Shohei Otani sweepstakes (NYY out, looks like West Coast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Not Babe Ruth

Potential to be a top-20 SP and an above-average corner OF. Far, far harder to do both in the American game than in Japan.

My opinion? He signs with the team that lets him try both and ends up being a pitcher/occasional pinch hitter by his second year in the league.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not Babe Ruth

Potential to be a top-20 SP and an above-average corner OF. Far, far harder to do both in the American game than in Japan.

My opinion? He signs with the team that lets him try both and ends up being a pitcher/occasional pinch hitter by his second year in the league.

Any chance he signs with a NL team that will bat him higher in the order every start, and then use him as a platoon/pinch hitter?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
At this point, I don't think he's accomplished enough of a hitter to say that. If he moved across right now I'd say maybe he hits 7th or 8th and then gets some pinch hitting AB's, but that's about it.

His OPS by year in Japan: .660, .842, .628, 1.004. Not to say that you shouldn't expect some early struggles from a teenager playing in a professional league, but its not like he's been a prodigious hitter during his career.

If he plays both ways, I only really see it as a DH (hasn't played OF in Japan in two years per BR), and even then that means he still has to hit considering the DH is the most premium offensive position. Definitely could be an asset as a pinch hitter in the NL though if the bat is legitimate.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
How good is he? Well, theaub is being really conservative. That's how good he is.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Team that signs him will put him on the mound. He'll ocassionally pinch hit ... think Madison Bumgarner.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
How much do you guys think the Japanese team will get by posting him? I read that since he isn't/won't be 25, he can't sign a major league contract (he'd have to sign a minor league deal).

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
No it wouldn't be.

Plus, I assume they'll go bonkers at July 4 and won't have space for him.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Would be for me :p:

Yeah I'm interested to see the whole strategy.

I mean, they could still get him, but I also assume that they a) don't want to go over the two year ban limit and b) would have already spent an ass ton of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad