Value of: Shea Weber to TOR

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What would happen if the leafs bought him out in his last 3 cap cheat years? Does the recapture go away? Who pays it

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I would say the Leafs would be insane to take on that contract... but doesn't Nashville get stuck with the recapture penalties regardless of where he is when he retires or stops playing?

I think the Habs are off the hook if he retires after 34. And Nsh will have to take a cap penalty every year thereafter (any year after 34). But he starts making ~1mil at around 38 years old so I don't know if hes going to walk away from ~6m in salary before then.

Either way, I don't think that changes anything......if your hoping a player has to retire to get out of his cap hit than that's another problem in itself.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I would say the Leafs would be insane to take on that contract... but doesn't Nashville get stuck with the recapture penalties regardless of where he is when he retires or stops playing?
They absolutely are :D

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
What would happen if the leafs bought him out in his last 3 cap cheat years? Does the recapture go away? Who pays it

I don't think you'd buy him out in that case. You'd try to get him to retire, he's making 1m AAV anyways and NSH will take the cap penalty. Or I guess you try to LTIR him if he insists on making the salary.

I could be wrong though, haven't looked too much into it.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Honestly, I doubt he'd care at that point, considering he'd be only making 1m in salary. He could just make up some story about a knee injury or some skin problem or something, lol. Or he could retire and f*** the Preds big BIG time. Lots of options available - absolutely no need to buy him out!

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
2 1sts + one of Leivo/Bracco/Neilsen for 15% retained Weber

Or

Kapanen+ 1st + one of Leivo/Bracco/Neilsen for 15% retained Weber

I don't think that Weber would ever become worse than a 4D, but that speed is a concern, that said, this team can win now and win now is what they should try to do. We are loaded with prospects and we have a great team. It's going to get harder and harder to win as Matthews, Nylander and Marner get paid, now is the time to do it and Weber would be a pretty big upgrade provided that he doesn't cost us an arm and a leg.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Honestly, I doubt he'd care at that point, considering he'd be only making 1m in salary. He could just make up some story about a knee injury or some skin problem or something, lol. Or he could retire and **** the Preds big BIG time. Lots of options available - absolutely no need to buy him out!

Well if that were a way to get Nashville out of it. They would owe us a favour.

Who cares about buying out 750k for 4 years

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This is like suggesting Kessel to LA during the prime Sutter years. Weber is a great player, but he is not a fit for the game the team plays. When considering he has slowed down a lot just in the last 2 years, and the length of his cap hit, it just makes it easier to say no.

Leafs are 1st in the NHL. If they make a run and it becomes clear they need to make a move like this, then we can talk. Until then, let the team play. People think the Leafs D sucks, but it doesn't. Just a lot of guys who haven't been given the chance to make a name for themselves yet.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Nah you can keep your mistake, and God help you. :laugh:
I remember the frustration when we were looking to move Phaneuf on this board....being bashed due to Phaneuf's contract. Well Habs fans....buckle up, the ride will be even bumpier as Weber's contract is way worse.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
weber has the worst contract in the league. no team, especially the leafs, will take on that contract.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Give us draft picks & some prospects for Weber @6.5.

Just some assets to help kickstart a rebuild.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

I think it's broken up between the teams who benefited from the lower cap hit.
Nashville would definitely get nailed. Montreal might get a lesser hit as well.
Can anyone else chime in on this?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

I don't care about the picks but depending on the prospects you want, I'd definitely be interest.
I know he's slow but the Leafs could use that shot on the point and that size in the corners.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Forgive me here....but after the last decade or so of listening to Habs (and other fans) bash us on this site...watching the Habs spiral downward>>>>>acquiring Weber to "kickstart their rebuild".:D

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He's not an elite defenceman anymore, and he isn't worth one of Marner or Nylander in my eyes. Try selling him elsewhere. He's not a good skater and won't age well. I want nothing to do with that contract, he is getting paid on prior production. Unlike your gm, hopefully our's isn't stupid enough to trade a player entering his prime from one exiting his.

He is absolutely still an elite defenceman, he's taken a step back but this notion is ridiculous to me, 2 years from now though yeah he'll probably be a #2 guy unfortunately. His cap hit doesn't make sense for Toronto, but he and Rielly would make an incredible pairing

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
No, that cap hit isn't worth it. We can't afford him, it will cost us keeping some of our great young players long term.

Not necessary. Habs being rebuilding team can easily retain 50% of his salary. We will get ourselves a deal like Pit with Kessel. Adding extremely good player and true #1D for cheap cost cap wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad