Shohei Otani sweepstakes (NYY out, looks like West Coast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i bet it's the mariners. they've done this before with a japanese superstar and will probably know the best way to help him assimilate and have interpreters at the ready who are experienced in baseball.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
i bet it's the mariners. they've done this before with a japanese superstar and will probably know the best way to help him assimilate and have interpreters at the ready who are experienced in baseball.

Think it was Szymborski who tweeted about a week ago that the pitch by the Mariners would be "look at our rotation, you're our #1, #2 and #3 starter." :laugh:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Think it was Szymborski who tweeted about a week ago that the pitch by the Mariners would be "look at our rotation, you're our #1, #2 and #3 starter." :laugh:

I mean, we can basically just say to Ohtani he can play wherever he wants whenever he wants - there are spots open for it to work.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Houston is still an unknown. Would love it if they land him. Kaz Matsui, years ago and Aoki this past season was a tease for me. But if Houston got a potential Japanese star player, I would be thrilled.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

And even more amazing that Otani basically told the Yankees to f*** off, in the Japanese, super polite and professional kind of way (he reportedly told them he thought they presented really well but they had little to no chance from the start). Seems like it was the same thing he told Toronto, too big, too much media.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Cubs seem really out of place there, at least geographically.

Wonder what's keeping them in the mix.

I'd like to see him go to either Seattle or San Diego.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Come to papa Ohtani

PLEASE. We need this. I mean, the Padres need this too, but the M's have the talent to be in contention. Setting aside what he can do on the field, this is gonna give the city and the team a buzz that the last few years of mediocrity has sapped. Get Iwakuma back for the clubhouse. Add them both into the rotation with Felix and Paxton. See if we can wiggle into the postseason before Cruz and Cano start to seriously decline.

Cmon Jerry, while we're young!

Reactions: PG Canuck

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the padres deserve him after all the years and years of crappy baseball their fans have had to endure

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
I've got a hunch about the Padres. Beautiful city, and the baseball team has been garbage for awhile so they really don't get the press that the other cities do. Ohtani can therefore grow into the excessive press as the team gets better and in the immediate transition, he can live his life without being bothered too much. Also, because the team isn't contending, he has the time to try out as starter and right field and all that and see how he fits. He might not get that opportunity with another team. Second guess would be the mariners as they have the DH slot.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Ohtani's main interest appears to be living close to a large, non-Atlantic body of water, which is why Chicago is in the picture for Lake Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad