shootout in finals?

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Bad way to end some really good hockey games, but I would take WHC gold which has been won in a shootout any day. So just enjoy.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Terrible and it seems that a lot of the International competitions have ended with one as of recent

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I thought I read last year that the IIHF was going to review having shootouts in gold medal games? I guess not.

Last year they played OT 5-on-5, this year 4-on-4. Actually this was the first time as 20-minute 4-on-4 OT was scoreless on men's level including juniors. Women have had it twice.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Never been a fan of it, just let it be continuous OT, that's how you find the true winner..the team that can go the distance and pull out the win. Makes it more epic, more valuable. Shootouts to me make it seem like the refs are just like "alright enough of this game, lets do a shootout so we can all go home now."

Winning back to back golds is impressive for Sweden no doubt, you mention it feeling like "fake gold" I can see what you mean, because they won back to back gold in 2 shootouts I think its not as impressive as Canada who won back to back in regulation time.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
With tournaments and icetimes, they're a necessary evil, but for the final game, there's nothing preventing continuous OT.

Most broadcasters wouldn't do that, it's not going to happen. Reducing the OT to 3 players each could be more realistic.

Reactions: mjlee

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Lol a bunch of whiners muhh shoot out is bad... not its not fake gold its still a very real gold medal you win or lose if you lose a shoot out game... and there is skills in shoot outs aswell. Its not that easy to score there.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Get rid of it in all forms of hockey.

It's produced some great moments but they would probably all be replaced with equally great OT winners.

You don't see the NBA have a three point contest to win games in OT.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
There are a ton of reasons why SO is absolutely necessary in these games. In short, fans love OT but broadcasting companies and arena organizers don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjlee

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Get rid of it in all forms of hockey.

It's produced some great moments but they would probably all be replaced with equally great OT winners.

You don't see the NBA have a three point contest to win games in OT.

Hockey isnt Basket two very different sports.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Hockey is much more of a team sport and has a skill competition deciding tied games.

Embarrassing.

And your point is? You have Football with shootouts also a team sport and skill competition... but they are still very different sports. You have Bandy which is the closest you can come to hockey in terms of how the sport is played that also have shootouts.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
And your point is? You have Football with shootouts also a team sport and skill competition... but they are still very different sports. You have Bandy which is the closest you can come to hockey in terms of how the sport is played that also have shootouts.

As an American sports fan I am not very familiar with football or how the leagues operate.

I just think it goes against the spirit of the competition to have the outcome of a game fought by two teams decided on the shootout ability of one player.

Don't think it reflects who really was the better team and is just a gimmick to end the game quicker. Especially since 1 point in the NHL can be the difference between who makes the playoffs and who doesn't.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
As an American sports fan I am not very familiar with football or how the leagues operate.

I just think it goes against the spirit of the competition to have the outcome of a game fought by two teams decided on the shootout ability of one player.

Don't think it reflects who really was the better team and is just a gimmick to end the game quicker. Especially since 1 point in the NHL can be the difference between who makes the playoffs and who doesn't.

There is no shootouts in football on league level atleast not here... and in hockey there is no shootouts it is OT all the way.

Reactions: DrJustice

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
There is no shootouts in football on league level atleast not here... and in hockey there is no shootouts it is OT all the way.

Thanks for the insight, I'd prefer it that way in the NHL but I'll watch no matter what they do haha.

Think they should apply it to the international competitions as well but it is what it is.

Reactions: aphyro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad