Proposal: Shea Weber To Buffalo (edited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Sabres < Weber

Habs < Bogosian, Girgensons, Nylander

Buffalo gets a capable veteran star to lead their young team to the next level

Montreal sheds Weber's long term contract while adding a pair of 1st round picks, plus some warm bodies which could potentially be flipped at the deadline for additional long term assets

EDIT: Removed the 2 first round picks, included Alex Nylander instead

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
How many future picks are honestly more valuable than the Sabres 2019 first at this point? They never score, have no wingers coming, have no goalie and their defense was the worst I’ve ever seen.

That pick isn’t moving.

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
Not even worth one first. This is Montreal wishes and string. Based on merit, this is perhaps the most lopsided trade I've seen.

Sabres < Weber

Habs < Bogosian, Girgensons, 2019 1st, Sharks' 2019 1st

Montreal sheds Weber's long term contract while adding a pair of 1st round picks, plus some warm bodies which could potentially be flipped at the deadline for additional long term assets

Reactions: CacOBG

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
How many future picks are honestly more valuable than the Sabres 2019 first at this point? They never score, have no wingers coming, have no goalie and their defense was the worst I’ve ever seen.

That pick isn’t moving.

My thinking was that with both Weber and Dahlin in town, the Sabres might actually make the playoffs next season

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Weber would be a good fit in Buffalo and would help their D and playoff chances immensely (assuming he's healthy).

That said, the Sabres would need some incentive to take that contract. While the next 2-3 years of Weber at just under $8M will be fine, the last 4-5 years are going to be brutal.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I actually like it. 2 firsts might be a bit much, throw in something lesser in place of one of them, but I'd consider it as GM of either team. And that Weber contract isn't as bad as people make it out to be...unless you're Nashville.

Reactions: Grabner

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Oh my god the Sabres get absolutely bent over. Two firsts, which could both be lottery picks +++ for a declining Weber? That is worth more than Subban for god sakes.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
My thinking was that with both Weber and Dahlin in town, the Sabres might actually make the playoffs next season

I doubt they make the playoffs if Dahlin plays at a Norris level. They have absolutely no depth at all.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Not worth it. Weber is still a good player, just the contract is so long. We'd get a good defenseman for 2-3 years then be stuck with one of the league's worst contracts for however long it goes after that.

Nah, Nashville will send you a 1st to prevent him from retiring and crushing them with dead cap penalties.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
No way I’m sending Weber to a divisional rival for sone cap dump and 2 first. He’s simply not available

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Habs would be lucky to get that offer for weber and the sabres easily day no to that offer.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

That pick isn’t moving.

Are you serious ? Imagine a Weber-Dahlin pairing. You would have the scariest defense in the League to go with Eichel-Reinhart-Mittlestadt up front. Your pick would likely be a late 1st rounder

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Oh my god the Sabres get absolutely bent over. Two firsts, which could both be lottery picks +++ for a declining Weber? That is worth more than Subban for god sakes.

Lol, that moment when you need to pretend that the sharks are a lottery team and cap dumps are huge pluses in order to complain about trade values

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Buffalo doesn't need to give up futures for veterans, they need to continue to build for the future. Even with Dahlin, there's no guarantee that they're even a wildcard team next season.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Habs fans just need to stop making threads at this point. Your posting privileges can be reinstated once Pacioretty is no longer on the roster and you all sign a statement that you recognize Weber’s and Price’s contracts will require an incentive to move.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Obviously Weber is a good player but, sometimes, a player just doesn’t fit into what an organization is trying to accomplish.

This is an example of that.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Sabres < Weber

Habs < Bogosian, Girgensons, 2019 1st, Sharks' 2019 1st

You talk about shedding salary in the same sentence as getting 2 1sts. Lets not be silly

Reactions: Connor McConnor

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I'd actually like the idea of a guy like Weber in Buffalo. But that contract scares the heck out of me...

IMO the Sabres desperately need some type of well respected veteran presence in that locker room who can keep the young high draft picks in line.

But it can't just be some scrub veteran. Like Jordan Nolan for example. He seemed like a great example for the kids, but who TF is going to listen to a 4th line grinder?

Weber is someone who even Eichel could look up to. He's established himself as a star in this league, and is by all accounts a great veteran presence and leader in the locker room.

But...

As much as I'd love a veteran presence like Weber, Man, that $7.8M cap hit for the next 8 years... I don't know if Buffalo could do that with Eichel's $10mx8, ROR's $7.5Mx5, Okposo's $6M x 5, Reinhart up for a new deal and Dahlin + Mittelstadt who will need to be paid in 3 yrs.

Plus there's just no way Buffalo is giving up their 2019 1st. They just finished dead last, and haven't finished better than 8th last since before 2012.

So I'd have to decline the OP's offer.
Although I'm not totally against Weber in Buffalo (maybe with say, like $1M to $1.8M retained. Or with someone like Okposo going back), this isn't the right deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad