Prospect Info: SHL champion Elias Pettersson | SHL scoring champion, playoff MVP, WC gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
A GM can be fired before the end of his contract. Gillis was fired 1 year after signing his extension.
They re-signed him 2 months ago dude. And given what he started with, and how he's restocked the cupboards, he deserved to be re-signed. He's done a fantastic job repositioning this team for the future.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
They re-signed him 2 months ago dude. And given what he started with, and how he's restocked the cupboards, he deserved to be re-signed. He's done a fantastic job repositioning this team for the future.

What are you misunderstanding here? Gillis was fired a year after his extension. Benning can be too. And he's barely restocked anything...every team that's been as bad as the Canucks have been will have better prospects, that's nothing special. Benning has been the worst GM in Canucks history, the worst GM in the NHL, and has really decimated this teams future with some of the awful moves he's made. But hey, I'm glad to see you're happy with him building the worst team in the NHL over the last 3 years despite the fact his intent was to make the playoffs each of those years...trading away picks and prospects to do so.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I expect he'll sign with the Canucks this offseason but don't see it being a negative (other than for 2018-19 ticket sales) if he chooses to wait another season. Waiting a year gets the Canucks an extra season of him on his entry level contract, which could be meaningful in 2021-22. If I understand correctly the Canucks have his rights for another three seasons so they could easily sign him next summer to a 3 year elc with no real risk of losing him even if they don't burn a year off his elc. Benning's way with top prospects playing outside the CHL system has been to burn a year, though.

If he plays most of next season in Sweden at center I'd be happy with that.

Quite a few have commented that he has nothing to prove in the SHL. Apart from showing that he can be productive as a center (his production dropped quite a bit when he played center this season, though reports I read suggested that was due to a weakness of scoring wingers and that his play at center was really good) that may be true but I would be asking instead if he can still develop as a player in Sweden and whether he would be likely to stagnate because of staying in Sweden another season. I think it unlikely that playing another season in Sweden would cause him to stagnate so would be fine with him in Sweden next season.

Otoh, my guess is that he'll be wearing a Canucks' jersey on a regular basis this coming October.

Reactions: lindgren

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
... Benning has been the worst GM in Canucks history, the worst GM in the NHL, and has really decimated this teams future with some of the awful moves he's made. ...

Maybe it's just me being unable to discard a decades-old opinion, but I've considered Jack Gordon the worst GM in Canucks' history ever since the day the Neely trade was announced. (Before then I already thought he was probably the worst in what was then the Canucks' relatively short history.) Without going move by move through their histories, and with it impossible to compare directly since Gordon was before the days of free agency, I'd slot Benning in at a close #2.

It's really impressive that one team can have had two such suitable candidates to claim that distinction, with a few others who might be in contention if they'd been GM for other franchises.

Otoh, going off-topic, imo there is no such race for worst ever Canucks' coach. Imo nobody has come remotely close to the legendary atrocious Canucks' coaching performance of Bill Laforge.

I remember wondering early in the 1984-85 preseason whether he'd last long enough to coach a regular season game, but it somehow took the GM 20 games into the regular season before pulling the plug. Those 20 games included a .250 points % and a 9 game losing streak which included scores of 13-2, 7-0 and 10-3. By the time he was fired I'd long since given up on the season and paid little attention the rest of the way.

Last edited:

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Maybe it's just me being unable to discard a decades-old opinion, but I've considered Jack Gordon the worst GM in Canucks' history ever since the day the Neely trade was announced. (Before then I already thought he was probably the worst in what was then the Canucks' relatively short history.) Without going move by move through their histories, and with it impossible to compare directly since Gordon was before the days of free agency, I'd slot Benning in at a close #2.

It's really impressive that one team can have had two such suitable candidates to claim that distinction, with a few others who might be in contention if they'd been GM for other franchises.

Otoh, going off-topic, imo there is no such race for worst ever Canucks' coach. Imo nobody has come remotely close to the legendary atrocious Canucks' coaching performance of Bill Laforge.

I remember wondering early in the 1984-85 preseason whether he'd last long enough to coach a regular season game, but it somehow took the GM 20 games into the regular season before pulling the plug. Those 20 games included a .250 points % and a 9 game losing streak which included scores of 13-2, 7-0 and 10-3. By the time he was fired I'd long since given up on the season and paid little attention the rest of the way.
Jeez, Jack Gordon ... thanks for that little trip down amnesia lane. Followed up by a Bill Laforge reference.

Truly a testament to "it could be worse".

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
What are you misunderstanding here? Gillis was fired a year after his extension. Benning can be too. And he's barely restocked anything...every team that's been as bad as the Canucks have been will have better prospects, that's nothing special. Benning has been the worst GM in Canucks history, the worst GM in the NHL, and has really decimated this teams future with some of the awful moves he's made. But hey, I'm glad to see you're happy with him building the worst team in the NHL over the last 3 years despite the fact his intent was to make the playoffs each of those years...trading away picks and prospects to do so.

Decimated the team's future with this? All JB draft picks and trades

Demko (Clearly potential to be a #1 NHL goalie)
Petterson (SEL MVP, Broke Forsberg and Nilson records, rated best prospect in the world)
Dhalen (MVP of his league - traded for an aging vet)
Juolevi (Showed great improvement vs men, developing as expected, will be a solid NHL'er hopefully top 2)
Virtanen (last 20 games showed he's turned the corner and why he was drafted #6)
Lind (steal in the second round but still TBD)
Gadjovich (same as above)
Dipietro (twice goalie of the year in the OHL asked to play at the worlds vs nhl'ers)
Tryamkin (Hopefully returns and has suggested he will)
Guadette (Hobey baker winner)
Granlund (for linden vey - nuff said)
Baerschi (for hunter shinkaruk - nuff said)
Goldobin (for an aging vet)
Stecher (free agent)
Gudbrason (24 yrs old)
Boeser (rookie of the year candidate, 26th pick and was on pace for 40 goals)
Jasek (6th rounder lit it up in the AHL in a brief stint)
Brisbois (looks to be an NHLer)
Sautner (looked fine in his short stint with the Canucks)
Chatfield (looks to be an NHLer)

really? ok

I've been a fan since 1978 - This team has the best prospect pool i've seen in its history - i think most poeple would agree but keep your JB hate on! lol

Last edited:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Decimated the team's future with this? All JB draft picks and trades

Demko
Petterson
Dhalen
Juolevi
Virtanen
Lind
Gadjovich
Dipietro
Tryamkin (Hopefully returns and has suggested he will)
Guadette
Granlund
Baerschi
Goldobin
Stecher
Gudbrason (24 yrs old)
Boeser

really? ok

I've been a fan since 1978 - This team has the best prospect pool i've seen in its history - i think most poeple would agree but keep your JB hate on! lol

I think what Y2k is trying to say is that any team can say they have a deep prospect pool if they are bottom of the league for 4 years straight.

Although I am on the fence on Benning, I still believe that he could have gotten more pick these past 4 years if this was trully a rebuild.

Lets be honest, this is the worst the Canucks have been in decades. It's not really surprising that we have top prospects.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
I think what Y2k is trying to say is that any team can say they have a deep prospect pool if they are bottom of the league for 4 years straight.

Although I am on the fence on Benning, I still believe that he could have gotten more pick these past 4 years if this was trully a rebuild.

Lets be honest, this is the worst the Canucks have been in decades. It's not really surprising that we have top prospects.

Can't argue he 'could have' sped up the rebuild by making trades sooner and getting more value - but

1. WHo's to say he had trading partners? Or that offered good value? We sucked because we got old without young depth to fill the holes. Not a big market for aging players on the downswing. What he's accomplished is nothing short of amazing given what he had to dig out of.

2. We can't trade everyone, you need vets around to ensure young guys learn slowly and how to be pros - look at dedmonton what losing (and not being competitive and being the ones to answer to it) does to a team's psyche and young players - its busts them.

3. His top prospects are not from the first round only - he has found players throughout the draft. A team is lucky if they get one NHL'er per draft based on stats friend. Go look at what benning has done in the last three. Finding Boeser at 26, Gaudette in the 5th, and Tryamkin in the third alone should have people at least respecting him. That ignores taking the best player not in the NHL at #5 last year, stealing Dhalen for Burrows and getting Goldy for Hansen, getting Baer for Shink and Granlund for Vey....jesus man.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Can't argue he 'could have' sped up the rebuild by making trades sooner and getting more value - but

1. WHo's to say he had trading partners?

2. We can't trade everyone, you need vets around to ensure young guys learn slowly and how to be pros - look at dedmonton what losing (and not being competitive and being the ones to answer to it) does to a team's psyche and young players - its busts them.

3. His top prospects are not from the first round only - he has found players throughout the draft. A team is lucky if they get one NHL'er per draft based on stats friend. Go look at what benning has done in the last three

He let guys like Dan Hamhuis walk away for nothing, and traded a king's random for guys like Gudbradsson. On top of that he decided to sign ineffective vets that have been total duds for this franchise (See Gagner, Sutter, Eriksson, etc.).

I will stop here since this has been rehashed many times and I will get assassinated by a mod considering this is a Petterson thread.

On the Petterson end, wish him a speedy recovery on his thumb and I'm very excited to see him this training camp. For some reason I feel that Petterson and Dahlen will make the Canucks come the regular season.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
giphy.gif

Six more months. Six. More. Months.

Seriously. What the hell, man.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

1. WHo's to say he had trading partners? Or that offered good value? We sucked because we got old without young depth to fill the holes. Not a big market for aging players on the downswing. What he's accomplished is nothing short of amazing given what he had to dig out of.

3. His top prospects are not from the first round only - he has found players throughout the draft. A team is lucky if they get one NHL'er per draft based on stats friend. Go look at what benning has done in the last three. Finding Boeser at 26, Gaudette in the 5th, and Tryamkin in the third alone should have people at least respecting him. That ignores taking the best player not in the NHL at #5 last year, stealing Dhalen for Burrows and getting Goldy for Hansen, getting Baer for Shink and Granlund for Vey....jesus man.

Boeser went 23rd, not 26th.

We got Baertschi for a 2nd, not Shinkaruk.

We got Granlund for Shinkaruk, not Vey.

Won’t even touch the rest of that post as it contains the same tired arguments that’ve been debated a hundred times here already.

Just try to get the basic facts correct at least.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Don't get me wrong here... I really like what they did with the 2017 NHL Draft. Good value around the board.
Pettersson, Gadjovich, Lind and Palmu were great picks especially considering where they got them.

BUT...
If you ignore the 2017 draft the prospect pool is barren. (Lets put Boeser back in there, its still barren)
And the 2017 draft is too recent to be evaluated properly. You need to give the players time to make it or become busts.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Nobody who has actually watched hockey since 1978 can seriously look at our prospect pool - including Brisebois and Chatfield - and see nothing but 100% future NHLers. Experience would have tempered your sky high expectations for every single player. Maybe you meant to say your parents were born in 1978?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Egod. He's somewhere between a bad very bad GM, and a slightly better than average scout. And my family has been season ticket holders since 1970. I live and die Canucks. You must be on the payroll to have these opinions ... this team is not well run right now.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Jeez, Jack Gordon ... thanks for that little trip down amnesia lane. Followed up by a Bill Laforge reference.

Truly a testament to "it could be worse".

Anyone such as myself who's been following the Canucks for a long time knows how bad things used to be. I would say management was uniformly awful until Pat Quinn. Then we had a run of competent but imperfect GMs (Quinn, Burke, Nonis, Gillis). Now we have Lindenning.

As for Petterson, I agree with the opinion that spending another year in the SHL would not be the end of the world for his personal development and it could be a good thing for the Canucks long term. It would however be terrible for the short term thinking that current management seems to embrace.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
lol, i listened to this "pettersson not coming" rumou being hyped on the radio yesterday afternoon leaving town . basically two guys in sweden said he might stay, without in any way claiming any knowledge of pettersson's intentions, and that was leveraged into a lead story.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
lol, i listened to this "pettersson not coming" rumou being hyped on the radio yesterday afternoon leaving town . basically two guys in sweden said he might stay, without in any way claiming any knowledge of pettersson's intentions, and that was leveraged into a lead story.
I'm actually ambivalent about whether Pettersson comes over next year....in those end-of season photos he looks almost waif-like in terms of his body mass....there's not much doubt that like a lot of Swedish hockey players who come to the NHL, the first couple of years will be a struggle. It seems to take at least a couple of seasons to adjust to the pace and physicality.

And it's not like the Canucks aren't going to suck again next season anyway. On the one hand it would be great for the long-suffering Canuck faithful to actually see one of their best prospects in a Vancouver uni.....but not going to break the bank either way.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It was hilarious..they interviewed some reporter from Sweden who had never even met Pettersson,and Sekeres was trying to make chicken salad out of a completely chickenshit story.

Sekeres is a pompous,arrogant sports host,who literally believes that everything that comes out of his mouth is gospel...

Reactions: nucks88 and CanaFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad