GDT: Sharks @ Vancouver 7PM: Martin In; Donskoi, Ryan Out

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Right but that considers his games from the start of the season. He's been playing a lot more lately. I was shocked specifically about his minutes tonight given the injuries to Vlasic and the fact that Martin was already injured.

DeMelo has only played more than 20 minutes once this year. He's been pretty consistently between 12-17 minutes.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
what did he say?
I don't think he actually knows anything, but it was just funny to see him adopt the no info policy mid-conversation. He said he didn't think it was in the face because he didn't see any blood. Speculated it might be collarbone before saying he doesn't know anything.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I can't believe Meier has 20 goals. He had 2 in the first 2 months and I was hoping he could hit 10. I think the Sharks have 12 or 13 players with double digit goals.

Reactions: Phu

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Meier finding a way to be 1st star in a game where he really struggled is a sign of his very very high potential.

Kane playing 23:08 with no other Sharks forward playing even 20 minutes tells me he's probably re-signing

I don't think it means anything towards his future here. Campbell played a ton when he was traded here and still walked.

He didn’t look great to me, but I only saw fifteen minutes of the game.

Side note, reporters need to stop asking young guys who played a half a season with Marleau about him. Pavelski, Thornton, Couture, sure. Anyone else, please stop.

When the questions gets set up to ask them about their ability to fill in for that spot vacated, I think it's plenty fair to ask them about it.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lot of milestones tonight

-Braun has 30 5v5 points this year lol
-Pavelski has 40 assists
-Hertl has 20 goals
-Meier has 20 goals

And then almost milestones

-Couture with 29 goals
-LaBanc with 38 points

Reactions: Phu

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I don't think it means anything towards his future here. Campbell played a ton when he was traded here and still walked.

cambell was a d-man though
still this game had the short bench so hard to read anything into it

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I can't believe Meier has 20 goals. He had 2 in the first 2 months and I was hoping he could hit 10. I think the Sharks have 12 or 13 players with double digit goals.

Once Thornton leaves, Meier will be my favorite player for sure. He's just such a great player.

He scored 2 goals and 3 assists in his first 24 games.

In his last 47 games, he has 18 goals and 8 assists. No doubt in my mind that he's a 30 goal scorer in the future.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I don't think he actually knows anything, but it was just funny to see him adopt the no info policy mid-conversation. He said he didn't think it was in the face because he didn't see any blood. Speculated it might be collarbone before saying he doesn't know anything.

Where were you watching? He didn't say collarbone on the Sharks feed.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

When the questions gets set up to ask them about their ability to fill in for that spot vacated, I think it's plenty fair to ask them about it.

It shows that management will undoubtedly commit to him. Playing 3 more minutes than any other forward shows a lot of trust in the player.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Campbell was traded from the east and wanted to be closer to family, different fact pattern.

Braun said Vlasic didn't lose any teeth, so there is that...

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Once Thornton leaves, Meier will be my favorite player for sure. He's just such a great player.

He scored 2 goals and 3 assists in his first 24 games.

In his last 47 games, he has 18 goals and 8 assists. No doubt in my mind that he's a 30 goal scorer in the future.

It has been suggested power forwards take longer to develop. Maybe there is something to that?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
What do you mean “longer to develop”? Meier is 21. Couture was 22 when he broke out.

I don't see Couture as a power forward. It is but one explanation for the switch having been turned on.

Edit: By longer to develop I mean more NHL time before he caught on. Couture had a stub season and then got going. Meier took last season and half of this season before figuring it out.

Last edited:

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
If Thornton does return I hope they have him center the 3rd line with Meier and Labanc as his linemates. Having Pavelski,Couture, and Thornton down the middle in the playoffs would give opposing teams fits.

Kane Pavelski Donskoi
Boedker Couture Hertl
Meier Thornton Labanc
Ward Tierney Hansen/Karlsson

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Timo is gonna be a dominant power forward some day. Maybe the best in the league but he doesn't have much competition in that regard. What other young player is out there playing a power game and succeeding? Not Nick Ritchie or Jake Virtanen that's for sure.

I guess Landeskog still exists.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It shows that management will undoubtedly commit to him. Playing 3 more minutes than any other forward shows a lot of trust in the player.

They did the same for Campbell when he was here. He played 25-28 minutes a night which is still a lot. It doesn't change the likelihood of re-signing him.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Timo is gonna be a dominant power forward some day. Maybe the best in the league but he doesn't have much competition in that regard. What other young player is out there playing a power game and succeeding? Not Nick Ritchie or Jake Virtanen that's for sure.

It just depends how you define the term. A lot of people will consider fighting a requirement for a true power forward.

In my opinion, Meier is already better then Evander Kane, but Kane is another legit power forward in the league.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
They did the same for Campbell when he was here. He played 25-28 minutes a night which is still a lot. It doesn't change the likelihood of re-signing him.

It shows that the organization will probably be willing to invest assets in him, given that the coaching staff has plenty of trust in him.

In Campbell's case, he didn't have any interest in re-signing here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->