Player Discussion Shea Weber - [mod warning post #26)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada
The people in here spewing the Weber love are just ridiculous. Honestly I think none of them have any hockey IQ at all.

Weber is solid defensively and has a great slapper. Pointe finale. His cons are:

Lack of speed
No breakout pass ability
Very little offensive upside for his line mates other than his shot.
Lack of physicality
Leadership? What has changed since PK left? Team effort night to night varies greatly.

People are really going to quote his Yahoo pre-season ranking in a hockey pool as a way to support their conclusions?? C'mon man!

durojean

May 29, 2007
Very little offensive upside for his line mates other than his shot

I feel that is not true. I found that every D that played with him looked a lot better than with any other in the team.

It is actually a strong point for Weber that he as a positive effect on his partner.

case in point : Emelin last year and Mete when Weber was not injured.

Reactions: dralaf and Agalloch

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The people in here spewing the Weber love are just ridiculous. Honestly I think none of them have any hockey IQ at all.

Weber is solid defensively and has a great slapper. Pointe finale. His cons are:

Lack of speed
No breakout pass ability
Lack of physicality
Leadership? What has changed since PK left? Team effort night to night varies greatly.

People are really going to quote his Yahoo pre-season ranking in a hockey pool as a way to support their conclusions?? C'mon man!
This is what spaghetti barf looks like.......

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If the best offer comes from say, Arizona, then so be it. For me the issue isn’t about Weber wanting to be traded because I just don’t believe it to be something he is interested in, but rather why would we make a move that would cripple us for years considering what we gave up to get him. There are few D out there better than him and any return would be underwhelming. Questioning his skill set and his “decline” is misguided. All indications are that he will probably be effective late into his thirties.
Weber fetched Nashville Subban, so what exactly makes you think he would suddenly not fetch anything that good anymore? Especially considering you still believe there are few Dman better than him out there.
Your thinking isn't being consistent. If you think he still is one of the best Dman in the NHL today, then he should be worth quite a lot on the market. If you think that will deteriorate in a few years, well then, all the more to get rid of him today before his value drops. If you think he will keep being solid till late 30s, then his value be good. Not sure why the return would be underwhelming. It doesn't add up.

And the idea is if you are rebuilding, do it right. Move the valuable vets for younger players-prospects-picks, and rebuild. Simple.

pickfair

Jul 14, 2012
I feel that is not true. I found that every D that played with him looked a lot better than with any other in the team.

It is actually a strong point for Weber that he as a positive effect on his partner.

case in point : Emelin last year and Mete when Weber was not injured.

WEber only got out of his slump last year when Markov was paired with him. Josi made him look good in Nashville...

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Weber fetched Nashville Subban, so what exactly makes you think he would suddenly not fetch anything that good anymore? Especially considering you still believe there are few Dman better than him out there.
Your thinking isn't being consistent. If you think he still is one of the best Dman in the NHL today, then he should be worth quite a lot on the market. If you think that will deteriorate in a few years, well then, all the more to get rid of him today before his value drops. If you think he will keep being solid till late 30s, then his value be good. Not sure why the return would be underwhelming. It doesn't add up.

And the idea is if you are rebuilding, do it right. Move the valuable vets for younger players-prospects-picks, and rebuild. Simple.
I didn't say we wouldn't get anything good, I said underwhelming. Considering what we paid for him, the return for him will be compared to not only his worth but PK's as well. It's all moot because I see no scenario in which MB would want to trade him, nor be allowed to.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I didn't say we wouldn't get anything good, I said underwhelming. Considering what we paid for him, the return for him will be compared to not only his worth but PK's as well. It's all moot because I see no scenario in which MB would want to trade him, nor be allowed to.
Well we don't know really. I think we could get a great return for Weber. I would not expect a Norris winner in return, but I think we could get 2 blue chip prospects+ for him possibly, which would be great for a rebuild.
If Drouin got TB one blue chip prospect, I see no reason why Weber wouldn't fetch two guys.
Weber still has an excellent reputation, we should use that to our advantage.
But I agree, I don't think Bergevin would ever trade him.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
WEber only got out of his slump last year when Markov was paired with him. Josi made him look good in Nashville...

Josi-Weber was actually not a good top-pairing in Nashville. Weber's play seemed to drop off a hell of a lot once Suter left for some reason.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Lack of speed
No breakout pass ability
Lack of physicality

There's 2 kinds of opinions in this world: an opinion backed by cash, and one not. At least the guys on yahoo have wagers behind them, unlike posts like yours here on hfboards.

"Weber love"? He is an top notch defender and ++ power play weapon. If acknowledging that is just a "low IQ" fanboyism, well then I guess thanks for your great HF GM opinion.

Reactions: admiralcadillac

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Lack of speed
No breakout pass ability
Lack of physicality

Worst post I've seen in a while. Bigly.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017

Lack of speed
No breakout pass ability
Lack of physicality

You don’t have any hockey IQ apparently. Weber was 6th in Norris voting last year. So your criticism of him is exaggerated. If you don’t like the trade for personal reasons that’s fine, but to say Weber is bad is objectively false.

He’s still a top 10 defenseman in the league, top 15 at worst. Weber is the last of our problems. Our offense is the worst in the league, and no defenseman will make it better. Regardless of who our defence was, we had the same problems for the last 2 decades, an anemic offense.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
You don’t have any hockey IQ apparently. Weber was 6th in Norris voting last year. So your criticism of him is exaggerated. If you don’t like the trade for personal reasons that’s fine, but to say Weber is bad is objectively false.

He’s still a top 10 defenseman in the league, top 15 at worst. Weber is the last of our problems. Our offense is the worst in the league, and no defenseman will make it better. Regardless of who our defence was, we had the same problems for the last 2 decades, an anemic offense.

He would have probably finished lower than that if he didn't have those 18 points (8 goals) in 22 games at the start of the last season. Everybody was already giving him the Norris in October

Reactions: Peanut

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
He would have probably finished lower than that if he didn't have those 18 points (8 goals) in 22 games at the start of the last season. Everybody was already giving him the Norris in October

So what your saying is let’s ignore his strong start and 18 points in 22 games just to further an immature agenda, propagated by a minority of disgruntled PK fanboys, in order to disregard Weber as being a good defenseman.

Why bash Weber’s success and play? He didn’t ask for the trade. It’s not his fault. He probably didn’t even want to be traded. Nashville is a better team, and city to play for. Most elite players (who have the choice of where to play, usually have Montreal as one of their last destinations). Point the finger at the proper direction if you were unhappy about the trade.

pickfair

Jul 14, 2012
Weber is still a good dmam but imho I don't think he is an elite player anymore. Most of the Montreal Canadiens fans only knew him because of the Olympics, how many on here actually watched the Nashville Predators before this trade and for that matter how many do today after the trade? Fact is, he used to be an elite player and right now it's his past reputation that has clouded people's opinion of him. He is living off past glories, if you will, sort of like our Glorieux canadiens.

6th in the norris vote last year? Yeah right. I don't see it.
He got off to a fast start last year thankfully for him but you will remember he did go through a really rough patch and it's Markov that got him out of it.

I also don't don't think you have to bash a player to make another one look better. However if your opinion is that this was a bad trade then you have a right to say it .

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
There's 2 kinds of opinions in this world: an opinion backed by cash, and one not. At least the guys on yahoo have wagers behind them, unlike posts like yours here on hfboards.

"Weber love"? He is an top notch defender and ++ power play weapon. If acknowledging that is just a "low IQ" fanboyism, well then I guess thanks for your great HF GM opinion.

Montreal powerplays is doing a lot better without Weber on it. Stats are there to prove it. Its sad to say because we gave Subban for that guy but IMO Weber is pretty similar to Souray.

Plus all the leadership crap we heard about was just false. This guy aint no leader, this season is the proof

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Montreal powerplays is doing a lot better without Weber on it. Stats are there to prove it. Its sad to say because we gave Subban for that guy but IMO Weber is pretty similar to Souray.

Plus all the leadership crap we heard about was just false. This guy aint no leader, this season is the proof

How is it proof

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada
The posters in here that don't like my post are the ones that can't see the forest for the trees, and defend Weber as an elite #1 NHL d-man because Norris trophy votes, Olympic team appearances, reputation and Yahoo Fantasy rankings.

Get real people. I gave Weber props for what he is - defensively solid and a PP point shot weapon. Anyone who thinks he brings anything more to the table than those two things are simply blind.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I don't get the complaint that he's slow. Looking at him playing never left me with the impression that he was slow or behind the play. He's a big guy that skates well by big guy standards. :dunno:

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
So what your saying is let’s ignore his strong start and 18 points in 22 games just to further an immature agenda, propagated by a minority of disgruntled PK fanboys, in order to disregard Weber as being a good defenseman.

Why bash Weber’s success and play? He didn’t ask for the trade. It’s not his fault. He probably didn’t even want to be traded. Nashville is a better team, and city to play for. Most elite players (who have the choice of where to play, usually have Montreal as one of their last destinations). Point the finger at the proper direction if you were unhappy about the trade.

I'm not saying anything about the trade, especially in that post. Yet, you're right that I didn't like the trade. I felt the Habs might get some better years at first then Nashville would have the better of that trade the following years. You could say I hate the trade because it was a lateral move at best. We didn't get better.

Now though, what I've been saying is that Weber had a strong start last year like the team. Then he was playing for a 35points pace/season for the next 4-5 months and the team also plummeted. He also had somewhat a strong start this season until he was sidelined. Is he still elite? Is he still going to be considered top-10/15 next year when many young Ds are pushing up? I can't tell but what I can tell, though, the team is almost as good or even better (at least on the PP) without him. I also see that he's getting burned by speedy forwards a lot yet people were saying that he was tough to play against. I do feel like he's slowing down but he still has that lethal shot and that shot should be effective for a few more years. He can still be an effective dman but I don't know for how long. I don't believe he'll play until 40 (not considering his contract)

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
The posters in here that don't like my post are the ones that can't see the forest for the trees, and defend Weber as an elite #1 NHL d-man because Norris trophy votes, Olympic team appearances, reputation and Yahoo Fantasy rankings.

Get real people. I gave Weber props for what he is - defensively solid and a PP point shot weapon. Anyone who thinks he brings anything more to the table than those two things are simply blind.

He's also a good blue line partner for Dahlin!

For a few years...

That's something....right?

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
How is it proof

Well from my standpoint, I just dont see it. I see a team with a lack of leadership actually. The way they crumble even with Price in the net its pretty telling. The guy never smile, never do anything for montreal. When the season is over he rushes back to BC. He doesnt protect his teamate on the ice. He seems like a pretty selfish player. Anywah at this point its pretty clear we got screwed big time in this trade. In the hockey department and performance on ice plus all the others stuff PK was doing for the city. Bergevin should be jailed for that one. Stealing so many smiles from sick kids, what a bastard

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

You're under selling him. "Good point shot"? He's got the best point shot in hockey, and one of the greatest point shots of all-time.
"Defensively solid"? He's one of the best defensive d-men in hockey. He also happens to be one of the most physically dominant players in the game today. All that, with elite intangibles as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad