Proposal: Shea Weber To Buffalo (edited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I'd actually like the idea of a guy like Weber in Buffalo. But that contract scares the heck out of me...

IMO the Sabres desperately need some type of well respected veteran presence in that locker room who can keep the young high draft picks in line.

But it can't just be some scrub veteran. Like Jordan Nolan for example. He seemed like a great example for the kids, but who TF is going to listen to a 4th line grinder?

Weber is someone who even Eichel could look up to. He's established himself as a star in this league, and is by all accounts a great veteran presence and leader in the locker room.

But...

As much as I'd love a veteran presence like Weber, Man, that $7.8M cap hit for the next 8 years... I don't know if Buffalo could do that with Eichel's $10mx8, ROR's $7.5Mx5, Okposo's $6M x 5, Reinhart up for a new deal and Dahlin + Mittelstadt who will need to be paid in 3 yrs.

Plus there's just no way Buffalo is giving up their 2019 1st. They just finished dead last, and haven't finished better than 8th last since before 2012.

So I'd have to decline the OP's offer.
Although I'm not totally against Weber in Buffalo (maybe with say, like $1M to $1.8M retained. Or with someone like Okposo going back), this isn't the right deal.

A guy, well we're still getting hosed in this trade. I'm not sure where you get that this makes Buffalo any better over the long term. I'm good at adding more cap, for an even older player, while giving up Nylander or picks. Absolute garbage. We're a bottom feeder and we won't make the playoffs with Pacioretty or Weber making ANY difference.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
HAH, no! Weber is in the midst of an extremely back loaded contract that covers an extreme amount of time 25-26. This is TERRIBLE. We're rid of Bogosian in two years. There is no chance under the sun that this makes sense for the Sabres. We're also giving up a prospect who just needs more time in Nylander. Not in any rush to help Montreal with ANYTHING.

You wanted a pair of 1st round picks for a declining asset in Weber who's coming off major surgery and is 33..signed through 2025-26. That's rich. This is by far the WORST I've seen yet between Montreal and Buffalo. We're REBUILDING, I'm not sure where your lack of common sense went.

It could be argued that the foundation for the rebuild has been laid, and it's now time to begin taking the next step

The proposal was made with that approach in mind

Reactions: DarthProbert

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Whatever changes you make the Weber contract is toxic! Massive termleft at 7.8m per! No one wants to pick up $60m on a contract likely to be horrible in two or three years.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sabres < Weber

Habs < Bogosian, Girgensons, Nylander

Buffalo gets a capable veteran star to lead their young team to the next level

Montreal sheds Weber's long term contract while adding a pair of 1st round picks, plus some warm bodies which could potentially be flipped at the deadline for additional long term assets

EDIT: Removed the 2 first round picks, included Alex Nylander instead
Montreal is not moving Weber. You can close this thread. He is the only decent thing they have on the blueline. He has a big contract, so what? Habs are 20 million under cap they can't spend this summer. His salary is not an issue

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
to be fair, even if Weber's retiring early, BUF would not be the one stuck with the recapture (NAS) and it's not a 35+ contract so, all money would come off the book. I see that deal as very beneficial for BUF's rebuild process, in condition that they acquire a goaltender ASAP but yes the OP would need some tweaking and I see Weber retiring at the end of 2022/23

SEASONCAP HIT S. BONUSES BASE SALARY TOTAL SALARY
2018-19$7,857,143$0$6,000,000$6,000,000
2019-20$7,857,143$0$6,000,000$6,000,000
2020-21$7,857,143$0$6,000,000$6,000,000
2021-22$7,857,143$0$6,000,000$6,000,000
2022-23$7,857,143$0$3,000,000$3,000,000
2023-24$7,857,143$0$1,000,000$1,000,000
2024-25$7,857,143$0$1,000,000$1,000,000
2025-26$7,857,143$0$1,000,000$1,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I wasn't referring to him retiring. If he retired after 3-4 years it would be better than if he didn't.

But the Sabres are giving up too much value regardless of the contract situation.

Reactions: normaliswear

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Habs fans just need to stop making threads at this point. Your posting privileges can be reinstated once Pacioretty is no longer on the roster and you all sign a statement that you recognize Weber’s and Price’s contracts will require an incentive to move.

In what world are you living

KingTux

Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
The world of 30 other fan bases who are sick of you guys spamming the forum with ludicrous proposals.

Well you better find yourself a new hobby because there always will be thread like this one. Ignore it if you don't want to be part of it

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
It could be argued that the foundation for the rebuild has been laid, and it's now time to begin taking the next step

The proposal was made with that approach in mind

Adding a 33 year old with 9 more seasons and coming off a major injury concern. THAT IS NOT the next phase. LOL That's like saying Nail Yakupov still has time to show he's a worthy former #1 pick.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Your value meter is miles off.

Eichel needs this deal and he get through with Sabres to SC next season with great defence and goalies and with lonely star then he preppering going to Seattle after 2020 I wanted this with Eichel when he's a star already in North America.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
I can't imagine Weber gets traded anywhere without some salary being retained. Question for the cap guys: are there limitations on what Montreal can retain since Weber only makes $1M in salary the last three years of the deal? I might be in the minority, but I feel like Weber with $2.5M in cap retained has some decent value... enough where, yeah, giving up non-essential pieces like Nylander, Bogosian, and Girgensons seems OK.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Well you better find yourself a new hobby because there always will be thread like this one. Ignore it if you don't want to be part of it

If it were only so easy. It’s kind of difficult to ignore when half the threads on the front page alone are garbage proposals by Montreal fans. The combination of the constant spamming with the sheer absurdity of the proposals and the refusal to take “no” for an answer when the other teams’ fans universally turn them down is just turning this forum to garbage. Believe me, if there were a way to block an entire fanbase on this forum I’d have used it a long time ago.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Eichel needs this deal and he get through with Sabres to SC next season with great defence and goalies and with lonely star then he preppering going to Seattle after 2020 I wanted this with Eichel when he's a star already in North America.

What???? Again clueless. Teams won’t lets their stars go to Seattle I can’t even follow what the hell your trying to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
I trying to have a team mate stronger with Eichel and Bouwmeester plus a great goalie of four as big three in my best club Krakan, Is like Russian dream with building an team. Russia is strongest in world history in hockey with over 20 even 25 gold in IIWC.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
A guy, well we're still getting hosed in this trade. I'm not sure where you get that this makes Buffalo any better over the long term. I'm good at adding more cap, for an even older player, while giving up Nylander or picks. Absolute garbage. We're a bottom feeder and we won't make the playoffs with Pacioretty or Weber making ANY difference.

I think maybe you misunderstood what I said. (or maybe just didn't read my entire, long rambling post? lol)

I actually said no to the OP's offer (and Nylander wasn't a part of it when I posted that).

I was mainly just saying that I like the idea of a guy like Weber in Buffalo (i.e. a well respected veteran star that's an actual leader in the locker room and could keep the kids in line, as I think it's something Buffalo is desperately missing (and scrub veterans don't cut it)).
But not with that contract and not for that trade package mentioned. And I said there's no chance Buffalo gives up their 1st.

I also said that I didn't know if Buffalo could take on that contract at all, no matter what. Especially with deals already on the books and those coming due in the coming years.
But I said for there to be any chance for Buffalo to be able to take that on, Montreal would need to retain on Weber and/or take Okposo back.

And even then I'm hesitant because of that contract. Okposo is only on the books for 5yrs, compared to Weber's 8yrs. Plus he's just about 3yrs younger than Weber too. Would it be worth the gamble that Okposo rebounds from last season? Or taking on 3 extra yrs of Weber, who is still playing at a high level right now? Tough call...

Ultimately, I don't think there's a deal to be done that both Montreal and Buffalo fans would agree to.
Buffalo fans, including myself, don't want to give up any prime assets for Weber or take on his deal.
And Montreal just recently traded PK Subban straight up for Weber. They can't afford to get bad value for Weber. They will just keep him, as he's probably more valuable to Montreal than any other team in the league.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Shea Weber is still a really good player but the remaining 8 years for a 33 year old defenceman is a major issue.

Weber is coming back from a torn tendon in his leg. That is one of the worst injury you could have in this sport. If you've ever torn a tendon or ligament, you know exactly how difficult it is to fully recover.

A broken bone is so much easier to recover from.

Weber is not worth a lot, given his age, health and the term and AAV of his contract.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

KingTux

Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
If it were only so easy. It’s kind of difficult to ignore when half the threads on the front page alone are garbage proposals by Montreal fans. The combination of the constant spamming with the sheer absurdity of the proposals and the refusal to take “no” for an answer when the other teams’ fans universally turn them down is just turning this forum to garbage. Believe me, if there were a way to block an entire fanbase on this forum I’d have used it a long time ago.

Oh I would have done the same, trust me, but with a different Canadian team... The main board content is usually thrash but here we are commenting on it anyways

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If we were getting those sweet off-the-books buyouts in the next CBA, I'd have to consider this. I can't hang on to that contract until he's forty, but thirty-six? That's a lot more palatable.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m not going to lie if Weber was wearing a Sabres jersey I’d be pretty stoked. That contract is something though

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Sabres < Weber

Habs < Bogosian, Girgensons, Nylander

Buffalo gets a capable veteran star to lead their young team to the next level

Montreal sheds Weber's long term contract while adding a pair of 1st round picks, plus some warm bodies which could potentially be flipped at the deadline for additional long term assets

EDIT: Removed the 2 first round picks, included Alex Nylander instead

if montreal wanted to draft top 5 for the next 3 years it seems a pretty decent deal for them

but on a forum dedicated to prospect worship that thinks anyone over the age of 29 is dead... I doubt you will get much love for this proposal from sabre repersentatives

im quite certain montreal would get much much much much much better offers from real nhl gms if they do decide to trade weber

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Buffalo has too many up and coming players who are going to demand their worth in contracts to be dealing with Weber’s contract. That term, geez

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
if montreal wanted to draft top 5 for the next 3 years it seems a pretty decent deal for them

but on a forum dedicated to prospect worship that thinks anyone over the age of 29 is dead... I doubt you will get much love for this proposal from sabre repersentatives

im quite certain montreal would get much much much much much better offers from real nhl gms if they do decide to trade weber

I think you're wrong...respectfully

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
honestly when making proposals... people need to use some common sense

weber is now only making 6 mill real salary which is the real money he will make this year at age 33, next at 34, and again at 35 and 36

premium hof talent worthy dmen always stay very effective until age 36... and the cap hit for a legitimate number 1 dman is usually in that 7 mill neighborhood.

there would be 20-22 teams bidding on weber if he was put on the market and these teams would all view him as their new best dman

those final 4 years he makes a total of 6 mill real cash... but helps a bottom team reach the cap floor and is very likely going to be a zdeno chara type asset to some team. he very possibly could still be a legitimate number 1 dman who is only costing the team 3 or 1 mill real cash

if someone wants to trade for him today... they better start offering erik karlsson type return. karlsson will be 29 next year when his new 8 year contract kicks in. its going to be well above 8 mill per year and will take him to age 36-37

hes going to cost more... hes not nearly as good defensively... he relies a lot on his skating to be elite. skating falls off before size does. a guy like paul coffey for example was not too impressive after age 35

whoever is lucky enough to get erik karlsson will have to give him a ntc and will very likely be stuck with a horrible contract for a couple years

and yet... everyone is willing to give up the farm for him

when/if weber is traded 'smart' gms/teams will realize that weber is a better gamble as far as getting value from the contract and his trade value will reflect this reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad