Prospect Info: SHL champion Elias Pettersson | SHL scoring champion, playoff MVP, WC gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Really hope this doesnt block his ability to be ready for next year. But if it does then i guess is not the end of the world, and we will probably not be competing for a playoffs spot anyways so another tank year could work out i guess, and then him come over with Jack Hughes Dahlen LBL and whoever we draft this year.

Not completely panicy disaster, could work out long run hopefully assuming hopefully Horvat doesnt develop a loser mentality like the Oilers top guys did after a decade of disaster tanking

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Really hope this doesnt block his ability to be ready for next year. But if it does then i guess is not the end of the world, and we will probably not be competing for a playoffs spot anyways so another tank year could work out i guess, and then him come over with Jack Hughes Dahlen LBL and whoever we draft this year.

Not completely panicy disaster, could work out long run hopefully assuming hopefully Horvat doesnt develop a loser mentality like the Oilers top guys did after a decade of disaster tanking

Didn’t seem to hurt Taylor Hall any, once he got onto a properly structured team.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This isnt a big deal as most people make it be.

I remember people freaking out when Boeser went back for his 2nd year in the NCAA, and surprise surprise he just turned out to be the best developed prospect this organization has had in years.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

I remember people freaking out when Boeser went back for his 2nd year in the NCAA, and surprise surprise he just turned out to be the best developed prospect this organization has had in years.
Agreed Breaky boy Breakserson

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Ya, I don’t see it as a particularly negative thing, it’s just (potentially) the reality of the situation. They drafted Pettersson knowing his physical development was behind other players even as his puck skills and IQ were potentially well ahead.

If it’s what he needs, then it’s what he needs. I’d rather be patient and see him take the Mark Scheifele route than rush him and sidetrack his development aka the Nugent-Hopkins path.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If it does turn out to be the case, Pettersson was a big part of what people were looking forward to next season, and this would be a big let down. Looks like it's a "slim" chance though.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Pettersson needs to start playing in North America soon, better for him to start getting used to the smaller ice surface and more physical play. He annihilated the SHL as a 19 year old, he has nothing left to prove there.

The report just indicated that Vaxjo will try to convince him to stay for another year which is an obvious statement, no confirmation on Pettersson's thoughts on the matter so there isn't a ton to really digest here.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
If it does turn out to be the case, Pettersson was a big part of what people were looking forward to next season, and this would be a big let down. Looks like it's a "slim" chance though.

True but there's lots to watch and cheer for next year, and its probably better for him and his development, he needs time to fill out.

What I loved about his interview is how competitive he is, what the coaches say about his commitment to being a 200ft players and doing the hard, little things to win, he's not a one dimensional player, he's Bo with less size but the skills of a Backstrom, this kid has superstar written all over him. I also loved that he said, he was glad he played against NHL'ers and knows what he has to work on, he realizes he 'hasn't made it' and he needs to improve (great attitude, and all the best players have this), and also said he wants to be an 'impact player'. Love it!

But as for next year, we still have the opportunity to watch the kids take the next step

Will Bo be made C? Always will be great to watch him take the next step
Gaudette - will be fun to watch him develop now that he's had a taste and will have had an offseason to prepare
Boeser- can he push 40+ next year with Primo ice, and more responsibility, or will he have to find another way given teams know now....Will he have taken Bo's skating lessons and come back faster?
Jake - If he takes that next step, the one he showed over the last 20 games, oh boy it will be fun to watch!
Leipsic - will he show us he's for real? Is he our Brayden Point?
Juolevi- is he ready?
Demko -will he get his shot?
Baer - will he solidify his role as a top 6 player
And who will surprise at camp, there's always someone, who's going to push a vet out, who's going to force mgmt to make that hard decision

Lots to get excited about next year, and hey, if we are in the lotto again, that kid ranked #1 would look great in Vancouver, especially with us hosting the draft!

Reactions: Literally

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Pettersson needs to start playing in North America soon, better for him to start getting used to the smaller ice surface and more physical play. He annihilated the SHL as a 19 year old, he has nothing left to prove there.

The report just indicated that Vaxjo will try to convince him to stay for another year which is an obvious statement, no confirmation on Pettersson's thoughts on the matter so there isn't a ton to really digest here.

He can play in the AHL - my guess, if he's not ready for the big team, he still signs with the Nucks and he goes to Utica as I think your analysis is spot on (unless he's just waaay too light), and they would prefer to be able to control his development now. He's ready for at least the next 'baby step' at worst as long as he can handle it physically

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah,for sure...It's probably going to be a tough year anyways,but he would definitely make it a lot more enjoyable..Until we get an official statement though,theres no point in stressing about it.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
He literally had a record breaking season, there is nothing left for him in the SHL he's shown he's outgrown the league...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

There's no risk of the Canucks losing him, but what I like is that he may not be here to save Benning's ass next season.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I have no problem if he stays in Sweden another year. Ideally, he plays in Utica if he's not ready for the NHL, but if he's more comfortable with Sweden, that's fine with me. The SHL is a really good mens league, people seem to forget that. Would love to see him next season so there's a reason, outside of Boeser and Horvat, to actually watch, but I'm not really fussed.

Reactions: NucksRock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad