Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I love Hertl with the Joe's. Honestly, the 3 of them are amazing together. That line is just way, way better with Hertl back in the line up.

But we shouldn't go into another SCF with Hertl on that top line. His knee is simply too much of a liability, when there is no one to replace him up there. I said this before, but I am not saying a team would run him to win the cup - but I don't even want to present that option.

Hertl at 3c shelters him from injury, gives him an opportunity to carry a line, and spreads out our scoring depth. It's simply the best all-around option.

A LW1, especially non-rental which is what we should target, isn't cheap. But they are available and we can get it done without compromising the team's ability to compete. Be it Dillion, Braun, Goldobin, Labanc, Schlemko or Ward - we have enough expendables to make it happen.

And IMO, it will hurt us if we don't.

Maybe Druin is no longer a possibility. Nash definitely is though.

Nash - Jumbo - Pavs would do very, very well. Timo - Hertl - Donskoi would do very, very well. Marleau - Couture - Boedker can hopefully keep this up and continue doing very, very well.

That's what we should hope for.
That's what I am hoping for, atleast.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nash hasn't been very good this year (I watch a lot of their games), and his salary cap hit wouldn't fit with the Sharks. The Rangers fan in me hopes they trade him to a team other than the Sharks.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I love Hertl with the Joe's. Honestly, the 3 of them are amazing together. That line is just way, way better with Hertl back in the line up.

But we shouldn't go into another SCF with Hertl on that top line. His knee is simply too much of a liability, when there is no one to replace him up there. I said this before, but I am not saying a team would run him to win the cup - but I don't even want to present that option.

Hertl at 3c shelters him from injury, gives him an opportunity to carry a line, and spreads out our scoring depth. It's simply the best all-around option.

A LW1, especially non-rental which is what we should target, isn't cheap. But they are available and we can get it done without compromising the team's ability to compete. Be it Dillion, Braun, Goldobin, Labanc, Schlemko or Ward - we have enough expendables to make it happen.

Nash - Jumbo - Pavs would do very, very well. Timo - Hertl - Donskoi would do very, very well. Marleau - Couture - Boedker can hopefully keep this up and continue doing very, very well.

Not sure I buy the argument that Hertl would be safer on the 3rd line other than his reduced minutes.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
McKenzie said the Avs are looking for "three pieces = young (20-24) established player + first-round pick + top prospect" for Duchene. Does 1st+Tierney+Meier get it done? I know the cap doesn't entirely work.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
McKenzie said the Avs are looking for "three pieces = young (20-24) established player + first-round pick + top prospect" for Duchene. Does 1st+Tierney+Meier get it done? I know the cap doesn't entirely work.

Honestly, I would want more if I was Sakic. The thing is, if the Sharks added Ward, he kinda has negative trade value.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Nash hasn't been very good this year (I watch a lot of their games), and his salary cap hit wouldn't fit with the Sharks. The Rangers fan in me hopes they trade him to a team other than the Sharks.

Since you watch him, do you think he'd be an upgrade to Karlsson on that line with the Joes? That's what we should be looking for. If the Rangers retain (50%?), it might be worth it.

We need to be looking for an upgrade to Karlsson on that so that Hertl can drop to the 3C.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Since you watch him, do you think he'd be an upgrade to Karlsson on that line with the Joes? That's what we should be looking for. If the Rangers retain (50%?), it might be worth it.

We need to be looking for an upgrade to Karlsson on that so that Hertl can drop to the 3C.

I think he'd be an upgrade on Karlsson, but I don't think the Rangers would retain $3.9M for another season. I think Nash's CF% (since some of you are obsessed with it) when I looked was around 45%, which is god awful.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Honestly, I would want more if I was Sakic. The thing is, if the Sharks added Ward, he kinda has negative trade value.

Ward definitely doesn't have negative trade value at this point. He's playing well for the past month or so, and he's a known playoff producer and leader who has only one year left on his contract. He might not be attractive to the Avs, but there's no way he has negative value.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Ward definitely doesn't have negative trade value at this point. He's playing well for the past month or so, and he's a known playoff producer and leader who has only one year left on his contract. He might not be attractive to the Avs, but there's no way he has negative value.

Fair enough. Then again, I thought his cap hit was $4.2M, not $3.275M. So, that's my bad.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The amount of trade deadlines and off seasons talking about getting nash is too damn high.

If dw wanted that guy hed have gotten him by now.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA

Don't want Nash. Or Vrbata. If the Sharks can get him Palat is the guy. He's played a bit on the TB top line in the past. He's still young (25), he's Czech and so becomes an instant buddy for Hertl, he's shown some decent offensive skill (16 goals) while not being a super-talent like Duchene and thus massively expensive. And lastly, he's an RFA who's probably not due for much of a raise which makes him a long-term asset who should fit in with current and future Sharks roster.

EDIT: And he's shown he can be a contributor in the playoffs.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Won't be able to fit him under the cap, but I would still love Nash on the Sharks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Won't be able to fit him under the cap, but I would still love Nash on the Sharks.

Well now that Marleau got his 500th, you can just run with letting Marleau walk and trading for Nash in the off-season, no? lol

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Negative trade value - how do you figure that? The difference between Ward's contribution and Ward's perception of value by some on this board is pretty amazing.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
If the Avs really are looking for a high end defense prospect for Duchene, it's not going to happen. The Sharks just don't have one of those in the pipeline.

This. From all indications they're looking for names like Hanifin, Sergachev, and players of that caliber and age. Which makes complete sense, given how good Duchene is. They've got at least 2-3 more years of rebuilding before they're competitive. As a result, Braun is not going to be of any interest to them whatsoever. Nor is Dillon, Schlemko, etc. Mueller is the right age, but isn't good enough. Roy MIGHT have been good enough, but given 2 years of injuries, they'll have no interest. We simply don't have the kind of player or prospect that the Avs would want in a return for Duchene. Why would they trade Duchene in a deal where someone like Goldobin/Meier (who might someday MAYBE be as good as Duchene is now) as the main piece?

I seriously would highly discourage anyone from getting their hopes up about Duchene, unless Wilson can bring back the same sort of Jedi mind trick that he used to get Thornton. Which isn't likely, especially since everyone knows Duchene is for sale. JVR or Nash are about the best we can hope for in a deadline pickup, and even those are unlikely.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This. From all indications they're looking for names like Hanifin, Sergachev, and players of that caliber and age. Which makes complete sense, given how good Duchene is. They've got at least 2-3 more years of rebuilding before they're competitive. As a result, Braun is not going to be of any interest to them whatsoever. Nor is Dillon, Schlemko, etc. Mueller is the right age, but isn't good enough. Roy MIGHT have been good enough, but given 2 years of injuries, they'll have no interest. We simply don't have the kind of player or prospect that the Avs would want in a return for Duchene. Why would they trade Duchene in a deal where someone like Goldobin/Meier (who might someday MAYBE be as good as Duchene is now) as the main piece?

I seriously would highly discourage anyone from getting their hopes up about Duchene, unless Wilson can bring back the same sort of Jedi mind trick that he used to get Thornton. Which isn't likely, especially since everyone knows Duchene is for sale. JVR or Nash are about the best we can hope for in a deadline pickup, and even those are unlikely.

Don't underestimate how other teams evaluate players differently from the consensus. There might be a scout or two in Colorado who really thinks Roy is the real deal, or Mueller is a diamond in the rough, or someone like Bergman or Ryan is a big steal. We see this with the Sharks, who highly valued players like Curtis Brown, Nic Wallin, and Nils Ekman.

As another example, you mention the Thornton trade. When Brad Stuart was first drafted, there was a lot of "future franchise player" talk surrounding him. By the time he was traded, that talk had generally dissipated, but I can imagine O'Connell or a colleague thought Stuart was on the cusp. He had had a very strong season in 2004 after being contained in Darryl Sutter's system his whole career, and you could see how he might thrive in a more open NHL.

Jul 10, 2010
The amount of trade deadlines and off seasons talking about getting nash is too damn high.

If dw wanted that guy hed have gotten him by now.

Big difference between Nash for Couture and Nash with retention for Tierney and picks

At the risk of disrupting chem, I'd be looking to deal Dillon for forward help and running Demelo and Heed at #6

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Big difference between Nash for Couture and Nash with retention for Tierney and picks

At the risk of disrupting chem, I'd be looking to deal Dillon for forward help and running Demelo and Heed at #6

If the Sharks can land a real legit top 6 forward using Dillon and something around their 1st and/or Tierney, Goldobin, Mueller, etc then I would absolutely do that. Dillon has be pretty solid this season, but he is redundant and Heed/Demelo have both played well enough to warrant a legit shot.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If the Sharks can land a real legit top 6 forward using Dillon and something around their 1st and/or Tierney, Goldobin, Mueller, etc then I would absolutely do that. Dillon has be pretty solid this season, but he is redundant and Heed/Demelo have both played well enough to warrant a legit shot.

This has been my opinion all along. With Schlemko as the anchor on the bottom pairing I am confident enough that both DeMelo and Heed would work well with him. Or even Mueller.

Honestly, DeMelo has not looked that sharp this year. I would play Mueller or Heed over him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I wouldn't classify Dillon as redundant. Him and Schlemko work well as a pairing because they compliment each other well. Nobody underneath Dillon really replaces what he brings especially when it comes to defensive ability and physicality. Schlemko is easier to replace with guys like Heed and DeMelo than it would be for someone like Mueller to replace Dillon. And I really wouldn't want to run a Schlemko-Heed/DeMelo pairing as they would be too soft in physical battles.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I would trade Labanc over Meier in any deal. Want to see Meier grow into a special player with the Sharks. I don't really get the Tierney hate either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad