Speculation: Shattenkirk will get 7-8 million as a ufa?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He'll get paid and rightfully so. He's decent 5 on 5 and lethal on the PP. One of the better PPQBs in the league. That's the main area where the Blues will miss him. Petro and Parayko are perfectly fine as a top 4 RHD combo, but he's a big reason our PP has been good the past few years.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I can totally see 7/7.
49 million, the bulk payable up front in the event of a work stoppage. Next CBA.

7/7 is very plausible and I think is very close to what he'll get. I don't see him getting over $7M though.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He is exactly what the Devils need. If he hits the market, I have no doubts that Shero would back up the brinks truck for him....the question becomes would he have interest in playing in NJ

the Devils have so much cap space that overpaying him really makes no difference. They could sign two $7 million/year players this offseason and still have plenty of space.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers would offer him 7.

I think that train has already left though. I recall this was rumoured in the summer, that St.Louis was selling him as a sign-and-trade in order to get max value for him, but Shattenkirk would not sign an extension if he was going to Edm because he wants to go east. But who knows if this is true?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oilers would offer him 7.

I think that train has already left though. I recall this was rumoured in the summer, that St.Louis was selling him as a sign-and-trade in order to get max value for him, but Shattenkirk would not sign an extension if he was going to Edm because he wants to go east. But who knows if this is true?

He was open to Arizona in the summer, and there is talk now that he is interested in Edmonton, now that they are performing well.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Depends on how deadset he is on joining the Rangers.

I can't imagine that they can afford to pay Shatty 7M+...

This. I get that the Rangers have an inside advantage on getting him, but without moving a major salary for peanuts I dont see how they can possibly afford him. Not with so many RFAs due in the next two years. Ship out Nash, maybe? Obviously the best move would be to dump Girardi or Staal but good luck with that.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
As ZBC said, Devils will likely have a blank check for Shattenkirk right now.

They could sign him to a hefty deal and not have to worry about it given that all their core players are signed to very reasonable deals long-term AND none of our young kids look like they will be making big money any time soon. At the very least, they won't be making big money until after Cammalleri/Greene/Zajac come off the books.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This. I get that the Rangers have an inside advantage on getting him, but without moving a major salary for peanuts I dont see how they can possibly afford him. Not with so many RFAs due in the next two years. Ship out Nash, maybe? Obviously the best move would be to dump Girardi or Staal but good luck with that.

If he isn't traded (it would be a miracle if he was) Girardi is almost certain to be bought out after this season and with the expansion draft being over Nash will likely be traded.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Shatty wants to bump his salary up even more, being open to a trade with the Oilers would help. I can see him racking up a lot of points.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
He will get 7x7 no problem on the open market, Blues would be crazy to give him that with such large holes at other positions.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
If Shatty wants to bump his salary up even more, being open to a trade with the Oilers would help. I can see him racking up a lot of points.

If he ends up going to the Oilers now after refusing in the offseason and costing us Hall I will be livid

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He could be the missing piece for the Oilers. If they don't advance far in the playoffs this year I can see the Oilers offering him a 7 yr. contract at 7 million per.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He refused to an extention in Edmonton which nixed the Hall deal. He can't refuse to go. Just for clarification. Iirc Edmonton would have still done the deal but Stl would have had to include a major piece.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
He is exactly what the Devils need. If he hits the market, I have no doubts that Shero would back up the brinks truck for him....the question becomes would he have interest in playing in NJ

the Devils have so much cap space that overpaying him really makes no difference. They could sign two $7 million/year players this offseason and still have plenty of space.

Considering many Rangers' fans already have him slotted as a Ranger ("Why trade for him when we will sign him in UFA?"), it would be ironic if he ends up with the Devils.

In any case, Shatty needs to move on to a new team b/c the Blues have zero reason to extend him at 6-7 million when they need to pay Parayko.

Here's hoping he is happy with his new team...I hope it is the Devils or Bruins.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad