Shipachyov leaves Vegas for KHL, warns other Russians about going abroad

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Was there ever any intention of them asking him to play in the AHL. McPhee said to the media it was a paper transaction.
The second one was them asking him to play in the AHL, that's when this thing started in earnest.

I'm pretty sure they just had him sign the form saying he reported to Chicago so he can get paid and sent him home to Las Vegas the first time.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Going back to NTC/NMC clause ineligibility. My understanding is that he was not eligible to be group 3 UFA since he never had a previous NHL contract. Had he signed one of those one day contracts would he then be eligble to sign as group 3? one day contract would have to be before july 1st.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Going back to NTC/NMC clause ineligibility. My understanding is that he was not eligible to be group 3 UFA since he never had a previous NHL contract. Had he signed one of those one day contracts would he then be eligble to sign as group 3? one day contract would have to be before july 1st.

As of the 2013 CBA only goaltenders can sign a one day Professional Try-Out agreement to play in the NHL.** And the PTO isn't an SPC, so it wouldn't trigger the Group 3 language on SPC's.

**Professional Try-Out agreements for training camp are a different thing, though still not SPC's.

Reactions: LeHab

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Every player on the Golden Knights that was waiver exempt was sent down because they were waiver exempt and allowed the Knights to keep another player on the roster that was not waiver exempt.

Also, his talent wasn't shining in the preseason. I still think his waiver exempt status was the main reason he was sent down, but there's a decent chance they just wanted him to work things out in the AHL. He was not great in preseason/camp/practice.

I don't think we emphasize this enough. He came in expecting to be entitled to a first line position. He didn't come in great shape, he didn't work hard at getting into great shape and obviously was spending a lot of time and effort on the "acclimation" phase for himself and his family. All sounds nice, but this is the NHL where there are rookies and veterans alike working their butts off 12 months a year just in the hopes of getting to stay on an NHL roster and getting draw in a handful of games a year. They go hard every practice, show up prepared for every team meeting, show their dedication in the gym, and even then many don't get more than a cup of coffee with an NHL team. Even if you proved you are elite in another league, I don't think anyone disagrees that you should still show that kind of hustle and determination to continue to deserve your place among the world's best. The elite of the NHL could certainly try to coast, but none of these guys do. You hear nothing but of amazing work ethic and constant push to make themselves and teammates better. They know no other way. Shipachyov was nothing like this and if it didn't get him in trouble this year, it probably would have in another year with another team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad