2023-2024 EPL Season

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
If there was some sort of North American MVP award in EPL I'd be tempted to go with Cole Palmer. Absurdly good and really took the offensive lead on that squad. You gotta give him massive credit for what he did this year. Chelsea got a talisman.

Reactions: Blender

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Some of that. Some that FSG seem to be basically saying, build a football empire, more so than one club. Along with a stack of money.

Totally speculating here (largely based on my own personal feelings about that sort of business) but I wonder if there's a possibility that part of the reason Klopp is checking out is not believing in the disgusting, cowardly practice of stealing clubs away from their fans and he didn't want to stay on for that inevitability?

He seems like the kind of guy who would also find this gross but I may be wrong. Not sure if he's ever shared his opinion on that.

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Totally speculating here (largely based on my own personal feelings about that sort of business) but I wonder if there's a possibility that part of the reason Klopp is checking out is not believing in the disgusting, cowardly practice of stealing clubs away from their fans and he didn't want to stay on for that inevitability?

He seems like the kind of guy who would also find this gross but I may be wrong. Not sure if he's ever shared his opinion on that.
That’s giving him way too much credit. He’s a drone just like the rest of them. Just with better PR.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Since we love xG

TL/DR

LFC should have 8 more points. Arsenal should have 1 more point. City are neutral.

I hate soccer

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Since we love xG

TL/DR

LFC should have 8 more points. Arsenal should have 1 more point. City are neutral.

I hate soccer

if your "mega-improved amazing model" has the ball getting smashed into Palmer's shin point blank and going over as the worst miss of the season, your model needs improvement :laugh:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

I don’t think he’s against it. I also think it’s not as awful as could be. There’s disagreement on that, but I do think FSG are better than many owners some clubs could have. I’m willing to wait to see how it goes before making any assumptions.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don’t think he’s against it. I also think it’s not as awful as could be. There’s disagreement on that, but I do think FSG are better than many owners some clubs could have. I’m willing to wait to see how it goes before making any assumptions.

Whether FSG will end up being better owners than BlueCo (who are on the verge of a riot from Strasbourg fans. Read up on their season - a total shitshow with tons of experienced players shown out the door) or City doesn't really matter to me.

The point remains that fans watch their clubs become servants to a parent club in another league and lose their independence. Clubs don't belong to themselves anymore. People want to talk about an asterix? There is no bigger asterix than that, whether they win or lose. Whatever success clubs like City (or Chelsea or Liverpool or or or) will have in the future by hoarding players and having them compete in other top leagues before bringing them over is meaningless. Whatever success clubs like Girona will have with players City gifted them temporarily is meaningless. As faux and as empty as the artificial vocals of a dead singer in a fresh song. Same with the cheers or boos of those fans. They'll mean nothing to anyone but the amusement or sadness of that one fan. Which is fine enough - I guess. By all means, enjoy it, that's between each fan and their club but don't fool yourself that there is a single bit of glory in it. There isn't. Not one iota.

Clubs like Liverpool are already advantaged by the massive disparity in funds with 99 percent of their competitors and it's still not enough? You can't just win like that? Or try to? And before someone points out with the 'Well, others do it...' Man, just have some balls and a bit of integrity (let alone - gasp! - ingenuity!) But I know this will never happen in a sport as rich and as rotten. I guess at the end of the day it's just sport but everyone here knows that these clubs mean a lot more to their cities and their communities. I just find it sad to watch teams that already have every advantage in the world consume steroids that no else can access. All they become are poisoned crests. Hold it in your hand and it wilts and stains.

Last edited:

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Saka is also decent defensively (as he started his career at fullback) which for me makes him more valuable than some wingers with better numbers. Same reason I love mcneil at Everton.
Yeah, he’s one of the best wingers defensively. Doesn’t get to just play the wide forward role like a Salah. He’s also having his best season, but you wouldn’t know it with how people talk about him.

yea, martinelli's issue isn't his finishing. hot finishing last year made people think he was a lot better than he is!

martinelli's issue is that his IQ isn't great, imo. if you want trossard to keep being a supersub, you need an upgrade over martinelli on the left.
Martinelli has also suffered from having a revolving door of LBs and no real 8 with him on the left side this year. He misses Xhaka. I’ll give him a bit of a pass until we see him with a midfield upgrade next year.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I have not seen anyone say anything bad about Saka this entire season. Anywhere.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So the idea is that they sold their training grounds to themselves to try to game FFP?
It’s not just an idea. It’s happening and they are counting on it. Same as their hotels. Doesn’t seem as if there a ton of opposition to it from the PL either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad