Prospect Info: Sharks prospects info/discussion thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Looking ahead to which (unsigned) draftees need to/can be signed this (calendar) year:

• Major junior and European players, not heading to college, must be signed within two years (i.e., 2012 draftees signed by June 1, 2014) or their rights lost. (Lalancette)
  • Sharks have until June 1, 2014 to sign major junior players who received bonafide offers in 2013. (none)
  • Sharks have until June 1, 2014 to offer contracts to major junior players drafted in 2013. (But will still have their rights for another year.) (Boudreau)
  • Sharks have to offer contracts to any college players leaving college before graduation (e.g., freshman, sophomore, junior) by June 1 of the year they leave college. (TBD)
  • Sharks have to sign their 2014 college graduating draftees by August 15, 2014 or lose them as free agents. (Ferriero, Macleod)

Haven't seen much of Lalancette that makes me certain the Sharks will sign him. Bouodreau seems like a good candidate for a deal. While no collegian has yet declared they'll go pro, Kuraly is at the top of my wish list (Blackwell, O'Reagan?). Haven't been overly impressed with Ferriero and Macleod -- they might end up with AHL deals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Lalancette's had a much better year in the QMJHL than Boudreau has for what that's worth...

Lalancette: 16g, 37a, 53pts in 62 games. -6, 53% FOs
Boudreau: 14g, 15a, 29pts in 61 games. +4

I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Lalancette or give Boudreau one more year to see :dunno:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

Haven't seen much of Lalancette that makes me certain the Sharks will sign him. Bouodreau seems like a good candidate for a deal. While no collegian has yet declared they'll go pro, Kuraly is at the top of my wish list (Blackwell, O'Reagan?). Haven't been overly impressed with Ferriero and Macleod -- they might end up with AHL deals.

Of the college guys I'd sign Kuraly, O'Regan, and Macleod. Not interested in Ferriero or Blackwell, they've both fallen off a cliff. They seemed like one dimensional fast skilled forwards to begin with but there also seems to be motivation issues.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It seems to me that the Sharks always have a large number of prospects who do really well in the CHL (improving significantly from their draft year), and then just crash completely in the AHL.

Is this a valid observation? How does it compare to other teams around the league? It is it a common phenomenon? Or do the Sharks need to correct their drafting?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It seems to me that the Sharks always have a large number of prospects who do really well in the CHL (improving significantly from their draft year), and then just crash completely in the AHL.

Is this a valid observation? How does it compare to other teams around the league? It is it a common phenomenon? Or do the Sharks need to correct their drafting?

Its fairly common. Lots of Junior stars are stuck in the AHL trying to find a role.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Well Blackwell's been injured and hasn't played a game yet this year... so hard to say what's up with him.

I watched him play a few times last year and he never impressed me.:dunno: Hopefully if he's injured he'll come back and improve but I don't have very high hopes.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I watched him play a few times last year and he never impressed me.:dunno: Hopefully if he's injured he'll come back and improve but I don't have very high hopes.

Well he is a 7th round pick. I mean it's not like Joe pavelski is going to happen all that often.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Of the college guys I'd sign Kuraly, O'Regan, and Macleod. Not interested in Ferriero or Blackwell, they've both fallen off a cliff. They seemed like one dimensional fast skilled forwards to begin with but there also seems to be motivation issues.

It's very unlikely that Kuraly turns pro after this season.

If O'Regan leaves BU then he'll be signed and I'm not sure if they will offer MacLeod an ELC or an AHL deal. I'm not sure he has a lot of NHL upside but he could be a good shutdown d-man for Worcester..

For whoever it was that asked about Tierney, I've seen a LOT of him. If you go through the other prospects thread I talk about him quite a bit. In a nutshell, he's having a fantastic season.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
It's very unlikely that Kuraly turns pro after this season.

If O'Regan leaves BU then he'll be signed and I'm not sure if they will offer MacLeod an ELC or an AHL deal. I'm not sure he has a lot of NHL upside but he could be a good shutdown d-man for Worcester..

For whoever it was that asked about Tierney, I've seen a LOT of him. If you go through the other prospects thread I talk about him quite a bit. In a nutshell, he's having a fantastic season.

Not saying sign this year necessarily, whenever they decide they are done with college hockey. O'Regan I kinda hope decides to go to Worcester though, BU isn't the same without Parker. Those are just the ones I see as have some potential. Sorry if I wasn't clear, it was late when I posted that.:)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Not saying sign this year necessarily, whenever they decide they are done with college hockey. O'Regan I kinda hope decides to go to Worcester though, BU isn't the same without Parker. Those are just the ones I see as have some potential. Sorry if I wasn't clear, it was late when I posted that.:)

Is BU that much worse now without Parker that playing in Worcester for Sommer would be any better?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
BU won their first road game of the season today and they did it with just 14 skaters as O'Regan (plus 3 other skaters) were all benched due to breaking a 'team rule'.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
The Sharks signed their first UFA of the year in RW Barclay Goodrow of the North Bay Battalion.

There is nothing official from the Sharks so no new thread...

Barclay Goodrow @bgoodrow23
Couldn't be more excited to sign my first NHL contract with the @SanJoseSharks , thanks to everyone for the support along the way

Last edited:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I believe BU's (horrible) season came to an end last night.

I'd assume he'll be finishing up his school year either way but it'll be interesting to see if O'Regan decides to turn pro. The people who cover the team seem to think he'll be returning next year, I'd guess they are right.

Last edited:

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Kinda crazy to hear Burke saying its a 50-50 shot for him to make the team next season. They must have real confidence that he is a stud.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Kinda crazy to hear Burke saying its a 50-50 shot for him to make the team next season. They must have real confidence that he is a stud.

Or the org has a total lack of confidence in or defensemen on the left side after Vlasic.:sarcasm:

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Or the org has a total lack of confidence in or defensemen on the left side after Vlasic.:sarcasm:

Let's hope him and Tierney both have good camps and make the team next season. I really hope they don't rush Mueller as I think he needs awhile to develop but who knows defensemen are weird in their development.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Burke is also on record saying that Taylor Doherty is NHL-ready, so I don't trust his evaluation as far as I can throw him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad