Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
He could probably take Melker.

Well, he could probably try to take Melker, but he'd get one, maybe two blows in before Pete blindsides him with a folding chair and beats him down with it.

Made me spit my drink!

Regarding Merkley, there is an aphorism that it is implausible to improve skating but quite possible to overcome it. It's quite possible to improve attitude but nearly impossible to overcome it.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Lots of Merkley talk lately on the main boards. I don't know what kind of issues he's had with the Junior teams and I don't think I care that much. The development team seems to have no concerns about his game and I'll take their word for it.

I haven't read anything on the boards, but I'd guess he's out there trying to make plays with guys that can't see on his level. His body isn't NHL level but his vision is. Probably why the Sharks kept him in camp so long last year.

The good thing is that he's been receptive to coaching and their development plans. He talked a lot about working on the defensive side of his game and working on weaknesses. So it's not like he's some egomaniac that thinks he's above criticism.

Reactions: themelkman

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
No doubt in my mind that Merkley has high bust potential, but I'm still okay with the pick for 2 reasons.
  1. He probably has the best chance to mature emotionally as a Shark. If he's still an entitled prick playing with Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic, he has zero chance elsewhere.
  2. I didn't want another Wishart/Petrecki/Wrenn "safe pick" who still ended up busting. It was a refreshing change to see the Sharks go with a high risk/high reward pick.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
No doubt in my mind that Merkley has high bust potential, but I'm still okay with the pick for 2 reasons.
  1. He probably has the best chance to mature emotionally as a Shark. If he's still an entitled prick playing with Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic, he has zero chance elsewhere.
  2. I didn't want another Wishart/Petrecki/Wrenn "safe pick" who still ended up busting. It was a refreshing change to see the Sharks go with a high risk/high reward pick.
The pick made me very happy. Mirco Mueller was supposed to be super safe and now look at him. We needed to take a shot on a superstar

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
The pick made me very happy. Mirco Mueller was supposed to be super safe and now look at him. We needed to take a shot on a superstar
I left Mirco off my list of duds, but I can understand why he would appear on others'.

He should have been sent back to the WHL instead of playing 39 games in his rookie season. Maybe he would never have amounted to much anyway, but the Sharks didn't do Mirco any development favors. He clearly wasn't ready.

Edit ... Hang on. He was drafted out of the WHL, but played 9 games with Worcester in his D+1 year. Were the Sharks required to keep him on the roster the next season because of his AHL play? Not sure how that works. He wasn't ready whatever the case.

Last edited:

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I left Mirco off my list of duds, but I can understand why he would appear on others'.

He should have been sent back to the WHL instead of playing 39 games in his rookie season. Maybe he would never have amounted to much anyway, but the Sharks didn't do Mirco any development favors. He clearly wasn't ready.

Edit ... Hang on. He was drafted out of the WHL, but played 9 games with Worcester in his D+1 year. Were the Sharks required to keep him on the roster the next season because of his AHL play? Not sure how that works. He wasn't ready whatever the case.

Import player.

Reactions: themelkman

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

He just joined up with Worcester once his WHL season ended in April, all junior prospects can do that. Doesn't affect anything the following year.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Hatakka looked great at the Prospect Scrimmage. He might be another one of those late-round gems.

He has great poise with the puck and is a smooth skater. A bit lanky and skinny right now. Looks like he recently went through a growth spurt and needs to fill out his frame. I am high on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad