Around the league part 2

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
First remember listening to him call Leafs games on HNIC in the early 80's when I was a little dude. In his prime, he was stellar.

RIP, Bob.

Jeebus, the broadcast team for this series is brutal. The play by play voice was almost in shock when LA scored a couple of those goals last night, no enthusiasm. When the Oilers scored, he blew his load.
it's not just the kings vs oilers games. things are more and more biased. The flames radio play by play is almost impossible to listen to. Leave the officiating to the refs and shut up, unless it is something obvious.

Last night I was completely ok with sportsnet talking about LA getting away with too many men on the ice, because they did. However Lizotte's penalty was equally BS. Again it's Leon Dillhole that gets the call. Only one brief replay on it and it look like leon initiated the contact not Lizotte. Guessing they did not show more because they did not want to show something against Edmonton. Not sure why they feel the need to pander like that, Oiler and hockey fans are tuning in regardless. There is not other options.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
I listened to Nick and Jim on the radio and and had the video feed from TNT. The radio was ahead by 45 seconds, so I knew of every goal before seeing it. Wish there was a way to sync it up. That said, I'd rather watch this way than listen to the TNT/ESPN crew.

Reactions: Faterson

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
438808424_980668116758659_9048033465288501883_n.jpg

confused-jackie-chan.gif

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I listened to Nick and Jim on the radio and and had the video feed from TNT. The radio was ahead by 45 seconds, so I knew of every goal before seeing it. Wish there was a way to sync it up. That said, I'd rather watch this way than listen to the TNT/ESPN crew.
crazy that you see that as a better option. That is not a comment on you but on the quality of the play by play

Reactions: shuchukfan

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005

It is a shame and the ESPN PbP crew is pretty awful, but I have to say, the TNT panel and Bis in particular are kind of funny. I had a little laugh when Bis was 'breaking down' Doughty's breakaway goal.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
as an aside re: broadcasting looks like faust is probably taking over for edwards in boston next season
oh man thats gonna be tough. From a very excitable play by play guy to quite honestly the most boring personality in hockey.

thought he was going back to San Jose.

as much as i did not like him in LA, i for some reason think he can get Ottawa into the playoffs. Which is what their current goal is IMO.
that'd make sense. But at least he's going to one shitty organization marred by mediocrity. He'd fit right in.

Reactions: Faterson

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

At least hockey is popular somewhere.

I forget the NBA even exists sometimes. Totally forgot the NBA playoffs were going on.

I stopped watching the NBA 6 or 7 years now and I don't miss one damn minute of it. Same crap officiating and flopping all over the place. Oh and everyone bricking threes from everywhere. Boring as hell. Even Charles Barkley thinks the NHL playoffs are better. Lol.

Sausages

Apr 28, 2017
Faust will be fine as long as he doesn’t have an entrenched doucheknuckle as his color guy. Always liked his call, just was always distracted by Fox’s bullshit.
If Artificial Intelligence spat out a sports commentator it would sound like Faust. All knowledge no emotion.

Nice guy, no offense to him but he really has to fake excitement.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
That says more about management failing to construct a winning roster, not a single franchise player who has stayed on the roster.

That's like saying the Kings haven't won a cup since Willie Mitchell left. Correlation =/= Causation
Well Willie Mitchell was awesome, so uh, yeah. How about we go with Colin Fraser instead?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
That says more about management failing to construct a winning roster, not a single franchise player who has stayed on the roster.

That's like saying the Kings haven't won a cup since Willie Mitchell left. Correlation =/= Causation
Of course. I have no issue with Kopitar the player, but there was no point in keeping him other than good feels. There has been an unwillingness or incompetence not allowing for the right thing to happen, pushing Kopitar down the liineup and allowing the next wave to take over, and yeah that's on management.

You should never have a 35+ "number 1 center". Even Steve Yzerman was 3rd line center on the wings toward the end of his career.

Reactions: tigermask48

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Well Willie Mitchell was awesome, so uh, yeah. How about we go with Colin Fraser instead?
That works, too.

Of course. I have no issue with Kopitar the player, but there was no point in keeping him other than good feels. There has been an unwillingness or incompetence not allowing for the right thing to happen, pushing Kopitar down the liineup and allowing the next wave to take over, and yeah that's on management.

You should never have a 35+ "number 1 center". Even Steve Yzerman was 3rd line center on the wings toward the end of his career.

If the issue is Kopitar being the No. 1 center, I agree. Kings should have done a better job drafting and developing talent to push him down the lineup and manage his minutes better.

That's still on the Kings for roster construction. Not because they kept Kopitar.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
That works, too.

If the issue is Kopitar being the No. 1 center, I agree. Kings should have done a better job drafting and developing talent to push him down the lineup and manage his minutes better.

That's still on the Kings for roster construction. Not because they kept Kopitar.
Yes, it absolutely is. Your obsession with Kopitar the player has never allowed you the perspective of disassociating the difference between wants and needs. You WANTED to watch Kopitar because your favorite player. The Kings NEEDED to rebuild. The reason Kopitar has always been the center of this discussion is that his contract came up at the exact time that the rebuild realization was becoming obvious. Had Doughty or Quick been first then it would have been them we discussed, and it's pretty obvious that you wouldn't have had the same issues with those players being dealt for the exact same reasons.

Keeping a player of Kopitar's caliber meant the Kings would be just good enough to be out of the top end of the draft but it would be impossible for them to contend again over the life of that extension given the circumstances at the time - and it played out EXACTLY as warned back in 2015 because it was the only way it could go. Mediocrity was always the best case scenario and all it did was waste a decade of our lives watching a team slowly and steadily dying on the vine instead of pruning it with the haul of assets they could have brought in. There was no risk, the immediate results would have been identical.

Reactions: chris kontos

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yes, it absolutely is. Your obsession with Kopitar the player has never allowed you the perspective of disassociating the difference between wants and needs. You WANTED to watch Kopitar because your favorite player. The Kings NEEDED to rebuild. The reason Kopitar has always been the center of this discussion is that his contract came up at the exact time that the rebuild realization was becoming obvious. Had Doughty or Quick been first then it would have been them we discussed, and it's pretty obvious that you wouldn't have had the same issues with those players being dealt for the exact same reasons.

Keeping a player of Kopitar's caliber meant the Kings would be just good enough to be out of the top end of the draft but it would be impossible for them to contend again over the life of that extension given the circumstances at the time - and it played out EXACTLY as warned back in 2015 because it was the only way it could go. Mediocrity was always the best case scenario and all it did was waste a decade of our lives watching a team slowly and steadily dying on the vine instead of pruning it with the haul of assets they could have brought in. There was no risk, the immediate results would have been identical.
You keep projecting your obsession of Kopitar onto me. He'd still be my favorite player even if he wasn't on the Kings. So, assuming my psychological makeup to back your own arguments is about as accurate as when you spent the last 13-15 years talking about how Kopitar is a soft Euro quitter, myth, and doesn't demand more of himself. And that he's not worth his contract.

Now, he's so good that it's impossible for a team to rebuild with him in the lineup? Even in a reduced role?

I've said it before, I admit my own bias. But you act like you're the pinnacle of objectivity and absolute truth. When called on it, you bristle. Which is why I'm just not responding to you anymore on the subject unless you directly respond to me.

If Kopitar was willing to go along with a rebuild, there's no reason to just rid the team of a franchise player who brings a stabilizing presence and can act as a buffer when a new No. 1 center who was drafted and developed was struggling. Same as Doughty, though I think Doughty in general hates rebuilds.

Getting a haul of prospects and picks won't do shit if the team can't adhere to a plan or keeps trying to redefine players in roles they aren't suited for, like making Byfield or Kaliyev checking forwards.

The same Byfield, by the way, who became an entirely different (and better) player when put on Kopitar's line.

But sure, keep saying Kopitar is what ruined the rebuild and organization. Not the organization tripling down on thinking it was a contender that needed JUST ONE MORE PIECE (Kovalchuk, Fiala, PLD, etc), starting a rebuild too late, and exiting it too early.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I stopped watching the NBA 6 or 7 years now and I don't miss one damn minute of it. Same crap officiating and flopping all over the place. Oh and everyone bricking threes from everywhere. Boring as hell. Even Charles Barkley thinks the NHL playoffs are better. Lol.

People say stuff like this all the time, but the NBA routinely trounces the NHL in ratings and revenue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad