Value of: Shea Weber to TOR

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
TO winning a cup would make us look terrible, and we’re giving you a huge needed asset to help? I don’t think so. Regardless of what you think of his age and contract.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't disagree that y'all need that but you will have to move probably Nylander for something like that to a team that can afford to lose someone of that caliber.

We can probably try to make a move for a top pairing UFA D in 2-3 years..move some furniture around if need be. Or just continue to scout the market and see if an opportunity presents itself. We have assets......Liljegren, Kapanen, Dermott, 1st's, other prospects...we're just not willing to move them for most D-men that appear to be on the market. Though I'm not suggesting that said d-men are on the market to begin with.

Don't think we can reasonably move Nylander though, pretty much creating a hole to fill another. Nylander is probably our 2nd most important player next to Matthews moving forward.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think it boils down to what Toronto wants to try to do. If you are in win now mode, the trade for Weber makes a ton of sense. He brings strong leadership, size, a good shot on the PP, and can beat around with the big boys. Paired with a good puck mover he would actually allow them to focus more on the offensive side of their game.

That said, if Toronto is looking at this season and the next as more growth years, and what ever they do is just icing, but they want the window to be more long lasting and a bit more down the line, you absolutely don't trade for Weber. Weber is the type of Dman you add right now if you need some D and you absolutely are saying we are after the cup this season. Otherwise long term that contract is gonna be rough if you have other big names to pay.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
TO winning a cup would make us look terrible, and we’re giving you a huge needed asset to help? I don’t think so. Regardless of what you think of his age and contract.
Meh, I'll be happy Canada finally wins a Cup after so many years.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
We can probably try to make a move for a top pairing UFA D in 2-3 years..move some furniture around if need be.

Don't think we can reasonably move Nylander though, pretty much creating a hole to fill another. Nylander is probably our 2nd most important player next to Matthews moving forward.

Agree with you. That's why every Parayko to TOR thread gets closed because (speaking from a Blues fan perspective) we cannot afford the hole left by giving him up.

I think that's why GMDA went after Schenn with draft picks. It filled either one of our 2 holes but not the 1C that was desired without creating a hole. If Martinez or Muzzin are comfortable on the right side it wouldn't be a horrible trade for y'all to make.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I think it boils down to what Toronto wants to try to do. If you are in win now mode, the trade for Weber makes a ton of sense. He brings strong leadership, size, a good shot on the PP, and can beat around with the big boys. Paired with a good puck mover he would actually allow them to focus more on the offensive side of their game.

That said, if Toronto is looking at this season and the next as more growth years, and what ever they do is just icing, but they want the window to be more long lasting and a bit more down the line, you absolutely don't trade for Weber. Weber is the type of Dman you add right now if you need some D and you absolutely are saying we are after the cup this season. Otherwise long term that contract is gonna be rough if you have other big names to pay.
I personally think Toronto's ready. That's why they added Marleau to their team. They have the offensive pieces, they have a solid goaltender - they're really only lacking a top RHD. I could completely see them win the Cup this year. I know as a Habs fan I should be scared or whatever, but I don't think that way. I have family and lots of friends in Toronto, and I know they've waited too damn long to see another Cup. Montreal's time will come shortly (we need to rebuild/retool first). I'd rather see them than Pittsburgh or Chicago win another damn cup.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Agree with you. That's why every Parayko to TOR thread gets closed because (speaking from a Blues fan perspective) we cannot afford the hole left by giving him up.

I think that's why GMDA went after Schenn with draft picks. It filled either one of our 2 holes but not the 1C that was desired without creating a hole. If Martinez or Muzzin are comfortable on the right side it wouldn't be a horrible trade for y'all to make.

I haven't caught the Blues but Flyer fans were pretty adamant that Schenn sucked at C in his time there....though I'm not implying otherwise, it could have been some favourable narrative as well.

Agreed on the Parayko debacle...I wouldn't hate the deal but I probably wouldn't do it either.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I haven't caught the Blues but Flyer fans were pretty adamant that Schenn sucked at C in his time there....though I'm not implying otherwise, it could have been some favourable narrative as well.

Agreed on the Parayko debacle...I wouldn't hate the deal but I probably wouldn't do it either.

He's been great for us solely because him and Schwartz have unbelievable chemistry out of nowhere.

Reactions: firstemperor

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Seems like the only way this happens is in a Kessel-to-PIT type scenario--a potentially ugly return with retention for a necessary culture-change trade.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
No thanks to that contract. The Leafs will need to spend wisely in a few years and taking on a Weber would mean sacrificing several valuable pieces. Pieces that probably hold more value than Weber by the time he's 34/35. And what Babcock says isn't important, every coach would like to have Weber, that's not exactly a secret.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Sounds like a good idea. Judging by usage in international tournaments that Babcock has coached, it's clear that he considers Weber just about the best Dman in Canada and would likely be willing to give up a lot to be able to have him on his team.

Leafs also have plenty of futures they can give up in order to acquire a #1 D of his caliber. Marner, Kapanen and something else could be the framework for a good and fair trade.

Seems like the only way this happens is in a Kessel-to-PIT type scenario--a potentially ugly return with retention for a necessary culture-change trade.
#1D vs a scoring winger is a completely different thing. One has some serious, serious value. Other not so much.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Habs need a full rebuild. It's evident.
Leafs want a top pairing RHD.

Babcock adores Weber. In fact, he just mentioned this a few days ago to a Montreal reporter:

I think a deal could be made between the Habs and the Leafs, involving Man Mountain Shea Weber.

Montreal is strictly looking for futures/prospects/young players. Obviously Weber is of a certain age, but he could definitely be of great use for another few years - enough for the Leafs to contend for the Cup a few times!

What do you say, Toronto?

I honestly don't know what we could offer for him that you'd take. Certainly not a core player.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I disagree about him not being a top 20 anymore. Also, Babcock clearly stated he would take him on his team, hence the thread!
Ya, he would take him....for free. If the quote was "if you don't want him...we will trade for him" then this thread might make sense. If anyone thinks the Leafs would pay a high cost to acquire that albatross of a contract,then they haven't been following the Leafs rebuild.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If the Leafs could do it with only picks and prospects (preferably not Kap, Lil or Dermott) then I'd do it.
The Leafs already have too many good young prospects with no place to play them.

Trade JVR and Bozak for picks and then put together a package of something like two 1sts + Bracco/Brooks or a 1st + a 2nd + Carrick.

All this is for not though, as I don't think the Habs are ready to rebuild after locking up Price for the third highest contract in the league.
If anything, they need to trade Patches. The guy is the a combo of the Tin-Man and the cowardly lion. No heart or courage.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Babs could work him in. I think if you retained ALLOT of his contract this could work.

This is the right move for Montreal to make. I just don't think Toronto is your dance partner. I'd see if Buffalo or Edmonton/ Phoenix would want to dance? Picks and prospects...you may need to take on a bad contract as well and you absolutely will need to retain allot of his awful contract.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
This is something invented in the minds of fans, and I'm certain GMs don't give a second thought to. If you can move an asset in a deal that you believe makes YOU better (short or longer term), then you do it. Toronto winning the cup doesn't reflect poorly on its rivals.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Sounds like a good idea. Judging by usage in international tournaments that Babcock has coached, it's clear that he considers Weber just about the best Dman in Canada and would likely be willing to give up a lot to be able to have him on his team.

Leafs also have plenty of futures they can give up in order to acquire a #1 D of his caliber. Marner, Kapanen and something else could be the framework for a good and fair trade.

#1D vs a scoring winger is a completely different thing. One has some serious, serious value. Other not so much.

Babcock doesn't get to make those decisions.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

You think it would be Marner + Kapanen +?

Why don't the Jets trade Laine + 1st for him and then you can trade trouba for a goalie?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's not a top 20 defender anymore, and his aging skating would get completely exposed with how the Leafs currently play. We aren't trading one of Nylander or Marner for a 32 year old physical defenceman. Now, maybe if you still had Subban it might be a discussion worth having.

Not a top 20 defenseman anymore? Maybe you can argue he is not a top 10 but he is most definitely a top 20 and he's in many peoples top 10. The contract is not monstrous when you consider he does not play those last 3 years at $1M. So with Weber, it's $7.86M from the age of 32-37.

Leafs just signed Marleau from age 38-40 at $6.25M and some people are worried about Weber from 32-37 at $7.86M

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I'd like to have Weber, but he's just not worth that contract though. Montreal would have to retain like, 25% of his salary to make it work.

Brown, Lilegren, a 1st and a 3rd for Weber(25% retained)

BAM

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Babs could work him in. I think if you retained ALLOT of his contract this could work.

This is the right move for Montreal to make. I just don't think Toronto is your dance partner. I'd see if Buffalo or Edmonton/ Phoenix would want to dance? Picks and prospects...you may need to take on a bad contract as well and you absolutely will need to retain allot of his awful contract.

What are the chances Weber plays from age 38-40 with the $1M annual salary? Also, I think many posters are mistaken at how many GM's would be interested in acquiring Weber if he became available. Weber at $7.86M from the age of 32-37 is not a awful contract. If (more like When) Weber retires after the age 37 season where he makes $3M, the recapture penalty goes to the Preds.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
What are the chances Weber plays from age 38-40 with the $1M annual salary? Also, I think many posters are mistaken at how many GM's would be interested in acquiring Weber if he became available. Weber at $7.86M from the age of 32-37 is not a awful contract. If (more like When) Weber retires after the age 37 season where he makes $3M, the recapture penalty goes to the Preds.

It's not the worst contract at all, but it's simply too much for the Leafs with all the other ones they will have to pay, coming up very soon. Y'all would have to retain/take a contract coming back, for it to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad