GDT: Sharks @ Vancouver 7PM: Martin In; Donskoi, Ryan Out

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
It shows that the organization will probably be willing to invest assets in him, given that the coaching staff has plenty of trust in him.

In Campbell's case, he didn't have any interest in re-signing here.

If memory serves, Campbell intimated an interest in being east rather early. Kane hasn't and his home town is in this time zone. Let's give him a taste of the playoffs...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It shows that the organization will probably be willing to invest assets in him, given that the coaching staff has plenty of trust in him.

In Campbell's case, he didn't have any interest in re-signing here.

Like I said, the organization and the coaches did the same things for Campbell. I'm just saying that one doesn't have to do with the other.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
Seems like Kane likes us more than Campbell did.
Which means he’ll break our hearts even harder than that ginger freak ever did. Hell, he’ll probably want to be soooo far away from us he’ll be playing wing with Kovalchuk and sipping cocktails with the minxes on the shores of lake Baikal by next season. Traitor.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't see Couture as a power forward. It is but one explanation for the switch having been turned on.

Edit: By longer to develop I mean more NHL time before he caught on. Couture had a stub season and then got going. Meier took last season and half of this season before figuring it out.

Meier had a half season spent entirely in the bottom-6, which barely counts. He’s been great as of approximately game 25 of this season. I don’t see a significant difference. I don’t mean that Couture is a power forward, but rather that Meier isn’t taking any longer than a finesse forward like Couture did to develop.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Which means he’ll break our hearts even harder than that ginger freak ever did. Hell, he’ll probably want to be soooo far away from us he’ll be playing wing with Kovalchuk and sipping cocktails with the minxes on the shores of lake Baikal by next season. Traitor.

If we can't get Tavares, I could see us going after Kovalchuk in UFA. We were rumored to be after him this off season.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Unlike Campbell, I'm really not that invested if Kane walks or not. If Kane re-signs for a fair amount, great. He seems like a great fit and a great locker-room guy so far. If he doesn't re-sign, whatever. DW gave up practically nothing for him and now the Sharks keep their 1st.

Tavares is still #1 in my pipedream anyway.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Once Thornton leaves, Meier will be my favorite player for sure. He's just such a great player.

He scored 2 goals and 3 assists in his first 24 games.

In his last 47 games, he has 18 goals and 8 assists. No doubt in my mind that he's a 30 goal scorer in the future.

This was a great game from Meier. His 2nd goal was just a thing of beauty. To snipe it like that, with so much velocity, and to disguise it...beautiful.

If he doesn't re-sign, whatever. DW gave up practically nothing for him and now the Sharks keep their 1st.

Well, the Sharks gave up a 2nd-round pick, which is a non-trivial asset.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Meier had a half season spent entirely in the bottom-6, which barely counts. He’s been great as of approximately game 25 of this season. I don’t see a significant difference. I don’t mean that Couture is a power forward, but rather that Meier isn’t taking any longer than a finesse forward like Couture did to develop.

Couture had a 25 game stub season and the took it to the next level the next season whereas it has taken Meier closer to a full season/season and a half (depending on whether you count his time back in the AHL) during last season. IMO that is a long time for an NHL forward. Meier scoring at a replacement level/below replacement level in the bottom 6 counts.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
With Justin Braun and Timo Meier getting their 30th pts tonight, San Jose has the most 30 point players in the league right now with 12 (not including Kane). The next closest are Nashville, Tampa Bay, and Toronto with 10 each.

Not quite sure what to make of it.

Does it show a well balanced offense? 9 of the 12 players are forwards, which is a great sign of the forwards being versatile enough to play on different lines. Also, gives the team an opportunity to have 3 lines that can possibly be a threat every night.

Or, does it indicate inconsistent performances from the team's top scorers? At the moment Pavelski leads the team with 58 points, putting him tied for 43rd in the league.

Reactions: mooncalf

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This was a great game from Meier. His 2nd goal was just a thing of beauty. To snipe it like that, with so much velocity, and to disguise it...beautiful.

Well, the Sharks gave up a 2nd-round pick, which is a non-trivial asset.

Meier is just really really talented. He has 5 goals and 1 assist in 9 games since Kane was acquired. It makes sense - Meier got pushed down the lineup, where he is able to feast on easier competition. He was taking on top competition in his first full season.

Say what you want about Couture, but he was never the guy facing top comp at ES in his first full season. He was always with Heatley and Clowe and getting easier matchups. Meier lines up with Thornton and Pavelski, faces top competition, and has both the Joes looking better than they have since the WCF against the Blues. Meier lines up with Pavelski and Donskoi, faces top competition, and has Pavelski looking even better than he did before and has Pavelski looking like a legit NHL center again.

Having Meier, Kane, and Couture/Hertl down the left wings might be the thing that keeps this team competitive for a few seasons. That's not a strength that carries an otherwise mediocre team to a Stanley Cup, the way that having Malkin/Crosby/Kessel is for Pittsburgh, but it's still an amazing strength for a team.

Kane is 8th in the NHL in 5v5 ixGF, Meier 14th, and Hertl 17th. In 5v5 iHDCF, Meier is 3rd in the NHL, Kane 6th, and Hertl 22nd. These guys all have 20 goals this year and going forward I think you can expect at least 75 per season from them. They're also all beast possession players; Meier and Hertl are both above 54% xGF, Kane is 17th in the entire NHL in team relative xGF% (His HDCF% as a Shark is over 69%). I think that having Kane on the team really is an x-factor that adds more to the roster than we might realize.

Remember a while back when the Sharks were looking pretty good, and you said there might be some merit in the comparison of Carter to the Kings at the 2012 TDL and a Pacioretty/Kane/Hoffman type player to the Sharks at the 2018 TDL? That's kind of what is happening. Yes, all 7 of our wins with Kane have been against non-playoff teams, but there is something to be said for the effect that he has on our team, and it runs through the lineup.

Reactions: mooncalf

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Meier is just really really talented. He has 5 goals and 1 assist in 9 games since Kane was acquired. It makes sense - Meier got pushed down the lineup, where he is able to feast on easier competition. He was taking on top competition in his first full season.

Say what you want about Couture, but he was never the guy facing top comp at ES in his first full season. He was always with Heatley and Clowe and getting easier matchups. Meier lines up with Thornton and Pavelski, faces top competition, and has both the Joes looking better than they have since the WCF against the Blues. Meier lines up with Pavelski and Donskoi, faces top competition, and has Pavelski looking even better than he did before and has Pavelski looking like a legit NHL center again.

Having Meier, Kane, and Couture/Hertl down the left wings might be the thing that keeps this team competitive for a few seasons. That's not a strength that carries an otherwise mediocre team to a Stanley Cup, the way that having Malkin/Crosby/Kessel is for Pittsburgh, but it's still an amazing strength for a team.

Kane is 8th in the NHL in 5v5 ixGF, Meier 14th, and Hertl 17th. In 5v5 iHDCF, Meier is 3rd in the NHL, Kane 6th, and Hertl 22nd. These guys all have 20 goals this year and going forward I think you can expect at least 75 per season from them. They're also all beast possession players; Meier and Hertl are both above 54% xGF, Kane is 17th in the entire NHL in team relative xGF% (His HDCF% as a Shark is over 69%). I think that having Kane on the team really is an x-factor that adds more to the roster than we might realize.

Remember a while back when the Sharks were looking pretty good, and you said there might be some merit in the comparison of Carter to the Kings at the 2012 TDL and a Pacioretty/Kane/Hoffman type player to the Sharks at the 2018 TDL? That's kind of what is happening. Yes, all 7 of our wins with Kane have been against non-playoff teams, but there is something to be said for the effect that he has on our team, and it runs through the lineup.

75? Little overboard there imo.

I do see them as 50 point guys, though.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
75? Little overboard there imo.

I do see them as 50 point guys, though.

They've got 65 goals between the 3 of them right now, with another 10 games the 3 of them can probably reach 75 on the year, and next year, if Kane isn't on a terrible team, Hertl isn't snake bitten, and Meier can take the next step, I have no doubt they can all score at least 25 goals.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Karlsson has been replacement level this year and any of Ward or Hansen can fill his role on a consistent basis, so he isn't that much of a concern.

Vlasic on the other hand better be okay.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
They've got 65 goals between the 3 of them right now, with another 10 games the 3 of them can probably reach 75 on the year, and next year, if Kane isn't on a terrible team, Hertl isn't snake bitten, and Meier can take the next step, I have no doubt they can all score at least 25 goals.
I misunderstood lol. I thought you were saying they could hit 75 points a piece next year

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
EK9 is friends with Seto. EK has spent some time in San Jose over the years so I can see him taking enough of a discount to stay and still have the Sharks with enough to pay Tavares (5+ yrs) and Jumbo (1 yr).

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
sheldon-hyperventilating-big-bang-theory.gif

Lol

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Donskoi skating would be great news with a LBI, but he will probably need to be ready to participate in full contact practices before coming back from UBI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad