Confirmed with Link: Shattenkirk and Copley for 2017 1st, 2019 Cond' 2nd, Sanford and Malone

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Nisky / Shatt
Alzner / Carlson
Orpik / Orlov

?

These the pairings we reck?
Eh, I think one of these two:

Alzner - Carlson
Orlov - Niskanen
Orpik - Shattenkirk

Or

Alzner - Shattenkirk
Orlov - Niskanen
Orpik - Carlson

Either way I don't think we have a first, second, third pairing at all anymore.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Can he play PK? Even if we don't need to. But who knows if one of the 4 others D are in the penalty box.

he doesn't pk any more than Orlov does.

by playoffs I think we will see.

Alzner/Carlson v the opposing top line.
Orlov/Niskanen
Orpik/Shattenkirk

PP1 Shattenkirk
PP2 Carlson

PK1 Alzner/Carlson
PK2 Orpik/Niskanen

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They (Ovi and Shattenkirk) have 21 games to create a chemistry on PP.

I think you might find that the more important chemistry will be between Backstrom and Johansson and Shattenkirk. There is a whole lot more puck movement and position movement and reading involved in those 3 players than just the one time pass to Ov.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Your team on paper is just absolutely stacked now. So ridiculous :laugh:. That blue-line though :bow: !!!

Hopefully this is the year where Ovi gets to smile at the end.

I'm no Caps fan but boy was it painful to see Ovi pull that face at the end of the series against Pittsburgh last year. Oshie and Shattenkirk reunited is also a nice little story line ;).

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
In light of a certain football team executive's propensity for names, I move that we refer to him as "Shattenkurt"

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
How's Shatty's skating? Better than Orpik presumably but not as good as Schmidt? Q is it closer to Orpik or Schmidt? Will there be times/opponents when need for skating makes Shatty/Schmidt more sensible than Shatty/Orpik

Nice problems to have. Pens must be despondent

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Few NHL players can skate like Schmidt. That's not a fair comparison. He is mobile. Niskanen to Orlov range.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Thx - should be good enough
At ES he's like our #5. At ES, he would be Pens #1. Its huge they didn't get him

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
How's Shatty's skating? Better than Orpik presumably but not as good as Schmidt? Q is it closer to Orpik or Schmidt? Will there be times/opponents when need for skating makes Shatty/Schmidt more sensible than Shatty/Orpik

Nice problems to have. Pens must be despondent

He's basically Mike Green in Mike Green's prime, from what I've read

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Eh, I think one of these two:

Alzner - Carlson
Orlov - Niskanen
Orpik - Shattenkirk

Or

Alzner - Shattenkirk
Orlov - Niskanen
Orpik - Carlson

Either way I don't think we have a first, second, third pairing at all anymore.

You'd be disappointed if you traded for a star D man and gave him 15 mins in the 3rd pairing. I guess we're in a situation where we don't have 'that guy' in the D that slams 25+ min games in day in day out

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He's basically Mike Green in Mike Green's prime, from what I've read

Are people seriously forgetting how good Mike Green was in his prime? He was Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns-level good. 30G and 70P good. He should have won a Norris.

Shattenkirk is good, but he's not Mike Green in his prime.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You'd be disappointed if you traded for a star D man and gave him 15 mins in the 3rd pairing. I guess we're in a situation where we don't have 'that guy' in the D that slams 25+ min games in day in day out

In St Louis Shattenkirk was 4th on D in TOI and 19ish minutes. He played 16ish minutes at even strength. That falls between what Alzner and Orpik play now. I am thinking he is going to ease the minutes on Niskanen by taking his PP minutes.

I expect his toi to be similar to his STL toi. the Caps 3rd pair will play more than a typical 3rd pair come playoffs. He will play more when they are behind and less when they are ahead. Much like Orlov does now

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Are people seriously forgetting how good Mike Green was in his prime? He was Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns-level good. 30G and 70P good. He should have won a Norris.

Shattenkirk is good, but he's not Mike Green in his prime.
You're right. I mispoke. Shattenkirk can play defense, so he's better than Mike Green.

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
So the question is, are the Caps done or do we see another move in the next 6 hours?

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Honestly the best part of this deal is not seeing him in a Pens jersey in the 2nd round. Second best part is probably not seeing him in a Rangers jersey in the 3rd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad