Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They could be playing DeMelo just to get him the games needed to make him eligible to be exposed. That could provide some trade value leading into the expansion draft. For instance, Carolina will very likely be either signing one of their own or trading for someone to be exposed because they only have Faulk that is eligible to be exposed. Same could apply to Calgary, Colorado, Florida, Montreal, Nashville if they want to keep their top four, Pittsburgh, and maybe Toronto. It won't yield much of a return but it could at least provide a team someone to put out there instead of what they currently have and avoid having to sign someone they didn't really want to keep. It's still a stretch and it's probably just something much more ridiculous but it's somewhat possible. lol

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
If Schlemko is healthy which sounds like he is, you still don't bench him two games in a row before the break for Demelo, especially when there are others who are more deserving.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Schlemko is healthy which sounds like he is, you still don't bench him two games in a row before the break, especially when there are others who are more deserving.

I agree. I'd bench Martin given the schedule right now before Schlemko. Martin doesn't deserved to be benched like everyone else that is on the top six of the blue line but if you're going to do it, he makes the most sense given his age and play level...which is good enough but most easy to replace by putting Dillon up there and going Schlemko-DeMelo on the 3rd pairing.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
DeMelo getting some games in seems like the most plausible guess IMO but I agree that Martin should sit instead. He seems to need a fair amount of rest to play well anyway. I know the break's coming up so it's not as needed but no reason to sit Schlemko twice just to showcase DeMelo or get enough games for him.

Definitely a head-scratcher.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Some of us don't scour the internet or go to the main boards. What are you talking about?

Just that he's playing super super well and would have been a steal.

Probably that he's just really good this season. I wanted him, but to play devil's advocate, some wanted Yakupov and look at him now.

To be fair though, most of us soured on Yakupov a couple years ago.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Just that he's playing super super well and would have been a steal.

To be fair though, most of us soured on Yakupov a couple years ago.

You wanted him for a 2nd last offseason. I mean, the 2nd will probably not even be an NHLer, but he's been pretty terrible and not like there's a spot for him. Some could be blamed on Hitch's system, but I think he'd fail under Deboer too.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I am amazed at how little credit DeBoer is given for decisions based on FAR more information than we collectively have.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I am amazed at how little credit DeBoer is given for decisions based on FAR more information than we collectively have.

Even the smartest coaches have peculiar decisions made to their credit. It's fair to say he has far more information than we have but it's still fair for those in our positions to question it.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
As long as Vlasic, Braun, and Burns stay in the lineup I don't mind any of the other 3 guys sitting to get DeMelo some minutes; it's a long season and he needs to play

Having 7 good D men is so luxurious, I feel like I'm in a shampoo commercial

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You wanted him for a 2nd last offseason. I mean, the 2nd will probably not even be an NHLer, but he's been pretty terrible and not like there's a spot for him. Some could be blamed on Hitch's system, but I think he'd fail under Deboer too.

You're going going have to find receipts on that because I absolutely did not want Yakupov any time in the past year.

**** happens. I wanted Eric Stall. A lot of people (including Jux I think) said no to him. He has been super good this year.

Yeah, I was on the extremely pro-Eric Staal train.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
You're going going have to find receipts on that because I absolutely did not want Yakupov any time in the past year.

Yeah, I was on the extremely pro-Eric Staal train.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=119699697&highlight=yak#post119699697
Yak is at 0.44 PPG overbid career last I checked. He's 22 and absolutely worth giving up 60th overall for. Give him an actual center (Thornton, Couture, Hertl, hell Marleau even would be the best center he's ever had outside of like two dozen games of McDavid) and I think he'd show his worth as a top-9 scoring forward.
Plus more posts later on and earlier in the year.

Last edited:

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015

Any information DeBoer has that we don't have and that isn't injury-related (which doesn't appear to be relevant in Schlemko's case) should not be used to make lineup decisions. All lineup decisions should solely be made based on players' on-ice, in-game effectiveness which we are all privy to.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Any information DeBoer has that we don't have and that isn't injury-related (which doesn't appear to be relevant in Schlemko's case) should not be used to make lineup decisions. All lineup decisions should solely be made based on players' on-ice, in-game effectiveness which we are all privy to.

Really? So being late to meetings or missing practice or being an issue in the locker room should have no impact?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Nope. If the team has rules and players violate those rules, you need to look beyond on ice capabilitires. Take off you Nintendo colored glasses.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

Maybe but what if he's getting directive(s) from DW? E.g., if he needs to have DeMelo play enough games or showcase Dillon, DeMelo, or Martin, why blame PDB for that? Shouldn't your criticism be directed at DW since he's leading PDB to base lineup decisions on improper criteria IYO? I'm not saying he is getting any kind of directive. This may be entirely PDB's decision but we don't have that info.

Are all off-ice issue irrelevant IYO? What about things like being late for practice or not working hard there? What if the other players are PO'd that he's not working hard at practice? (not saying that happened but it seems like something that coaches would factor in.) Are there ever any out of game or off-ice things, other than injuries, that should factor into who's in the lineup IYO?

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Really? So being late to meetings or missing practice or being an issue in the locker room should have no impact?

Nope. If the team has rules and players violate those rules, you need to look beyond on ice capabilitires. Take off you Nintendo colored glasses.

We're trying to win games here not babysit middle schoolers. These are adult professionals. Hurting the team's chances to win just because they showed up late to work one day is asinine. At most, you set an example by sitting him for one game. This is two games and counting now that Schlemko is being scratched.

Maybe but what if he's getting directive(s) from DW? E.g., if he needs to have DeMelo play enough games or showcase Dillon, DeMelo, or Martin, why blame PDB for that? Shouldn't your criticism be directed at DW since he's leading PDB to base lineup decisions on improper criteria IYO? I'm not saying he is getting any kind of directive. This may be entirely PDB's decision but we don't have that info.

Are all off-ice issue irrelevant IYO? What about things like being late for practice or not working hard there? What if the other players are PO'd that he's not working hard at practice? (not saying that happened but it seems like something that coaches would factor in.) Are there ever any out of game or off-ice things, other than injuries, that should factor into who's in the lineup IYO?

DeBoer and Schlemko both emphatically and repeatedly called this a "coach's decision" so I'm absolutely blaming DeBoer for this until any actual evidence emerges that DW is pulling the strings. Also if the goal is to get DeMelo more games there are at least two other defensemen on the team who deserve to sit more than Schlemko.

Who gives a **** about practice? It's stupid to hurt the team's chances to win hockey games just because someone blew off practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad