Confirmed with Link: Shattenkirk and Copley for 2017 1st, 2019 Cond' 2nd, Sanford and Malone

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Happens to the best of us. Whenever I post from mobile, half of my negative words (can't isn't etc) get autocorrected to their positive counter part (can is etc), completely swapping the meaning of my post.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Late to the party, but what a party it is. :handclap: GMBM has been on fire since day 1. It's all about now... but I'm still fairly optimistic about next year. We can keep a couple FAs is we get creative.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Seeing how salty Pens, Rags and other fans in the East are, GMBM pulled off the perfect trade. It's an arms race, and we grabbed the best weapon available this time.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Late to the party, but what a party it is. :handclap: GMBM has been on fire since day 1. It's all about now... but I'm still fairly optimistic about next year. We can keep a couple FAs is we get creative.

Looking forward to the Alzner vs Shattenkirk debates. I haven't watched Shattenkirk very closely this year but I considered him a top 15 dman in the NHL. If he fits, I know which way I'm leaning.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Looking forward to the Alzner vs Shattenkirk debates. I haven't watched Shattenkirk very closely this year but I considered him a top 15 dman in the NHL. If he fits, I know which way I'm leaning.

Yeah, although... the Caps already have 3 offensively significant D men -- Niskanen, Carlson, Orlov -- one for each pairing. Long term, not sure if it makes sense to aim for more, since those guys tend to be more expensive. If you could re-sign Alzner relatively cheaply, maybe Shattenkirk is more of a competition for Carlson? Sign Shattenkirk, trade Carlson... profit. Just thoughts out loud.

Anyway, probably a small chance to actually sign Sha-k -- the Rangers thing, expensive, and just the sheer number of moving pieces to take care of.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Kypreos is saying they should keep Shattenkirk and trade Carlson. Interesting thought.

If the Shattenkirk fit is right it makes a ton of sense. I think Shattenkirk is a little better but both are likely to cost about the same as UFAs, and Carlson is likely to get you some really good assets in return this offseason whereas losing Shattenkirk as a UFA gets you nothing.

The problem of course is the salary cap and his potential to be courted by teams like the Rangers and Bruins, but if they can also move Orpik they could fit Shattenkirk in.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

They apparently never asked for vrana/bowey

Or then that part got shut down early in the day 1. It's silly to suggest that Blues would have turned down Vrana or Bowey to insist on Sanford. And this is coming from someone that's higher on Sanford than most. He has a chance to be Backes -lite for the Blues (not peak Backes though), and he's a really good add to their Center -group.

Best part of this is still the fact that we killed the TSN Deadline day show.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Shattenkirk would have to absolutely kill it offensively to warrant keeping him over Carlson and he'd also need to take a discount. He's not as versatile as Carlson, who has had far heavier PK usage as well as primarily shutdown duty. He would have to really excel offensively and in his hockey IQ generally to force that sort of decision. Combine that with likely losing Alzner and I doubt it's the blueline dynamic they're likely to prefer (that's in addition to a higher AAV next season).

It would be one thing if one of the three RD moves over to the left side and that's maybe the most interesting aspect of this. That needs to be experimented with at some point during the regular season. If they get down I'd hope they'd run with it, esp. when both 27/44 are playing.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I guess my question is, how good can Shattenkirk be with help from Reirden and Trotz?
Im guessing just as good if not better than he has been...which is fairly good.

Me? I don't want to lose Alzner. So if they can do whatever they need to do to re-sign him and keep either Shattenkirk or Carlson...I'm all for it.

Losing Alzner is going to suck if it happens.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
yea, you can make a case that both alzner and orpik could be gone next season. replacing Carlson with Shattenkirk would be a twabby wet dream, but I am not sure who they have left to kill penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->