Confirmed with Link: Sharks vs. Kings - February 21st - Levi's Stadium

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
Oh yeah the light rail looks closer than most of the lots and is way cheaper. I guess I'll just get there really early so I have time to slowly hobble to my seat.

It might be too late, but see if you can get a temporary handicapped placard when you get your X-Ray (or even just from like an urgent care clinic). That will certainly get you a close spot at The Tank, I bet it would for Levi's today as well.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
It might be too late, but see if you can get a temporary handicapped placard when you get your X-Ray (or even just from like an urgent care clinic). That will certainly get you a close spot at The Tank, I bet it would for Levi's today as well.

Yep, the handicap parking is in the closest row in red lot 1.

Iron Chef

Sep 24, 2011
Pretty sure we can bring food and water into the stadium, as long as it fit's in the gallon plastic bags?

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Pretty sure we can bring food and water into the stadium, as long as it fit's in the gallon plastic bags?

http://www.levisstadium.com/nhl-stadium-series-a-z-guide/
Food may be brought into Levi’s® Stadium as long as it is placed in clear plastic wrappings or bags that comply with the bag policy. Fruit must be cut into smaller pieces. Only non-alcoholic beverages contained in sealed plastic bottles may be brought into Levi’s® Stadium. Thermos type containers may be brought into the stadium, but the contents are subject to inspection.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
10430871_10205598323307779_5324057846253839400_n.jpg

Iron Chef

Sep 24, 2011
Here's my notes on the game/experience:

TL;DR - Watching a game at the Tank is much better than an outdoor game

1) Street rally was packed! So much teal.

2) Really awesome and surreal to see so many people wearing teal jerseys. Everyone was so excited. Although, just like my luck at the Tank, I always end up sitting next to really serious people who don't cheer and just sit there.

3) Someone made a comment earlier in the thread that the Sharks didn't take their practice seriously and were worried that it would affect them. It did. You could tell they weren't confident and didn't know how to work with the outdoor ice conditions. Kings looked better.

4) Light rail was a nightmare after the game. It was so disorganized. People got upset and started pushing. Thankfully, my wife had the brilliant idea to actually park in Mountain View at my office instead of taking the Santa Teresa line which I heard took 2+ hours for people to get home. We ended up getting home in 45 minutes door to door.

5) Met some really nice Kings fans and some really bad ones. I was ready to punch a few because their chirps were getting over the line. My best chirp of the night was when a Kings fan got up and starting holding up 2 fingers (for 2 cups) and I just yelled out "oh! is that how many years you've been a Kings fan?" He sat down quietly :)

6) I really love that Levi's let you bring your own food and drinks. We grabbed sandwiches before the game and chowed down at our seats. Here are some sample prices for concessions: 2 shots of espresso - $6.50, Asian steamed pork bun $10, coors light $12.25.

7) SAP really needs to let people tailgate for weekend games. It looked like everyone doing it had such an amazing time. They could section off part of the parking lot and then just charge a premium. People would pay it.

8) Next time I go to a night game at Levi's, I'm bundling up. You literally needed a beanie, gloves, and long underwear to stay warm. It really affected my ability to enjoy the game.

9) The intermission entertainment would have actually been fine if they had the volume calibrated properly. It was incredibly loud to the point where my wife and I had to just stick our fingers in our ears because it was literally painful to our ears. Melissa Etheridge, smh.

10) The use of fireworks for in-game entertainment didn't work out. It left a haze above the ice which really never went away because of how often they used the fireworks.

All in all, an experience I'll never forget, but I can't wait to go back to the Tank. PS - I'll get over this loss if the Kings end up missing the playoffs.

vatali

Life Long Slacker
May 27, 2005
Middle of nowhere
I had an incredible time. Other than Melissa being completely out of her element and the ice being sooooo slow it was one of the best events I've ever been part of. Hats off to LS for helping this happen

Really nice to meet some of you as well

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I posted a longer version of my experience in the other thread, but just to keep things short, it was a great time other than Etheridge and the light rail after the game. It is something I will never forget.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Leaving the parking lot is a mess though.

We just waited a solid hour before the lot actually mostly cleared out. There was only about a 5 minute difference between the lot clearing of being backed up and the cops coming around telling you if you aren't out in 15 minutes you're getting fined:laugh:

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
45 minutes to home?

Geez. Took me 45 minutes to get on a train (to MV). And another 45 minutes to ride/walk home. (Home by 11:30)

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
I didn't have problems with public transit at all. Left the stadium and saw there were 4 gates for the different locations. Mountain View had very few so I was able to walk right past the horde of people and get onto one of the first light rail trains out. Got to MV in about 30-40 min, waited about 5 min for a Caltrain and got to Redwood City about 30 min later. Was home by 11:30.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I had an incredible time. Other than Melissa being completely out of her element and the ice being sooooo slow it was one of the best events I've ever been part of. Hats off to LS for helping this happen

Really nice to meet some of you as well

Vitali, hope you get home safely. Enjoyed your hockey talk. Don't be a stranger!! Additional thanks to LS for giving us this night to remember, I'll never forget Ms. Etheridge.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
Had a good time at the game. My wife didn't dress warmly enough though so she was pretty cold. Sat next to a couple of people who were sort of like a louder, drunker version of how negative it can get here sometimes. The two rows in front of me were full of kings fans and I got winded walking to my seat(I should probably work on that).

Getting home was a mess, I was originally going to take light rail but the person driving us just said they'll take us to the stadium. We tried to meet at the same place but event road closures made a mess of that so we tried to walk out of the way(by then they gave up and parked at Carl's Jr). We went through about an hour of walking and climbing muddy hills to get to the person who was picking us up.

When did they paint Top Gun red?

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Here's a few pics I took while wandering around before the game, click on them for full resolution

Arrival and first view of the ice

Side view while wandering around

From my seat

PredragD

May 5, 2011
It was my third outdoor game and would rank it in the middle, behind last year's heritage classic and ahead of the one at Chavez Ravine. The football stadium definitely works better than a baseball diamond, but a 70,000 stadium is just too gargantuan for me.

I took the honest approach and used VTA light rail from Moffett to Great America rather than my usual plan to park in a lightly patrolled reasonable residential neighborhood near the venue.

South Bay/Peninsula folk do not know how to use urban public transportation. Folks from NYC or even SF would laugh at how non-aggressive the folks were boarding the light rail. Many cars were assumed to be full when they definitely could have squeezed dozens of more folks in per car. Also the barricades were pretty weak and any decent athlete could sneak onto the train without payment.

vatali

Life Long Slacker
May 27, 2005
Middle of nowhere
Vitali, hope you get home safely. Enjoyed your hockey talk. Don't be a stranger!! Additional thanks to LS for giving us this night to remember, I'll never forget Ms. Etheridge.

Got home at midnight last night to -12 with 3 inches of snow coming up this week. Can I have San jose back????

sharksohnoes!

whatisdeadmayneverdie
Mar 9, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
Had an awesome time at the game. All in all, it was 100% worth flying out for. We had great seats with a great view. Fog brought the house down. Before the game, we kind of stumbled on the Bud Light Patio which was not crowded at all. You could walk right up and buy a beer no problem. Probably because they didn't really advertise that area at all. It's all the way at the top, at the end line and has a great view of the whole place.

We REALLY lucked out with the weather. It was gorgeous.

The nightmare/worst decision ever was riding VTA. It took us TWO HOURS to get on a Winchester bound train after the game. Then another hour to get to Campbell. Three hours to get home is completely unacceptable. This is a shot of people trying to get to the parking lot/VTA Trains:

NNi28sV.jpg

I know it will never happen, but an outdoor game at the new Quakes stadium would be incredible. I took a tour this weekend and the stadium is just so sick. It is going to be the best stadium/game day experience in the entire Bay Area IMHO.

Like Vatali, I took a redeye back to the East Coast last night. Went from riding the motorcycle around Santa Cruz in 70 weather 24 hours ago, to fighting through thousands of commuters in the 17 degree New York City train system. Miss it already.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
I didn't have problems with public transit at all. Left the stadium and saw there were 4 gates for the different locations. Mountain View had very few so I was able to walk right past the horde of people and get onto one of the first light rail trains out. Got to MV in about 30-40 min, waited about 5 min for a Caltrain and got to Redwood City about 30 min later. Was home by 11:30.

You must have gotten out quick. When I got up to the four gates the Mountain View line was still empty, but there was a huge crowd before the fare check area that took forever to get through. They clearly should have had separate fare checks for the four different routes, and lined one up from the other direction or something.. I actually was wondering if it would make sense for them to build a second platform further along the southbound line, so two of the lines can load up on one platform and the others on the other platform. Or instead of using the Great America station, use the Old Ironsides station for Mtn View trains and use the Lick Mill (or still GA) stop for the other directions, they're not much further away. Oh well.

People actually went to that game? :sarcasm:

Haha, not many, but a few of us (no one from Maryland).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad