Value of: Shayne GOSTISBEHERE

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Fair. Why is his name involved in trade chatter? I'm curious to know where this started? I know why the Habs fan base have Drouin in trade chatter so you tell me why Gost's name keeps popping up?
I guess you'd have to ask the OP. I know there are Flyer fans who want to get rid of him but I'm not sure why.

I think Provorov, Sanheim and Myers will eventually eclipse his value to the team, so he might be expendable to some. But as a PPQB and offensive threat he can be a valuable piece on a competitive Flyer team for the next few years. He really has a unique game-breaking creativity and a fantastic contract given his production.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
He is overrated though in terms of being a complete top 4 defenseman. He has a lot of offensive skills and his skating is very very good but his play in his own end is average at best. Teams will have concerns with how he actually plays D and I suspect this is the reason why the Flyers would trade him in the 1st place.

He has lots of value, just not as much as some may think.
Winner winner chicken dinner

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Ok so let me get this straight, PHI fans do not want any top 6 forward (I did not say elite), no top prospects, no picks for a top 4 LHD.
From what they describe they have a perfect contending team when they finished 37-37-8 (despite Hart saving part of their season), let us see next year if they are right or not...
But I believe that looking at +/- stats it is clear they need better defensive defensemen, better defensive and offensive forwards. Once again, I may be wrong but logically I would say, do not trade Gost if you want to contend now, but trade it for futures if you do not (and I am not saying MTL should be the landing spot, only that the trade may be a good fit)
In any case, I think signing Hayes as a UFA is an indication PHI may be willing to contend now but I fear the contract may be overvalued by a lot !

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Flyers are about a year late trading Ghostisbehere. This time last year his value would be through the roof, now while I am guessing he still get some positive rub to his 65 point season his value is knocked down by a peg or 2.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Then we aren’t interested in it.

Better or not. He doesn’t fit the window

Digging waaaaaaaaay back into this thread, but you know how people on here always say “if [GM] does this he should be fired!”?

Well, if a GM could nab Subban for Ghost+2nd+prospect and he didn’t do that, he should be fired.

What is the window? The franchise seems to think it starts now. It brought up its ace future goalie. It signed on a coach who has led teams to 100+ points in 9 of his last 11 seasons (2013 pro-rated). It has a franchise player just a tick over 30, a few other fantastic veteran forwards, a ton of great F prospects to slowly blend into the lineup, and a very promising D group-though with no changes, they’d be icing the youngest defense in the league next year.

I would gladly swap Ghost and some small futures for a Subban. Nashville probably wouldn’t.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Digging waaaaaaaaay back into this thread, but you know how people on here always say “if [GM] does this he should be fired!”?

Well, if a GM could nab Subban for Ghost+2nd+prospect and he didn’t do that, he should be fired.

What is the window? The franchise seems to think it starts now. It brought up its ace future goalie. It signed on a coach who has led teams to 100+ points in 9 of his last 11 seasons (2013 pro-rated). It has a franchise player just a tick over 30, a few other fantastic veteran forwards, a ton of great F prospects to slowly blend into the lineup, and a very promising D group-though with no changes, they’d be icing the youngest defense in the league next year.

I would gladly swap Ghost and some small futures for a Subban. Nashville probably wouldn’t.

From the sounds of things, nashville would do that deal easily. Probably without even adding the second.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Ok so let me get this straight, PHI fans do not want any top 6 forward (I did not say elite), no top prospects, no picks for a top 4 LHD.
From what they describe they have a perfect contending team when they finished 37-37-8 (despite Hart saving part of their season), let us see next year if they are right or not...
But I believe that looking at +/- stats it is clear they need better defensive defensemen, better defensive and offensive forwards. Once again, I may be wrong but logically I would say, do not trade Gost if you want to contend now, but trade it for futures if you do not (and I am not saying MTL should be the landing spot, only that the trade may be a good fit)
In any case, I think signing Hayes as a UFA is an indication PHI may be willing to contend now but I fear the contract may be overvalued by a lot !
I mean it’s not perfect...

From the get go it has been abundantly clear that the flyers were building from the net out.

Top goalie of the future: check

Young d core; provorov and sanheim, ghost and myers as a top four

Forwards; a good mix of vets and talented youth coming up including not necessarily blue chips, but A level players in Patrick, frost and farabee.

If ghost was older, there maybe some viability to trading him for futures. His age fits very nicely with out perceived window of contention. The flyers are probably another year away from making noise—by virtue of hart alone vs the mess in goal they’ve had, they should be a playoff team from this point forward with even low levels of development of their young roster players.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

That is correct. If Philly is moving their 'top 4 lhd' its to address a top 4 rhd situation - which has been pretty clearly spelled out this whole thread.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
From the sounds of things, nashville would do that deal easily. Probably without even adding the second.

Nah, Subban still has tremendous value. If the Preds didn't have an abundance of top-end defenders his name wouldn't be bubbling up, they just have enough great defensemen and need to add up front/account for one of the somehow-even-better defensemen needing a substantial raise soon. Subban is just the most expensive of them, by far.

Not sure Ghost gets them too turned on. They're trading a defenseman from a position of strength, clearing only $4.5m in cap space, and not really getting exciting futures to work with if it's a B prospect and a 2nd. It seems to not really do enough for them on any front. Perhaps Ghost and the 11th (which I would do in a blink) might raise an eyebrow, but I don't see a workable trade there really.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'm sure it's been a popular theme but Kadri for him makes a lot of sense. They need RD and he could replace Gardiner's offense. Kadri fits the flyers mold of a player perfectly.
The Flyers are not like that anymore.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Nah, Subban still has tremendous value. If the Preds didn't have an abundance of top-end defenders his name wouldn't be bubbling up, they just have enough great defensemen and need to add up front/account for one of the somehow-even-better defensemen needing a substantial raise soon. Subban is just the most expensive of them, by far.

Not sure Ghost gets them too turned on. They're trading a defenseman from a position of strength, clearing only $4.5m in cap space, and not really getting exciting futures to work with if it's a B prospect and a 2nd. It seems to not really do enough for them on any front. Perhaps Ghost and the 11th (which I would do in a blink) might raise an eyebrow, but I don't see a workable trade there really.
Subban is terrific but his contract is pretty crazy. Could Nashville retain on him? He'd have plenty of trade value at $4.5m. I'd think.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
That is correct. If Philly is moving their 'top 4 lhd' its to address a top 4 rhd situation - which has been pretty clearly spelled out this whole thread.
Once again, all depends whom you sign as UFAs, if you manage to get Erik Karlsson or Tyler Myers, you will be looking for forward, if you sign Duchene, Panarin... you will be looking for D men ;)

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Subban is terrific but his contract is pretty crazy. Could Nashville retain on him? He'd have plenty of trade value at $4.5m. I'd think.

He has plenty of trade value at $9 million, too. No, Nashville isn't going to retain on him, that defeats the whole purpose. At that point you keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad