Prospect Info: Sharks prospects info/discussion thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
So the real question is, is schoenborn an okay prospect now?

I've been entirely too lazy and should be giving you guys some insight, getting to see him live a handful of times now.

I have zero skill or experience projecting prospects as NHL players, so take everything with a grain of salt. I do like Schoenborn, but I'm not crazy high on him. I could see him as a useful 3rd liner someday but compared to others, top-6 seems like a stretch.

He's probably the 5th best forward on the Winterhawks right now. He's usually outshined by Petan and Bjorkstrand. De Leo definitely drives the bus more offensively and Turgeon is better in all three zones.

Schoenborn isn't that great of an energy guy - he can throw his weight around, but his motor isn't one of those that goes non-stop. He picks his spots sometimes, which works out well occasionally, as you'll see him pick up his pace at critical moments. I wouldn't call him a floater, but if he did pick up the tempo more often he'd be more of a special player.

I do like the Scott Hartnell comparison. Plays that sort of power forward lite game that's not overly physical or energetic, but has a definite impact. I don't think he'll ever have the numbers Hartnell does but if all goes right, I think the Sharks may have a 25-30 point player on their hands. Good 3rd liner.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I've been entirely too lazy and should be giving you guys some insight, getting to see him live a handful of times now.

I have zero skill or experience projecting prospects as NHL players, so take everything with a grain of salt. I do like Schoenborn, but I'm not crazy high on him. I could see him as a useful 3rd liner someday but compared to others, top-6 seems like a stretch.

He's probably the 5th best forward on the Winterhawks right now. He's usually outshined by Petan and Bjorkstrand. De Leo definitely drives the bus more offensively and Turgeon is better in all three zones.

Schoenborn isn't that great of an energy guy - he can throw his weight around, but his motor isn't one of those that goes non-stop. He picks his spots sometimes, which works out well occasionally, as you'll see him pick up his pace at critical moments. I wouldn't call him a floater, but if he did pick up the tempo more often he'd be more of a special player.

I do like the Scott Hartnell comparison. Plays that sort of power forward lite game that's not overly physical or energetic, but has a definite impact. I don't think he'll ever have the numbers Hartnell does but if all goes right, I think the Sharks may have a 25-30 point player on their hands. Good 3rd liner.

That's actually a pretty good write up (minus the player comparison, I just don't like those) & pretty much matches what I've seen of him (and his teammates). You should post about him more often.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

Thanks bigwillie (and stalockrox and others). I enjoy reading about our prospects and appreciate the posts from those who watch them.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
That's actually a pretty good write up (minus the player comparison, I just don't like those) & pretty much matches what I've seen of him (and his teammates). You should post about him more often.

Thanks! Not sure when the next game I'll get to go to is (will probably be on the 6th against Everett), but I'll be sure to report back.

Just disappointed I missed their games against Kelowna earlier this season and they won't be back in Portland. Really wanted to see Chartier. Maybe a road trip is in order...

Thanks bigwillie (and stalockrox and others). I enjoy reading about our prospects and appreciate the posts from those who watch them.

This was my first post ever with a prospect report. LadyStanley with the links, stalockrocks and 210 with the reports are the real MVPs!

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Ugh.

Scott McLaughlin ‏@smclaughlin9 5 minutes ago
Hearing that Harvard's Colin Blackwell will not play vs. BU tonight. May have had another concussion-related setback.

That is just awful, awful news!!!

I wonder if he's close to the point where he decides the best thing to do is stop playing hockey.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
http://liiga.fi/ottelut/2014-2015/runkosarja/6307/seuranta/
Dirty shootout goal by goaldy. He shot 3 times but only scored on his first.

Wow...

impressed.gif

wloff

May 25, 2013
Goldie's 3rd attempt in the shootout was even dirtier, too bad they didn't show that in the highlights & too bad he didn't score with it (yes, you can use the same guy multiple times in the shootout over here, and yes, we think it's dumb as heck too).

Just a quick update on Goldie in general: he's been a bit unlucky not to score any points in his last few games but has looked good - I think he's progressing nicely and in schedule. He has now 5+4 in 15 games in Liiga, as well as 1+1 in 2 in the Champions Hockey League. He's the kind of guy who is always dangerous and can create something out of nothing - my honest opinion is that, looking at purely his offensive talent and especially his hands, he probably has the best hands I've ever seen from a guy in this league. Kids like Granlund, Barkov or Teräväinen were probably better overall players in his age, but in terms of pure skill with his hands - he's insane.

His defensive game has been steadily improving as well (which was, and still is, by far his biggest weakness and obviously the reason he came to Finland in the first place). After his first five games Goldobin had a +/- of -5; now, ten games later, he's still at -5. Stats don't tell everything, but let's just say I'm no longer terrified every time I see Goldie trying to defend :)

He still has a lot of work to do, but if he keeps steadily improving like this, I think you guys are going to like him a lot next year. I really feel it was the right call to send him play in a pro league, and we're all really happy to have him in Helsinki. Here's hoping he'll come back to California as a champion :nod:

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Oh boy, by the looks of what some twitter accounts on twitter, Labanc has scored two beauties.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
God, I want to see those Labanc goals. Everyone said he made Barrie look like pylons. He also took a monster hit in OT however, and looked shaken up. Not sure if he left the game or not.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Chartier lost 3-1, but he had the only goal for his team.

He only needs 6 goals in the next 50 games to have finished top 20 in the league last year :D

And anybody know why Mitch Holmberg, the top scorer last year, went undrafted then picked up by the Oilers only to be traded to the Nucks. Was he a man against boys?

Last edited:

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
When I asked around on the Barrie board about Labanc:

"Shot: 4.5/5(Just needs to use it more)
Hands: 4.5/5(Made the wolves look like pylons last night)
Skating: 4/5
Aggressive Play: 5/5(One of the most aggressive players I've seen on the forecheck in a long time)
Defensive Play: 3.5/5

As for his rank as most valuable players, I'd choose:
1. Lemieux
2. Blandisi
3. Mangiapane
4. Blackwood
5. Labanc

You could also argue Andersson should be in that top 5 as well."

Just sniped one right now on a 5-3 power play. He seems to get a majority of his points on the pp

Jul 10, 2010
Wow, 2014 CHL forwards are killing it.

I've been saying for a while that we should draft more junior kids. NCAA produces either really high end guys (Eichel, Toews, Kessel) or 4th liners. Very few 2nd liners

Since we don't draft high enough to get the elites, I've always thought our best chances were with CHL players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad