Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
HockeyDB:
Both 5'11
Heed: 165/ Ryan: 185

EliteProspects:
Heed: 182cm/175lbs
Ryan: 180cm/185lbs

Yes, I think lbs is more important than cm in the NHL.

Yes, because every height and weight on HockeyDB and EliteProspects is definitely correct.

I'm telling you what I see. Ryan is shorter than Heed. Heed is basically Dan Boyle's size (Boyle was always listed as 5'11" but I've stood next to him and there is no way he was taller than 5'10"). Ryan may weigh more but if you look at them next to each other you cannot see a significant difference in their build.

I agree that weight is more important than height, but I don't see a significant difference between Ryan and Heed on that account. Weight is distributed differently so maybe those EP numbers are right, but to the eye, I don't think there is a difference.

Ryan is generally better defensively. Whether that's due to a weight advantage or not, who knows. But it seems very silly to project that Heed won't make it due to his size while Ryan won't have his height prevent him from being an NHLer; Heed plays a highly offensive game, which is typically the style that most small defensemen who succeed play. Ryan is obviously very dynamic offensively, but a lot of his value in the AHL is on the defensive side as well. I think that is more questionable in terms of projecting them to the NHL than Heed's style.

For Ryan, you got Torey Krug and Jared Spurgeon as guys who play his style at his size and succeed. Heed has quite a few more examples (obvious one being Erik Karlsson, although obviously I'm not suggesting that Heed has anywhere near as much talent as Karlsson, and Tyson Barrie). I think it's easier to project Heed as a successful NHLer than Ryan, although I think and hope both will be.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
An underrated FA signing would be Trevor Daley. It would likely be on a Martin-like contract (so 5ish million with worrisome term), but I might do it. Going into next year with:

Martin-Burns
Schlemko-Daley
Ryan-DeMelo/Heed

wouldn't be the worst thing. It really depends on how much the youngsters can steal the day.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
How so? The Sharks are probably going 7-3-1 anyway (I think), so they'd protect Couture/Pavs, Hertl, Tierney, Hansen, Karlsson, and those 2 forwards.

Should be the 8-1 way. Protecting tierney, hansen and karlsson is idiotic.

Especially when you will then be unprotecting 3 very good defensemen in dillon, schlemko, martin. Could minimize the chances that the defense loses one of its best defenders.

Couture, pavs, hertl, and either another forward or dillon, vlasic, burns, braun, schlemko

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)

Especially when you will then be unprotecting 3 very good defensemen in dillon, schlemko, martin. Could minimize the chances that the defense loses one of its best defenders.

Couture, pavs, hertl, and either another forward or dillon, vlasic, burns, braun, schlemko

I think you gotta protect Hansen outta principal. Otherwise we just gave up Goldobin for nothing

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Yes, because every height and weight on HockeyDB and EliteProspects is definitely correct.

I'm telling you what I see. Ryan is shorter than Heed. Heed is basically Dan Boyle's size (Boyle was always listed as 5'11" but I've stood next to him and there is no way he was taller than 5'10"). Ryan may weigh more but if you look at them next to each other you cannot see a significant difference in their build.

Is Ryan the short one in the middle here?

DAJ15GTU0AA2vZI.jpg:large

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Honestly i dont care how big he is. Can he play hockey at an NHL level? I think he should be allowed the opportunity to prove he can because he has at the AHL level.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Well, in my scenario, you'd be trading one of Pavs/Couture. So it'd be Couture/Pavs, Hertl, and the two forwards you acquire + 4 defensemen then.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I'd be pretty disappointed if we just let Hansen go. He is cheap, and with a full season under his belt next year, he will be better no doubt.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This team is so chalk full of talented and useful 3rd liners that losing Hansen wouldn't be the end of the world

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
This team is so chalk full of talented and useful 3rd liners that losing Hansen wouldn't be the end of the world

I agree, but there's still other forwards I'd prefer to lose first if we can pull it off. Hell, even Karlsson even though we just resigned him.

Either way, I'm hoping LV takes a forward. Whoever they take though, it should open up a spot for someone in the AHL. Hopefully Carpenter if we can keep him or Heed/Ryan

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I think Ryan and Bergman are much more likely to make the team next year than Heed. Heed's size is gonna be a huge issue at the NHL level.

One of the best, if not the best Sharks defenseman wasn't any bigger than Heed. Danny Boyle never never let his size slow him down.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I reckon all those saying Vlasic should be traded are going to find new meaning for the expression 'you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone...' in 2018...

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
This is proof that the Vlasic-Braun pairing's struggles this season were entirely on Braun:

DASIL_vWAAAqrLM.jpg

The shots allowed when Vlasic was on the ice at even strength came heavily on the right side (aka Braun's side). We really have to make a change there, whether it's Burns playing with Vlasic or someone from outside the organization.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I reckon all those saying Vlasic should be traded are going to find new meaning for the expression 'you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone...' in 2018...

I reckon you shouldn't act like those of us suggesting we trade Vlasic aren't aware of the impact it would have on our team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just a quick question, what do you guys think will happen with Marleau this summer? We were talking about the possibility of bringing him in to play as a 3rd line center on the Pens board, but we're not entirely sure what he's planning on doing after this year. Do you guys expect him to re-sign in San Jose?

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Just a quick question, what do you guys think will happen with Marleau this summer? We were talking about the possibility of bringing him in to play as a 3rd line center on the Pens board, but we're not entirely sure what he's planning on doing after this year. Do you guys expect him to re-sign in San Jose?

I think consensus is that he most likely stays. Term and price could be a factor, so there is a possibility that he explores UFA. Most people seem to have him penciled in though.

If he leaves, I would expect a big market team. Specifically Toronto. He was considering New York at one point, but Boyles experience with AV seemed to sour him on the idea.

He does not want to be a 3c. Also wants at least an A.

I'd put it at: 85% SJS, 10% TOR, 5% LVK.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Yeah he'll stick around here. Or at least more than likely. He'll also probably wait until after the expansion draft to sign.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think consensus is that he most likely stays. Term and price could be a factor, so there is a possibility that he explores UFA. Most people seem to have him penciled in though.

If he leaves, I would expect a big market team. Specifically Toronto. He was considering New York at one point, but Boyles experience with AV seemed to sour him on the idea.

He does not want to be a 3c. Also wants at least an A.

I'd put it at: 85% SJS, 10% TOR, 5% LVK.

Yeah he'll stick around here. Or at least more than likely. He'll also probably wait until after the expansion draft to sign.

Okay guys thanks, that makes sense. We were thinking Marleau to Pittsburgh made some sense because he grew up a Penguins and Lemieux fan IIRC and I think there was a rumor from a couple of years ago that he would waive his NTC to go to Pittsburgh. He also almost definitely wants a cup before he retires, so that would be another factor. My guess was that he was probably going to stay in San Jose, but I wasn't entire sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad