Player Discussion Shea Weber - [mod warning post #26)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Meh, I still like Weber. Don't like what we gave up for him, but I think he's a good addition on any team. I think he takes a contending team to the next level, not a team like this one.

I more or less agree with this. I don't think anyone acquiring Weber would be getting a bum deal, unless they think he's supposed to carry their defence. Cut his minutes down a bit, put him with an excellent PMD, and have him as just another option on the PP instead of the main focus. That would be a club that would consider him worth every penny.

I don't know it could be done (probably with the Habs eating David Savard's contract) but I think he would be perfect for Columbus. They got Jones so he doesn't have to be everything for their right side. Don't ask me the return I just see them as the right team for Weber.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If you read my original post I merely pointed to Webers intangibles as a cherry on top.
Merely? You claimed it was elite...whatever that means.
You exaggerated to pump Weber's tires. Elite intangibles...one of the most physically dominant..
Weber has arguably the best point shot, I agree, he also is very solid defending in his zone.
Physically dominant? Meh...I don't see him do much of anything with it. He isn't laying anybody out, using his fist to pummel guys, making sure nobody wants to be on his side. Emelin was more physically dominant.
As for intangibles, mostly his leadership. It's a joke. Pretty much completely useless. Leadership is the most overrated thing in hockey. Where is this alleged leadership? Can you point to any instance where you saw how this leadership had any type of significant impact on the team?
It's an old hockey cliche, that rarely ever comes true.

Reactions: ArtPeur

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I'm not stressed with Weber. He has 4 more seasons with the habs.
The last 4 years of his contracts makes him tradeable (5 millions of salary and 31.4 millions in cap additionned)

A team like Arizona can trade for him.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Weber went from having "top" centres in Nashville such as Mike Fisher, Mike Ribeiro and David Legwand.. to coming here and having guys like Danault, Plekanec and a bunch of wingers playing centre. Unsurprisingly, Nashville didn't go anywhere while he was there and Montreal ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Nashville has greatly improved their team by adding Johansen, Turris and Bonino to their centre group, while we've added nothing.

Weber/Subban are both top 10 D in this league, both are excellent and have different strengths, but one D can't carry a whole team. It wasn't Subban's fault we had off years in the past while he was here and it is not Weber's fault we haven't done anything since he's been here. Weber is the least of my concerns, if you swap Weber for Subban right now we'd still be out of the playoffs and Nashville would still be one of the top teams in the whole league.

Weber has done his job here when healthy, unfortunately Bergevin and management continue to fail to do theirs.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Merely? You claimed it was elite...whatever that means.
You exaggerated to pump Weber's tires. Elite intangibles...one of the most physically dominant..
Weber has arguably the best point shot, I agree, he also is very solid defending in his zone.
Physically dominant? Meh...I don't see him do much of anything with it. He isn't laying anybody out, using his fist to pummel guys, making sure nobody wants to be on his side. Emelin was more physically dominant.
As for intangibles, mostly his leadership. It's a joke. Pretty much completely useless. Leadership is the most overrated thing in hockey. Where is this alleged leadership? Can you point to any instance where you saw how this leadership had any type of significant impact on the team?
It's an old hockey cliche, that rarely ever comes true.
He's as physically dominant as any other defender in the league today. In your mind you're comparing him to guys from yesterday year where you were allowed to clutch, hold, and crush skulls. Weber is smart enough to know when to pick his spots as to not take dumb penalties. That's what you want. But he still crushes MFs.

But ya, I'm the one exaggerating, not the guy who basically describes Weber as some plug... :rolleyes:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's as physically dominant as any other defender in the league today. In your mind you're comparing him to guys from yesterday year where you were allowed to clutch, hold, and crush skulls. Weber is smart enough to know when to pick his spots as to not take dumb penalties. That's what you want. But he still crushes MFs.

But ya, I'm the one exaggerating, not the guy who basically describes Weber as some plug... :rolleyes:
A plug? Sorry...is that what you think people are saying if they don't describe him as OMFG The Mostest Dominant physical force with elite intangibles in the NHL...?

I said he arguably is the best shooter, and as good as they come to defend his zone.

And no. I didn't compare him to Scott Stevens. I compared him to Emelin, he isn't even more physically dominant as he was.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

as dominant as the others ? woah! talk about a unique player...

you know

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I more or less agree with this. I don't think anyone acquiring Weber would be getting a bum deal, unless they think he's supposed to carry their defence. Cut his minutes down a bit, put him with an excellent PMD, and have him as just another option on the PP instead of the main focus. That would be a club that would consider him worth every penny.

I don't know it could be done (probably with the Habs eating David Savard's contract) but I think he would be perfect for Columbus. They got Jones so he doesn't have to be everything for their right side. Don't ask me the return I just see them as the right team for Weber.

He takes a team like Toronto very deep in the playoffs. If he was in Edmonton from the start of the year, they are a top team probably, even with that shotty goaltending.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
ELITE intengibles ??

seriously ??

:laugh:
Funny how the guys that ACTUALLY PLAY IN THE NHL and have played for team canada all view him this way......but a select few on HF BOARDS think otherwise because you know, they know more about the guy and what he actually brings having spent ZERO time with him on the ice, in the dressing room, at dinner, at social gatherings, at the olympics then the guys who did

........some of you here remind me of Gandolfini were he was actually starting to think he was an actual Mafioso because he portrayed one on the Sopranos

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Funny how the guys that ACTUALLY PLAY IN THE NHL and have played for team canada all view him this way......but a select few on HF BOARDS think otherwise because you know, they know more about the guy and what he actually brings having spent ZERO time with him on the ice, in the dressing room, at dinner, at social gatherings, at the olympics then the guys who did

........some of you here remind me of Gandolfini were he was actually starting to think he was an actual Mafioso because he portrayed one on the Sopranos
Jeez people still talking about international teams? Please explain why USA chose Abdelkader over Kessel.

Reactions: Peanut

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Sure, it exists. It doesn't mean that it changes much of anything. There are countless and countless examples of these amazing leaders playing on crap teams or losing. Leadership can, one time, out of many many many many other times, make a difference.
Weber was supposed to help Patches become a better Captain and lead this team. I mean, if you believe in fairy tales, I guess you bought into that crap, but whatever, say you give them the benefit of the doubt. Fine.
Weber comes in. What happens in year 2 of Max's leadership? Well we have to fire the coach to avoid yet another collapse as it has been clear for a few years now that the bozo behind the bench can't coach.
Okay. Byebye Therrien. Team rebounds a bit, and in the POs we go...Did we even score a goal in the PO? I can't remember...Great inspiring performance by our Captain. Man Mountain's elite intangibles were clearly in full effect. Truly inspiring.

Okay...On to this year. Wow. What a season we are having. :facepalm:

Time for you to grow up and stop believing in Santa, the Bunny and the Fairy.
Talent is just as important as that leadership......you really can't win one without the other.

What team in the NHL has won a cup on pure talent alone??

Why has Washington faultered year in, year out?
Why has Russia fallen short so many times even though their talent pool is supreme?? Geez, some tournaments they finish 7th and they have the most talent of all!!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Jeez people still talking about international teams? Please explain why USA chose Abdelkader over Kessel.
Why is Kessel doing so well now under a strong leadership core of Letang and Crosby but couldn't do jack shyt with the Leafs when he was the man? Seems to me his focus is back in the right place.......he went from not saluting the fans at centre ice and calling reporters idiots to now scoring goals and being affective.....leadership will do that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It was meant to prove how making the team isn't as big of a deal as you make it seem.
You pick the best players....Weber is one of them

There's also role playing, maybe Abdelkader suited a role on the 4th line that they thought Kessel couldn't.....just guessing.

Kessel is a much better player today then he was when he was with Toronto.....admit that

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Why is Kessel doing so well now under a strong leadership core of Letang and Crosby but couldn't do jack shyt with the Leafs when he was the man? Seems to me his focus is back in the right place.......he went from not saluting the fans at centre ice and calling reporters idiots to now scoring goals and being affective.....leadership will do that.
You know Kessel was a penguin before the world cup right? Kessel won a cup and had a conn smythe worthy performance and they chose Abdelkader over him.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You know Kessel was a penguin before the world cup right? Kessel won a cup and had a conn smythe worthy performance and they chose Abdelkader over him.
I was unaware.....then they must have their reasons, I don't think they'd purposely leave a player behind over I guy who they think is worse.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You pick the best players....Weber is one of them

There's also role playing, maybe Abdelkader suited a role on the 4th line that they thought Kessel couldn't.....just guessing.

Kessel is a much better player today then he was when he was with Toronto.....admit that
You pick the best players right? Who here was better than him? Abdelkader, Backes, Dubinsky, Palmieri, JVR, Pacioretty, Kane, Pavelski, Parise, Kesler, Wheeler, and Stepan? Why are you even talking about his tenure in Toronto, he was incredible for the Pens in his first year and was dominant in the playoffs.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I was unaware.....then they must have their reasons, I don't think they'd purposely leave a player behind over I guy who they think is worse.
What kind of potential reasons? Even if USA wanted big physical guys in their bottom 6, Kessel is still better than most of the skilled players in the top 6.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I obviou
What kind of potential reasons? Even if USA wanted big physical guys in their bottom 6, Kessel is still better than most of the skilled players in the top 6.
Why didn't they pick him then, why was he blackballed if he's so great??

I'm interested in fact, not an opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad