Player Discussion Shea Weber - [mod warning post #26)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada
I don't get the complaint that he's slow. Looking at him playing never left me with the impression that he was slow or behind the play. He's a big guy that skates well by big guy standards. :dunno:

I have noticed it quite a bit in his play. More often than not his partner and him swap coverage because of the lack of speed. If he comes back this year make a point to look for it. The other point you make also raises a discussion point in that, perhaps a mobile, fast D is more important these days instead of a big D squad.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
So what your saying is let’s ignore his strong start and 18 points in 22 games just to further an immature agenda, propagated by a minority of disgruntled PK fanboys, in order to disregard Weber as being a good defenseman.

Why bash Weber’s success and play? He didn’t ask for the trade. It’s not his fault. He probably didn’t even want to be traded. Nashville is a better team, and city to play for. Most elite players (who have the choice of where to play, usually have Montreal as one of their last destinations). Point the finger at the proper direction if you were unhappy about the trade.
why in hell would a fan care about that ???

if he doesnt like it here he can ask for a trade and get the f*** out or this city. Habs are not winning with him anyway so...

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
You're under selling him. "Good point shot"? He's got the best point shot in hockey, and one of the greatest point shots of all-time.
"Defensively solid"? He's one of the best defensive d-men in hockey. He also happens to be one of the most physically dominant players in the game today. All that, with elite intangibles as well.

The most physically dominant player. Lol what a lie. Stop drinking the coolaid. At this point Weber is too slow to even deliver a good hit

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You're under selling him. "Good point shot"? He's got the best point shot in hockey, and one of the greatest point shots of all-time.
"Defensively solid"? He's one of the best defensive d-men in hockey. He also happens to be one of the most physically dominant players in the game today. All that, with elite intangibles as well.
ELITE intengibles ??

seriously ??

:laugh:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I can give you the first part but the bolded is one heck of a pile of shit.

The elite intangibles part is especially funny. Do people still believe in those things, after all that has happened?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I can give you the first part but the bolded is one heck of a pile of ****.

The elite intangibles part is especially funny. Do people still believe in those things, after all that has happened?
You don't think leadership and being a good locker room presence exists? If so, I bet you've never set foot in a locker room then.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You don't think leadership and being a good locker room presence exists? If so, I bet you've never set foot in a locker room then.
I can give you the first part but the bolded is one heck of a pile of ****.

exactly, ELITE intagibles at work in the Habs org. we've seen the results...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I do think it exists.

Have YOU set a foot in the Habs locker room to prove it?

Because from what I can tell Weber has never lead Nashville anywhere, and he sure hasn't lead the Habs anywhere. As a matter of fact, the locker room cancer we traded for him happened to have a bigger impact on both teams involved so far in their respective careers. Does that mean we traded a player with even more intangibles?

How about captain Intangibles himself. Sure seems like he has been carrying those Hawks teams to glory as of late. And here I thought he was the greatest leader of his era?

It's all BS.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
I do think it exists.

Because from what I can tell Weber has never lead Nashville anywhere, and he sure hasn't lead the Habs anywhere. As a matter of fact, the locker room cancer we traded for him happened to have a bigger impact on both teams involved so far in their respective careers. Does that mean we traded a player with even more intangibles?

How about captain Intangibles himself. Sure seems like he has been carrying those Hawks teams to glory as of late. And here I thought he was the greatest leader of his era?

It's all BS.

life is bs.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I do think it exists.

It's all BS.

You could add:

Did his elite leadership help when the team was in a big slump last year that eventually cost MT's job?
Did his elite leadership help at the start of this season when the team was 1-6-1?

If we're talking about leadership, I would probably rate Weber as high as Pacioretty

.. but then, sure, we're not in the locker room so who knows

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada

So in my original post I said he "has a great slapper", so sorry I used the word good instead of great in my follow up post. Your statements of best point shot in hockey and all time are definitely arguable.

The rest of your post is one of the most ridiculous I have ever seen on the topic of Weber, and I'm not even going to bother having a conversation with you here on out. Enjoy your Man Mountain.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Well from my standpoint, I just dont see it. I see a team with a lack of leadership actually. The way they crumble even with Price in the net its pretty telling. The guy never smile, never do anything for montreal. When the season is over he rushes back to BC. He doesnt protect his teamate on the ice. He seems like a pretty selfish player. Anywah at this point its pretty clear we got screwed big time in this trade. In the hockey department and performance on ice plus all the others stuff PK was doing for the city. Bergevin should be jailed for that one. Stealing so many smiles from sick kids, what a bastard

None of what you said really makes any sense

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada
Didn't realize it was Josi that got Weber to be the Norris finalist in 2011, guess Weber wasn't very good before then...

Cause you know, 7 years ago when Weber was a Norris trophy "finalist" is so relevant to today. This Norris trophy voting crap is just so sad. Come on people, you're smarter than this.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
If I had the option of trading for Weber and I had to give up a current elite piece or a piece that had the potential to be elite, I wouldn't do it.

It's a young man's game, he's on the decline and his decline will only get worse. He's 32, signed until he's 40 at a huge cap hit. I wouldn't want his cap hit. For someone who claims to not want to put the organization in danger by signing older players to long term deals (i.e. signing Radulov until he's 35) it's absolutely bonkers that Bergevin traded a top young asset (PK Subban) for declining Weber's contract until he's 40.

Molson has no excuse for having Bergevin still making the decisions that will determine the fate of this organization.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Recently posters were debating: which is worse the Subban-Weber deal or Drouin-Sergachev deal.

I won't at all be surprised if in a couple years, we're debating which is worse the Gomez-McDonagh deal or the Weber-Subban deal.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Weber's always been the better goal scorer and it's not remotely close. Weber has 9 seasons of 15 + goals, Subban has 1 though he should make it 2. But MB got bent over on that trade. Subban at 28 is in his prime and looking to have a career year while Weber's foot is about to retire.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I like our man mountain and feel he’s under appreciated around here but I got to admit, I started laughing when I read elite intangible.

Watch Bergevin say that when he acquire our next scrub. :laugh:

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015

Reads Alzner thread with your predictions then reads this*

Yup everything checks out

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Weber's always been the better goal scorer and it's not remotely close. Weber has 9 seasons of 15 + goals, Subban has 1 though he should make it 2. But MB got bent over on that trade. Subban at 28 is in his prime and looking to have a career year while Weber's foot is about to retire.

Bergevin trades Subban after the I'm not paid to score goals line for the best goal scoring defenceman in the league. Man Poile really got him at the perfect time. His $7.8m Captain malfunctioned against the Sharks and everyone saw it, but here's the GM of the Canadiens pouting he couldn't trade Subban to get Dubois and he only has a week to trade PK before his no movement clause kicks in. "Hey, you want a real goal scorer on your blueline? A guy who won't make your coach look bad? Don't ask me why I want to trade the supposed face of my franchise for a recently injured $9 million dollar not paid to score goals guy. What do you say Marc?"

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Sure, it exists. It doesn't mean that it changes much of anything. There are countless and countless examples of these amazing leaders playing on crap teams or losing. Leadership can, one time, out of many many many many other times, make a difference.
Weber was supposed to help Patches become a better Captain and lead this team. I mean, if you believe in fairy tales, I guess you bought into that crap, but whatever, say you give them the benefit of the doubt. Fine.
Weber comes in. What happens in year 2 of Max's leadership? Well we have to fire the coach to avoid yet another collapse as it has been clear for a few years now that the bozo behind the bench can't coach.
Okay. Byebye Therrien. Team rebounds a bit, and in the POs we go...Did we even score a goal in the PO? I can't remember...Great inspiring performance by our Captain. Man Mountain's elite intangibles were clearly in full effect. Truly inspiring.

Okay...On to this year. Wow. What a season we are having. :facepalm:

Time for you to grow up and stop believing in Santa, the Bunny and the Fairy.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Sure, it exists. It doesn't mean that it changes much of anything. There are countless and countless examples of these amazing leaders playing on crap teams or losing. Leadership can, one time, out of many many many many other times, make a difference.
Weber was supposed to help Patches become a better Captain and lead this team. I mean, if you believe in fairy tales, I guess you bought into that crap, but whatever, say you give them the benefit of the doubt. Fine.
Weber comes in. What happens in year 2 of Max's leadership? Well we have to fire the coach to avoid yet another collapse as it has been clear for a few years now that the bozo behind the bench can't coach.
Okay. Byebye Therrien. Team rebounds a bit, and in the POs we go...Did we even score a goal in the PO? I can't remember...Great inspiring performance by our Captain. Man Mountain's elite intangibles were clearly in full effect. Truly inspiring.

Okay...On to this year. Wow. What a season we are having. :facepalm:

Time for you to grow up and stop believing in Santa, the Bunny and the Fairy.
If you read my original post I merely pointed to Webers intangibles as a cherry on top.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Meh, I still like Weber. Don't like what we gave up for him, but I think he's a good addition on any team. I think he takes a contending team to the next level, not a team like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad