a must as it's played on the last day and otherwise you'll miss the closing cermony.

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
I love shootouts. It's not a skill competition a-la relay, or small nets. Shootout is an essential part of hockey - it exists in the game and it requires skill from the shooter and from the goalie so it's not a lottery. You know who scored yesterday - skilled players who are good at shootouts.

There is nothing enjoyable in triple OTs where everybody's exhausted and their main focus is not to make a mistake. It's a slog that is impossible to watch

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Shootouts are always bad.

With tournaments and icetimes, they're a necessary evil, but for the final game, there's nothing preventing continuous OT.

The correct answer. It doesn't produce "fake gold" as there must be a winner but it's a terrible way to end any game.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Boring, boring too boring to be true ... and a lucky way to an easy win for Sweden (as always) who seems to be born with both a silver spoon and Lady Luck in their mouth.

If I were a Swede I'd buy me a Lotto every week ... and probably win!

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Boring, boring too boring to be true ... and a lucky way to an easy win for Sweden (as always) who seems to be born with both a silver spoon and Lady Luck in their mouth.

If I were a Swede I'd buy me a Lotto every week ... and probably win!

leave this forum you clown

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
At least the goalie in hockey has a chance. In soccer/football, when they go to PKs to settle things, it really is a competition to see who messes up first, as conversion rates are well above 70%. Its not ideal, but it could very much be worse. I rather prefer playing until the golden goal.

Reactions: Faterson

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
At least the goalie in hockey has a chance. In soccer/football, when they go to PKs to settle things, it really is a competition to see who messes up first, as conversion rates are well above 70%. Its not ideal, but it could very much be worse. I rather prefer playing until the golden goal.
Yeah, it's the worst in soccer by far. I still get flashbacks to the end of the 06 World Cup and cringe.

In hockey it's definitely not good either but at least its more than a guessing game like it is in soccer.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Shootout in the final game of the season makes mockery of the game of hockey. They should play on until a legitimate Golden Goal is scored. If not in all play-off games, definitely in the Gold Medal game.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Shootout in the final game of the season makes mockery of the game of hockey. They should play on until a legitimate Golden Goal is scored. If not in all play-off games, definitely in the Gold Medal game.

I've already explained it earlier why it's going to stay there in all IIHF competitions.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
A shootout is a lot more skill than one team winning or losing on random mistakes.
Mistakes are a part of the game, making less of them or the one that does or doesnt kill you is what sports and hockey is all about,what determines in a game of actual HOCKEY who really wins and loses............................and thats how games should be decided.

Shootouts aren't.................it's a lazy gimmick and is not PLAYING THE GAME OF HOCKEY.

Huge difference, which anyone should be easily able to see.

In championship games, for the integrity of the sport, the sooner they are gone the better, they are silly.

This is 2 years in a row now a team has won a so called world championship not playing hockey but winning a f***ing shootout, it's got to stop, now.

play the game of hockey to determine the winner,there shouldn't even be any argument about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad