Series Talk: Sheldon Keefe: in memoriam

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Keefe floats around the league like Eakins has for awhile. He's popular with young players so rebuilding teams may go for him.

Keefe’s chaotically creative and doesn’t necessarily do anything to solve problems that arise tactically in moment. So that’s his flaw as a coach.

The other real factor why he would be let go is because he’s got poor presentation as a confident alpha type leader that can rally the troops and set a standard.

Reactions: PromisedLand

MSteve

Mar 8, 2011
Is it the coach? Or the players. We are on coach #2 with this core. Changed the assistants. Changed the support staff. Changed the bottom 6. Changed the defense. Changed the goaltending.

It's the core lol.
This is right it is the core.
It's just also the coach.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We have to ask why Gallant has been let go by 3 teams the last 7 seasons.

Florida, Vegas and now NYR.

The strangest phenomena in pro sports is looking at someone who's been fired from multiple teams in a relative short amount of time, and thinking that all of a sudden they'll turn it around on your team.

I don't get the fascination with Gallent at all. Even if he's hired, he's almost certainly going to be fired within two to three years, just like he always is.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What good coach are we going to attract since we are also rebuilding based on other threads? Who wants to go through the next 5 years of no playoffs?

Or in this thread is it no longer the players' fault?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The strangest phenomena in pro sports is looking at someone who's been fired from multiple teams in a relative short amount of time, and thinking that all of a sudden they'll turn it around on your team.

I don't get the fascination with Gallent at all. Even if he's hired, he's almost certainly going to be fired within two to three years, just like he always is.
Hard not to get fascnitation about anyone who has taken you conference final and finals
All that last 5 years

But that being said, that's a big red flag. He seems to have some authority issues of some kind. I bet players turn on him rather quickly

None the less, a change in the helm has to be in order by now
Unfortunately, Keefe will do well. He got the experience he needed, so did Kyle in expense of the leafs

It was like their little lab and sandbox. They got to experiment, play, learn and grow as a management team. Only to f up the entire team

I genuinely hate Keefe for making a mockery of this franchise. What should have been our best years, some how this generational coach turned into worse

But hey what do I know, as few posters name Z and D always says, I am a boomer

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Is it the coach? Or the players. We are on coach #2 with this core. Changed the assistants. Changed the support staff. Changed the bottom 6. Changed the defense. Changed the goaltending.

It's the core lol.

It can be both. The core has issues scoring goals and the coach is preaching a system that continues to get exposed by a super aggressive forecheck.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Darryl Sutter please. Need a taskmaster that will truly ripple the culture causing the blue and white disease to prosper.

The TikTok Trio will beg to be traded and I'll be glad to see them go.

Keefe will continue to be a great regular season coach for a veteran team without a rotten immature core. That obviously won't be here due to said spoiled milk core boys and Captain Roboto.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Let's be honest here it's not a matter of whether Keefe will be fired, the conversation should be whether he'll coach in the NHL ever again.

He's been absolutely owned by every opposing coach in every playoff series he's coached in. His inability to adapt has been a huge problem and it has wasted the window that we had with the core 4.

New coach wishlist:
*Experienced veteran
*Not a candy ass, must be able to hold players accountable
*Does not need to be best buds with the GM
*Must love bag skates
I've always compared him to Bruce Boudreau. Solid coach but not the type to take you all the way.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I've always compared him to Bruce Boudreau. Solid coach but not the type to take you all the way.

In all seriousness, I'd be just fine if they hired Boudreau as a one to two season stop gap coach until they figured out who they wanted longer term if they do indeed fire Keefe.

For nothing more than to give. Bruce, a chance to finally work for the Leafs. Though he also strikes me as a guy who knows his place, and would probably be more comfortable serving than that capacity than many others

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
In all seriousness, I'd be just fine if they hired Boudreau as a one to two season stop gap coach until they figured out who they wanted longer term if they do indeed fire Keefe.

For nothing more than to give. Bruce, a chance to finally work for the Leafs. Though he also strikes me as a guy who knows his place, and would probably be more comfortable serving than that capacity than many others
Wouldn't mind that at all. Boudreau with the right assistants isn't a bad idea at all.

I just wonder if the players could even handle a hard ass coach coming in after Keefe.

Reactions: PromisedLand

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You can change coaches all u want .. it will not fix da playoff issues team has .. we need a roster changeover .. we need bigger faster younger shutdown 1D, we need a fast skilled C and we need an $$$ tender .. those 3 guys are not in current pipeline .. they need to be traded for or drafted .. where we are drafting we ain't getting any of those next year .. we may have Woll but he needs to play a season and playoffs to know if he can be da guy .. we don't need core 4 .. maybe 2 max of those guys likely Willy and Matty .. but it will depend on trade value this offseason .. JT will cost team to unload better he goes on LTIR .. Mitch will get 4 picks and players .. Matty probably 5 picks and players .. new GM will figure it out by 2023 draft .. oh well boys know da score and who knows maybe they can pull a miracle with 4 tender wins

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's amazing what a difference one week makes isn't it?

Some of the vitriol is warranted.

I'm still in disbelief that we have fared so poorly against Florida. The effort was there in games 1 and 2, but I'm at a loss to explain the effort from our top players last night.

Reactions: Buds17 and ToneDog

deprw

Mar 7, 2010

Loves his stars and creates country club environment, so hard to see how that would workout here.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Let's be honest here it's not a matter of whether Keefe will be fired, the conversation should be whether he'll coach in the NHL ever again.

He's been absolutely owned by every opposing coach in every playoff series he's coached in. His inability to adapt has been a huge problem and it has wasted the window that we had with the core 4.

New coach wishlist:
*Experienced veteran
*Not a candy ass, must be able to hold players accountable
*Does not need to be best buds with the GM
*Must love bag skates
Hiring a young rookie coach (started coaching in OHL in 2012, had 5 years of minor league player experience, was never mentored by any NHL coaches, went about as well as expected.

Tortorella, Maurice, and Cooper were taking candy from a baby. Maurice has been coaching in the NHL since the late 80s, when Keefe was an 8 year old.

Its shocking that Shanahan hired a rookie GM and let that rookie GM hire a young rookie coach.... At a period when we have never had so much talent.

It's so shockingly bad that you wonder if Shanahan could be gone as well.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

whats wrong with that? thats the nature of the beast.

Bottom Line: Gallant got VGK to the cup finals and NYR to the ECF. Results matter!

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Edmonton went through three coaches until they found one that clicked with the players.

They also went through two GMs.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Keefer you need to change things up HUGE and do things different in game 4 .. same old same old will be another loss

Kerfoot Lafferty Willy (play them every 2 or 3 shifts)
JT Matty Mitch (play them on offensive zone faceoffs)
Reese ROR Acciari (play grit grinder up boards and out for their shift)

Kampf to sub in here and there when guys get tired

Keep Wayner on bench for an energy shift here and there so Cats don't get aggressive with Willy
And then clean out your lockers Thursday.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
out-get-out.gif

Keefe trying to get into the team facility on Thursday.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

He's a great coach with a personality of a cactus.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think Keefe fired and Nylander traded would be a good start to the summer.

A new voice as head coach and a different mix up front should stir the drink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad