Shipachyov leaves Vegas for KHL, warns other Russians about going abroad

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Ship has a portion of the blame, but the majority of this shitfest lies on McPhee's shoulders. He signed Ship with the intention of him being the #1C, you'd have to be ignorant to believe that McPhee signed Ship to that contract just to potentially be a NHL player. Ship plays in the pre-season, and then when the start of the season rolls around he's not on the team. When injuries finally hit, he gets 3 games and then gets demoted. McPhee wanted Ship to come out and be a superstar #1C, and when that didn't happen he didn't give him any other NHL opportunity (transition to wing, #2/3C, etc.)

Sure, that's fine if Gallant didn't think he deserved to be the #1C. But the icing on the cake was that Vegas was more concerned over the $2 million signing bonus and looked at Ship's not reporting to the AHL as a get out of jail free card. If they told him Anaheim was interested in him but he needed to play a few games in the AHL, I believe he would've gone. But when you move halfway around the world after being promised one thing, only to find out it's not remotely close to what was promised I don't blame Ship for being resentful.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Why does that need to be taken into account ? Do you not realize how many players in this league have families ? There isn't a single NHL GM saying "Nah we can't waive this guy. He has kids." It sucks for Shipachyov but he isn't special. Countless other players have been separated from their wives and kids because of trades or waivers or call-ups and they didn't refuse to report because of it. Any GM making roster decisions based on player happiness is a ****ty GM. And if 2 weeks away from his family in the AHL was unacceptable then he wasn't built for the NHL, where he'd play 41 games a year away from home.

We are not talking about someone from north America. We are talking about a family just learning English getting dropped into Vegas of all places only to have a key member sent nearly 2000 miles away

Reactions: stlwahoo

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Every single waiver exempt player on the Golden Knights was a result of a deal made outside of the expansion draft. They were looking for waiver exempt players to maximize the assets from the expansion draft. Fast forward a few months and lo and behold every single waiver exempt player on the Vegas Golden Knights was sent to the Chicago Wolves. Almost like it was planned.

If Shipachyov didn't know this was part of the plan, that's on him and his agent.

To this day, the only asset the Golden Knights have lost without any return is Vadim Shipachyov, and that's only because he refused to report. This was the plan, and the plan was followed so closely in every move that's been made so far that it seems very unlikely that sending all of the waiver exempt players to Chicago was a surprise to anyone except maybe Vadim. He was surprised, he decided not to fulfill his contract, everyone's moved on.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
Sound to me like his agent did not bother telling the guy to "Shut up, ride the AHL bus, and cash the big fat cheques." Seriously the contract was guarantee, don't give the guys who decided they don't want your contract practically the minute after signing it a excuse to not pay your butt.

Are you suggesting he wasn't aware that he could play in the AHL and collect his NHL salary, or that his agent failed to make that fact clear to him? Because that's almost certainly not true.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
At the end of the day Vegas would have lost out on trying to reclaim Ship's signing bonus if he was traded. There's no precedent for doing so, and the PA was right to oppose that happening.

Where Shipachyov hurt his options is by not reporting to the AHL. Once he did that then he handed Vegas all sorts of leverage they wouldn't have had if he reported.

A) Ship goes to AHL. Vegas is on the hook for Ship's signing bonus plus full $3m salary, and are now in a situation where they're motivated to trade him or get him onto the NHL squad. Make the best of the situation and move on.

B) Ship refuses to report to AHL. Now Vegas can suspend him without pay, and eventually demand the signing bonus back if the refusal to fulfill the contract continues. Vegas' urgency to trade or play Ship has now been dramatically reduced. Vegas can now compare trade offers vs. the value of recouping most of the $2m signing bonus while still ridding themselves of the contract.
Ship comes off as very naïve. VGK as very predatory and dishonest.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Every single waiver exempt player on the Golden Knights was a result of a deal made outside of the expansion draft. They were looking for waiver exempt players to maximize the assets from the expansion draft. Fast forward a few months and lo and behold every single waiver exempt player on the Vegas Golden Knights was sent to the Chicago Wolves. Almost like it was planned.

If Shipachyov didn't know this was part of the plan, that's on him and his agent.

To this day, the only asset the Golden Knights have lost without any return is Vadim Shipachyov, and that's only because he refused to report. This was the plan, and the plan was followed so closely in every move that's been made so far that it seems very unlikely that sending all of the waiver exempt players to Chicago was a surprise to anyone except maybe Vadim. He was surprised, he decided not to fulfill his contract, everyone's moved on.
Maybe tell that to his face then. More over, lying about somethimg that is so obvious to everyone but Ship sound pretty arrogant and stupid.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
To quote:

"Vegas said Thursday that Shipachyov's contract was ended after he refused to play for its AHL affiliate. He is officially considered "voluntarily retired" from the NHL.

Shipachyov appeared unhappy with his former team in a statement issued by SKA on Saturday.

"They say one thing to your face and when it comes to hockey, something else," he said, adding that his NHL experience had been "two months of misunderstandings, smiles and conversations which had nothing to do with reality.

"Russian players should think ten times before leaving for abroad, it's different from what the clubs and agents tell you.""

Source: www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/shipachyov-leaves-vegas-khl-warns-russians-1.4399099

Shipachyov cries in public, but its so pathetic, how the heck can sign for someone like McPhee? The player must do his due diligence here.

There are a few organizations out there that won't threat their player like crap, like Chicago, NYR and a few others. If you are a UFA -- why don't just sign for them? I think this is solely on Shipachov.

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
I agree Shipachyov was a fool to sign in Vegas but the sales pitch sounded good.

With his pedigree, his contract, the hype the organization gave him all offseason, theres no reason he shouldn't have been given half a season to prove himself.

What seems to have then happened is in the expansion draft they got enough players to feel comfortable with then figured well this guy is making big money, 30 years old, not dominating, so lets force him out.

Shipachyov could have played their game and eventually would have won out over them but is an honorable guy and didn't want to play these mind games.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Ship has a portion of the blame, but the majority of this ****fest lies on McPhee's shoulders. He signed Ship with the intention of him being the #1C, you'd have to be ignorant to believe that McPhee signed Ship to that contract just to potentially be a NHL player. Ship plays in the pre-season, and then when the start of the season rolls around he's not on the team. When injuries finally hit, he gets 3 games and then gets demoted. McPhee wanted Ship to come out and be a superstar #1C, and when that didn't happen he didn't give him any other NHL opportunity (transition to wing, #2/3C, etc.)

Sure, that's fine if Gallant didn't think he deserved to be the #1C. But the icing on the cake was that Vegas was more concerned over the $2 million signing bonus and looked at Ship's not reporting to the AHL as a get out of jail free card. If they told him Anaheim was interested in him but he needed to play a few games in the AHL, I believe he would've gone. But when you move halfway around the world after being promised one thing, only to find out it's not remotely close to what was promised I don't blame Ship for being resentful.

I look at it this way as well. If it was a North American kid I may feel different but as an expat, I can't believe this guy could turn his life upside down to play for that organization and get monkeye'd around. I would better understand it if the guy got a real shot to play, but he never did. I don't think McPhee would have pulled any of this nonsense if the guy was from any place else but Russia. He's able to hide behind the "Russian problem players" motif, and avoid getting persecuted for what he really did.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I look at it this way as well. If it was a North American kid I may feel different but as an expat, I can't believe this guy could turn his life upside down to play for that organization and get monkeye'd around. I would better understand it if the guy got a real shot to play, but he never did. I don't think McPhee would have pulled any of this nonsense if the guy was from any place else but Russia. He's able to hide behind the "Russian problem players" motif, and avoid getting persecuted for what he really did.
He made side deals for waiver exempt Alex Tuch and Shea Theodore and did the same thing to them.

The only issue here that I can see is that everyone (myself and almost every media person included) ignored the fact that McPhee was going to try to get a return for every asset he was given in the expansion draft and that he valued waiver exempt status more than anyone expected. The Knights might seem crappy for sending him down, but I don't think it's any more crappy than sending Tuch or Theodore down. Perhaps even less so since Ship was still getting paid full NHL salary to go take the bullet for a few weeks versus the other two getting AHL pay.

I hate saying it, but it is what it is and when it really comes down to it, only one party in the whole Shipachyov/VGK fiasco violated the contract in place, and that's Mr. Shipachyov.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
this is why you come over when you're 22 years old and not 30 years old. What was he thinking? Could have made similar or more in NHL and live unbelievable life. But wants to stay home and do 10 hour plane rides. Good for him.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
this is why you come over when you're 22 years old and not 30 years old. What was he thinking? Could have made similar or more in NHL and live unbelievable life. But wants to stay home and do 10 hour plane rides. Good for him.

Don't know how much interest teams had at that age but we know he was never drafted here.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Living as a millionaire in St. Petersburg is about as good a life as anyone can have.

Either way, blame should be put on Shipachyov for being ridiculously naive, his agent for being beyond unknowable, and the Vegas GM for his predatory and dishonest practices.

Reactions: Pixie and stlwahoo

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Advice for all future Russian players to sign in with NHL. Unlike in Russia there are no gentlemen agreements or pledges in North America. Disregard all promises and assurances made by GM's to get you to sign. Ultimately what matters is what is written into the contract.

Reactions: Fantomas

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Advice for all future Russian players to sign in with NHL......

Disregard all promises and assurances made by GM's to get you to sign. Ultimately what matters is what is written into the contract.
Probably good advice for anyone doing business with anyone else in any field.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
You don't see this happen often to players from Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc...

I think it's a problem with Russian players and their expectations more than anything else. Do they expect to be treated like hometown KHL superstars in North America when they haven't done anything in the NHL yet? Seems that way for many of the problematic players. Many players of all types of nationalities and backgrounds are jerked around worse by GMs day after day, only they don't have the option to take their puck and stick home to make a similar living there.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. Nor do I feel sorry for the 100s of AHL/ECHL players who make Mike Sillinger's journeyman NHL career look like a brisk walk in the park.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He was chasing the big bucks and it didn't work out. Big deal.

VGK didn't sign him to that contract to play in the AHL. As it turns out, they would have lost another player if they had not sent him down.

If VGK valued the player holding its last roster spot more than Ship, that's just plain old too bad. That's why he had a one-way contract. My heart bleeds for him.

If he were such an honourable guy, he would have lived up to his deal.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
The fact is he had to pay money to leave Vegas. And as a bonus remove himself from ever signing with any of the other 30 NHL teams. They basically held him hostage for a cheque.

Why didn't the team trade him? Why didn't the team suspend him for falling to show in the AHL or try terminating the contract for whatever grievous thing he did? Petty BS over a signing bonus that didn't workout in the team's favour. It happens, suck it up instead of screwing a person over. Or screw the person over as an example of how your business is run AKA newspaper articles and reputation with players/agents. Bla bla bla he didn't play well enough or didn't ???... inconsequential when there are rules in place to deal with those things.

Zusammenhalt

Dump & chase-not a fan of
Jan 18, 2007
Depot Division
It's too bad he couldn't give it a bit longer try. He may live to regret that.
Yes going to the AHL is not 1st choice however not all NHL players are "Silver spoons". Those who go directly to the NHL and not spending any time in the AHL first.

It reminds me of myself. Years ago I went to a recruitment session for working in the film industry. We were told that everyone wants to work in film and if we wanted it bad enough we would be prepared to crawl over broken glass.
I wasn't prepared to do that at the time. Others were. I sometimes wonder what other doors would have opened had I made that commitment.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The fact is he had to pay money to leave Vegas. And as a bonus remove himself from ever signing with any of the other 30 NHL teams. They basically held him hostage for a cheque.

Why didn't the team trade him? Why didn't the team suspend him for falling to show in the AHL or try terminating the contract for whatever grievous thing he did? Petty BS over a signing bonus that didn't workout in the team's favour. It happens, suck it up instead of screwing a person over. Or screw the person over as an example of how your business is run AKA newspaper articles and reputation with players/agents. Bla bla bla he didn't play well enough or didn't ???... inconsequential when there are rules in place to deal with those things.
They tried to trade him, he refused the trade.
They didn't suspend him the first time he didn't want to play in the AHL, they suspended him the second time.

The grievous thing he did was refuse to honor the contract. I don't let someone keep my two million after screwing me over, dragging my team through the mud, and poisoning the well for a few years. It cost him money to leave? Good. He violated the contract and created a PR nightmare because he thought he was too good to do what tens of thousands of players before him have done, and two players that are much larger pieces of the Knights future were doing at the same time he was throwing his fit. They're both in the NHL now and he's making a half million in St. Petersburg.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Really rather amusing this guys "Warning" Russian Hockey Players against going to North America given the state of things and I mean both historically & contemporaneously with the KHL.... wondering if you'll get paid etc..... Gimme a break.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Really rather amusing this guys "Warning" Russian Hockey Players against going to North America given the state of things and I mean both historically & contemporaneously with the KHL.... wondering if you'll get paid etc..... Gimme a break.
I do not want to hijack the thread to another topic.... but

Yes, the KHL has had an history of not paid salaries, but the league will contract problematic clubs within next 3 years, only teams with no such problems will stay.

The Russian Hockey Federations & the KHL clubs have changed their opinion regarding the player´s development. The policy is to stop an exodus of prospects to North America´s juniors and getting back to home players who are right now in North America´s lower/junior leagues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killion

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
The Russian Hockey Federations & the KHL clubs have changed their opinion regarding the player´s development. The policy is to stop an exodus of prostects to North America´s juniors and getting back to home players who are right now in North America´s lower/junior leagues.
I thought the playter's were coming because there's enough freedom that Russians can't be stopped from leaving Russia...I don't see how the "opinion" of the Russian Hockey Federations & the KHL clubs changes anything relevant as they never wanted Russian players to leave before (so just like always the best players will continue to flee to play in NA/the NHL regardless)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I thought the playter's were coming because there's enough freedom that Russians can't be stopped from leaving Russia...I don't see how the "opinion" of the Russian Hockey Federations & the KHL clubs changes anything relevant as they never wanted Russian players to leave before (so just like always the best players will continue to flee to play in NA/the NHL regardless)
Yes, Russian prospects can move... but what has been happing last couple of years is really bad. Too many prospects going to NA and the result is that only one or two have made it to the NHL.

Russians will do care more about developing of prospects in Russian leagues, with better coaching & other things.

Russian Hockey Federations has adopted a rule - if a prospect wants to move abroad, he has to pay a financial compensation to his Russian club.

Russian Hockey Federations has adopted a rule about agents. They will be controlled more strictly, they will not do anything they want anymore.

The Federation will work with parents more closely.

That is just a few things which I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad