Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Reminds me of when I came down hard on Torres. I said he's a ******* piece of crap who can't stay healthy and will be an albatross and I got pretty much drowned out around here with all the 'optimism'. There are things to be optimistic about, Raffi Torres and Mike Ribiero do not qualify.

I don't recall you talking about "health", just that you hated him personally.
Torres may have been a mess on the ice, but the Sharks players and other teams have never attacked his personality off the ice. Ribiero is a jerk on-and-off. There's a difference.

Equating Ribiero to Torres or Bieksa is ridiculous.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Torres may have been a mess on the ice, but the Sharks players and other teams have never attacked his personality off the ice. Ribiero is a jerk on-and-off. There's a difference.

Yea thought i was losing my mind. Dont remember him talking about his health. He may have hooed for an injury. Lol.

But could've just not remembered correctly

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Acquiring a player like Raffi was obnoxious because he seriously endangered the safety of opponents on the ice. But that was somewhat tolerable because he wasn't absolute scum off the ice.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Yea thought i was losing my mind. Dont remember him talking about his health. He may have hooed for an injury. Lol.

But could've just not remembered correctly

I wouldn't even call Torres injury-prone or a "health-risk". He had a bad 2 seasons from 2007-2009, that's about it. Even if it was made, it wasn't a valid reason of not wanting him, and no one could've predicted that fluke collision with Etem.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Bieksa, by all reports, is an incredible human being off the ice. Raffi too.

The same cannot be said for Ribeiro, and that's the hold up.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Breaking: entitled rich athletes are by and large pieces of **** in their private lives.

I'm not excusing what Ribeiro did or even saying we should pick him up but most of your favorite players are probably pretty terrible human beings too, they just haven't been caught (yet).

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

Equating Ribiero to Torres or Bieksa is ridiculous.

What I said was between his health and constant suspensions he would be a liability, and yah, I absolutely said that, go hunting for it if you like.

Ribiero is scum on and off the ice, Torres isnt (I have no idea about Bieksa) but last I looked they play ice hockey on the ice. I think the way all 3 of them play hockey is distasteful. So yah, the comparison is just fine.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
What I said was between his health and constant suspensions he would be a liability, and yah, I absolutely said that, go hunting for it if you like.

Ribiero is scum on and off the ice, Torres isnt (I have no idea about Bieksa) but last I looked they play ice hockey on the ice. I think the way all 3 of them play hockey is distasteful. So yah, the comparison is just fine.

I disagree that Torres was injury prone, and it's a huge disservice to compare either of the two to Ribiero.
Any chance to toot your own horn though I guess...

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

I think the disconnect here is that Fetus is comparing them as both hockey players and people while you're comparing them as just players, which is irresponsible when we're talking about real world roster additions here.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I think the disconnect here is that Fetus is comparing them as both hockey players and people while you're comparing them as just players, which is irresponsible when we're talking about real world roster additions here.

If they are scum as people too, yah I don't want them around. But if they are scum on the ice (which is something I can see with my own two eyes, I'm not taking 3rd party word of mouth for it) that's enough for me. I don't want them around my team already, so that they are also scum off the ice is irrelevant at that point to me.

And as for Fetus's comment. It's not about tooting my own horn, its about people's propensity to gang up around here on unpopular opinions and shout them down instead of discussing the issue. My ego is irrelevant, I don't even know you people, internet kudo's mean zilch to me, but I do value discussion and that kind of crap pisses me off.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Torres didn't have problems off the ice? Need I remind people of Halloween, 2011?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Torres didn't have problems off the ice? Need I remind people of Halloween, 2011?

This is true, but as far as I know there's no reason why the word "problem" should be plural (unless you have something to share?). That is one incident where he likely didn't know the effect it would have. Ignorance isn't an excuse, but there is a difference between his problem and Ribeiro's problem.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
For sure. But...the Sharks have had plenty of players with off-ice demons. Several players had drinking problems. Some players got into fights. Etc.

Dig a little deeper.

Guess i am also racist. Since i see nothing wrong with a halloween costume.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Blackface is a serious issue because of its origins in American society.

Raffi is Canadian. It's nativist (a form of racism) to decry him as racist for not having a full understanding of American history and it's tradition of minstrelsy.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Was looking at old deadline day threads. Found an absolute gem from 2013.

"If we could trade vlasic+pavelski+ for Ryan nugent-hopkins, thatd be great"

I refuse to name and shame but was laughing pretty hard.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't view blackface in Torres' situation to be all that bad morally than basically anything Ribiero has done. Like most of the thing that Ribiero's done was the work of a degenerate *******.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Raffi is Canadian. It's nativist (a form of racism) to decry him as racist for not having a full understanding of American history and it's tradition of minstrelsy.

You don't have to be American to understand why blackface is really ****ing uncool.

That said, blackface doesn't even remotely compare to the crime Ribeiro was accused of and settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad