Sharks Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Just a quick question, what do you guys think will happen with Marleau this summer? We were talking about the possibility of bringing him in to play as a 3rd line center on the Pens board, but we're not entirely sure what he's planning on doing after this year. Do you guys expect him to re-sign in San Jose?

re-signing is the most likely scenario but you never know.
he would be ridiculous on the pens (good ridiculous)

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I think consensus is that he most likely stays. Term and price could be a factor, so there is a possibility that he explores UFA. Most people seem to have him penciled in though.

If he leaves, I would expect a big market team. Specifically Toronto. He was considering New York at one point, but Boyles experience with AV seemed to sour him on the idea.

He does not want to be a 3c. Also wants at least an A.

I'd put it at: 85% SJS, 10% TOR, 5% LVK.

Add in he will want a full NMC whereever he goes. And probably a multi-year contract. I would also add Anaheim (if he wants to stay in CA), Ottawa (if he wants to play in Canada) and Tampa as potential places he could sign.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I think consensus is that he most likely stays. Term and price could be a factor, so there is a possibility that he explores UFA. Most people seem to have him penciled in though.

If he leaves, I would expect a big market team. Specifically Toronto. He was considering New York at one point, but Boyles experience with AV seemed to sour him on the idea.

From what we know of Patty's personality, why would you think he'd want to go to a big market team especially a media hotbed like Toronto. He seems more of a quiet lowkey guy. Also he doesn't seem like someone who would demand to have at least an A. When has he been an egotistical dude who demands letters on his jersey and attention.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
What about Thornton? Do you guys expect him to re-sign like Marleau, or do you guys expect him to explore the market?

I think they'll both re-sign and part of me wants them to retire as Sharks but I also want them to win the cup which they would have a better chance of doing in places like Pittsburgh. Marleau would be a better fit on the Pens with his speed and he'd look great on the wing there. Thornton on the other hand only plays center and I don't know if he'd want to play 3C even at this stage in his career.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It was simply a rumor that he considered New York at one point and it's entirely your own assumption that Boyle's experience soured him on it. There's no evidence to suggest he doesn't want to be a 3C. There's no evidence to suggest that he wants at least an A. Stop making things up. Is it possible he wants those things? Yes. Is it anywhere remotely close to a fact in the manner that you put it, hell no.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It was simply a rumor that he considered New York at one point and it's entirely your own assumption that Boyle's experience soured him on it. There's no evidence to suggest he doesn't want to be a 3C. There's no evidence to suggest that he wants at least an A. Stop making things up. Is it possible he wants those things? Yes. Is it anywhere remotely close to a fact in the manner that you put it, hell no.

Yeah. If marleau and thornton leave chasing after the cup. They will most likely take on any role asked of them to be able to fulfill that quest.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

It's been proven time and time again.

- Trade request is well documented.
- Someone else around here provided the Boyle thing. I forget who.
- Okay, no evidence on the A, I'll grant that. Him losing it though was part of what led to those trade requests though. So I would assume he wants one...
- There was significant drama about him not wanting to be 3c since DeBoer got here.

More importantly, someone is asking: hey, what do you THINK Marleau is up to? All I provided was what I THINK Marleau would consider when deciding to change teams based on existing narratives from this team. Irregardless of the level of proof, I am giving a best guess. Doing that accurately will require some level of inference. You are free to tell people what you think Marleau is gonna do. You really think he is going to go chase a cup?

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

- Okay, no evidence on the A, I'll grant that. Him losing it though was part of what led to those trade requests though. So I would assume he wants one...
- There was significant drama about him not wanting to be 3c since DeBoer got here.

More importantly, someone is asking: hey, what do you THINK Marleau is up to? All I provided was what I THINK Marleau would consider when deciding to change teams based on existing narratives from this team. Irregardless of the level of proof, I am giving a best guess. Doing that accurately will require some level of inference. You are free to tell people what you think Marleau is gonna do. You really think he is going to go chase a cup?

Where is this well documented request information?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The trade request RUMOR is well-documented. Nothing was actually proven.

Everything else you're saying simply has no merit or evidence behind it. There was no drama about him wanting to be 3C. You made that up. There was nothing even in the rumor of him wanting a trade that it had anything to do with the A. You made that up. And until shown otherwise, you made up the Boyle thing too.

And you're more than welcome to your opinion but your evidence for said opinion is based on some unreasonable assumptions and at this point made up pieces of evidence. That kind of thing ought to be pointed out to you lest you want to have your opinions based totally on things that are made up entirely. lol

Yeah, there's some level of inference on what he may do and what opinion you can have for that but you're going to an extreme doing it. Just thought you should know that.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
With the signing of Simek, you gotta think the Sharks are expecting to lose a dman in the expansion draft, and possibly 1-2 more in other moves. I wouldn't be surprised to see two of Schlemko, Braun and Dillon as well as Mueller and Demelo moved.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The trade request RUMOR is well-documented. Nothing was actually proven.

Everything else you're saying simply has no merit or evidence behind it. There was no drama about him wanting to be 3C. You made that up. There was nothing even in the rumor of him wanting a trade that it had anything to do with the A. You made that up. And until shown otherwise, you made up the Boyle thing too.

And you're more than welcome to your opinion but your evidence for said opinion is based on some unreasonable assumptions and at this point made up pieces of evidence. That kind of thing ought to be pointed out to you lest you want to have your opinions based totally on things that are made up entirely. lol

Yeah, there's some level of inference on what he may do and what opinion you can have for that but you're going to an extreme doing it. Just thought you should know that.

Yea basically everything but the rumored trade requests are pretty out of nowhere.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Yea basically everything but the rumored trade requests are pretty out of nowhere.

There were some quotes last season about Marleau being a little disappointed he didn't get a letter and later about the role Deboer was putting him in, but no major kerfuffle or anything. Nothing even close to indicating or suggesting that he'll demand a letter or a top-6 spot on a new team.

No clue where the Maple Leafs speculation is coming from either. Babcock yeah, but that's one of the last teams I'm expecting him to consider.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There were some quotes last season about Marleau being a little disappointed he didn't get a letter and later about the role Deboer was putting him in, but no major kerfuffle or anything. Nothing even close to indicating or suggesting that he'll demand a letter or a top-6 spot on a new team.

No clue where the Maple Leafs speculation is coming from either. Babcock yeah, but that's one of the last teams I'm expecting him to consider.

I would think the only motivating factor for leaving is winning the Cup. I'm sure he's willing to give this franchise the benefit of the doubt when it comes to an opportunity at winning but if they don't want him anymore or they're going into a rebuild, the only places I think he'd consider are Cup contenders. Pittsburgh is an obvious one. Whoever wins this year if it isn't Pittsburgh may be one. Maybe Chicago. I don't think he'd take a chance going elsewhere even though teams like Toronto and Edmonton may be closing in on that level of competition with what they have.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Starting to think we should go after Tyler Johnson.

Has had a disappointing year so his value is low, is going to be cost controlled at 4-4.5 million likely, but Tampa is struggling with numbers for Vegas and cap space with Palat/Drouin/Johnson all needing raises and only having 1 goalie and 4 D signed.

Tampa needs help on D badly as well.

What's a good offer do you guys think?

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

Has had a disappointing year so his value is low, is going to be cost controlled at 4-4.5 million likely, but Tampa is struggling with numbers for Vegas and cap space with Palat/Drouin/Johnson all needing raises and only having 1 goalie and 4 D signed.

You think Braun+ would do, or is that low-balling them a bit? I love Johnson.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

If we're going after a guy on the Lightning I'd prefer Drouin. However, I would not be upset with Johnson.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
If we're going after a guy on the Lightning I'd prefer Drouin. However, I would not be upset with Johnson.

I'd prefer Drouin too, but that likely costs us Vlasic.

Johnson seems to be the fan choice to move to improve on D.

If we could get it done for Braun+ that would be awesome. Plus would have to be significant probably.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd prefer Drouin too, but that likely costs us Vlasic.

Johnson seems to be the fan choice to move to improve on D.

If we could get it done for Braun+ that would be awesome. Plus would have to be significant probably.

With Vlasic one year from UFA, I doubt that even does it.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
With Vlasic one year from UFA, I doubt that even does it.

Although Drouin may have more value to us as fans, I would be genuinely surprised if Yzerman said no to Vlasic for Drouin straight up. I think the league views Vlasic the best shutdown dman in the game. I think GMs value him way more than a dynamic scoring winger. I'm not saying that's right, but I think that's how they see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad