shootout in finals?

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
The shoot out exists in international hockey playoffs.
If you don't like it, don't watch.

Meanwhile in the real world, companies frequently change rules or policies when their customer base complains loudly about them. That seems better than just bending over and taking it, which seems to be your preferred approach to things you don't like.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I've already explained it earlier why it's going to stay there in all IIHF competitions.

It's not an explanation, just a stupid excuse not to do the right thing for the good of the game. Either the interests of the game are the priority, or the interests of silly TV broadcasters. If IIHF executives are more interested in benefiting TV broadcasters than the game of hockey, they should resign from their jobs. The Stanley Cup play-offs have no set time-frame, nor does the Wimbledon tennis tournament and lots of other prestigious sporting events. They are still shown on TV, and profitably so. High time for IIHF to follow suit, instead of giving us these parodies of gold medal games.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Meanwhile in the real world, companies frequently change rules or policies when their customer base complains loudly about them. That seems better than just bending over and taking it, which seems to be your preferred approach to things you don't like.
Are you complaining to them or in here?
Is there enough people complaining?

Another way to get companies to change their policy is to not patronize them. When sales/viewership/whatever goes down, they try to find out why and adjust accordingly.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
A shootout is a lot more skill than one team winning or losing on random mistakes.

I would argue that is the point of a team sport. You are only as good as your weakest link and usually the team that makes the least amount of mistakes wins. This is what helps makes it interesting as it's not just who has the best player/most skilled player which is the criticism of sports like basketball.

This doesn't mean those teams that win it in a shootout aren't deserving of their gold medals, they are just following the rules put in front of them. It's just as a viewer we all want to see these tournaments end the right way. Even if it's just for the medal games, continuous OT would just make the ends of these games more special.

I've already explained it earlier why it's going to stay there in all IIHF competitions.

Ah, I should have known. It's always about money.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's not an explanation, just a stupid excuse not to do the right thing for the good of the game. Either the interests of the game are the priority, or the interests of silly TV broadcasters. If IIHF executives are more interested in benefiting TV broadcasters than the game of hockey, they should resign from their jobs. The Stanley Cup play-offs have no set time-frame, nor does the Wimbledon tennis tournament and lots of other prestigious sporting events. They are still shown on TV, and profitably so. High time for IIHF to follow suit, instead of giving us these parodies of gold medal games.

In the real world, most hockey fans don't actually care how their country wins a tournament, shootout or regulation time. And tv broadcasters opinion matters because they bring in the money. Hell, the quarter- and semifinal times are decided by which countries are through and which time is more suitable for the broadcasters.

I also explained earlier why the Stanley Cup doesn't have a timeframe. It's primary target isn't global audience but North America. You'd also be surprised that most international sports events actually do have satellite time frame. Back in the 80's, I remember some Wimbledon games ending on Finnish tv because the national broadcasting company's satellite time was ending (different system back then). Kummola also said during that intermission segment that that is how all major international sporting events operate when it comes to broadcasting via satellite, either the organizing governing body or broadcasters buy the satellite capacity . It's not free to broadcast major sporting events via satellite.

Satellite's Play in Global Sporting Events - From our Archive - Via Satellite -

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
This is what helps makes it interesting as it's not just who has the best player/most skilled player which is the criticism of sports like basketball.
I'm sorry, but aren't teams deliberately paying and playing the best players the most. So one could argue that it's the teams with the best skilled players and goalie who usually do well. Shootouts like breakaways are part of the game. Maybe teams in the NHL should start using their top five shooters instead of throwing the dice and say "you go". I'd argue that getting more equal high scoring chances are more fair for each team.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Shootouts in hockey are unappealing to the huge majority of hockey fans.

International hockey has some out and out dumb rules and is another reason I have no interest in NHL players participating in the Olympics.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Shootouts in hockey are unappealing to the huge majority of hockey fans.

International hockey has some out and out dumb rules and is another reason I have no interest in NHL players participating in the Olympics.

Source? HFBoards doesn't count because internet.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Source? HFBoards doesn't count because internet.

It is a generally accepted fact. What does HFBoards have to do with it? HFBoards is not exactly a microcosm of the the games fans, heck the huge majority of posters have never skated let alone played the game.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Another problem with continuous OT is that the broadcasters lose money from the skipped commercial breaks.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Iam against shootout all togheter, but at least it makes more sense to have it in playoff games than in th group stage or regular season, those games do not have to have a winner, so you can accept a draw there. But playoff games have to have a winner, so if you shall have shootout anytime it should be in playoff games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad