Shohei Otani sweepstakes (NYY out, looks like West Coast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I wonder if these are last ditch efforts by these teams or if they are pulling ahead of the others. What a strange thing this has been.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The Banuelos dude is a catcher who was a 5th round pick in 2017. So the Twins are doing well here too.

Seattle is now at 2.55 M

Angels have around 2.3 M.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Maybe the money factor has been underrated a bit. Everyone assumed it didn't matter because he's coming over now, but maybe it does matter a decent amount.
Could be, but then why would half of his initial list be teams that could only offer the 300K? Would be odd.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Sounds like he has a short list and those teams are very close in his mind. They are doing what they can to make their offers the best they can be. Teams are going to kick themselves if they lose out on Otani because of 1 million dollars. If all things are equal from a few teams non money related then he's probably going to go with the team that will give him the most cash.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Yeah not sure, maybe the 7 finalists were more about just the teams themselves and now he's narrowed it down even further. I think this is promising for the Angels, really tough to say.
Yeah, the fact that they were willing to give up one of their best prospects hopefully means they think they have a really good shot.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I fully expect Eppler to find more money before the decision is made. Dipoto wants to stick it to Arte and I don't blame him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad