Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Is there a way the Pete's can terminate his contract? Or are they stuck with it?
Well they could, but they would be pretty stupid too. Hes the best at what he does in that league. They just want to get the value out of him now that they got a guy to play number 1 RHD

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I know this is nonsense and wont happen but it would be a trivial amount of money for the Sharks to buy him out of that agreement right?

IDK if that is cap circumvention or what, though...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I know this is nonsense and wont happen but it would be a trivial amount of money for the Sharks to buy him out of that agreement right?

IDK if that is cap circumvention or what, though...
CHL would never let it happen even if there was some way to make it to happen. I guess maybe if they really really hate Merkley for some reason but it sets a precedence for doing it and they don't want anybody else stealing talent from their league.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHL-CHL agreement won't allow that to happen.

Merkley's options are: Play in NHL, play in Europe (on NHL contract), play in OHL, don't play.

I think the Sharks' preference is play in OHL, maturing (hopefully).

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
NHL-CHL agreement won't allow that to happen.

Merkley's options are: Play in NHL, play in Europe (on NHL contract), play in OHL, don't play.

I think the Sharks' preference is play in OHL, maturing (hopefully).
Yeah, if his maturity is an issue that much then I cant see him handling going over to europe to play well.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sending him to Europe is probably also out of the question from an NHL/CHL agreement perspective too. Not because it contravenes the agreement at all, but because it sets a dangerous precedent in terms of teams looking at pulling their North American born CHLers from the league to assign them to Europe. The NHL needs the CHL since it remains the single biggest provider of future NHL talent, and the CHL needs assurances that its talented homegrown players won't get poached from the league for anything less than an NHL call-up. I know it happened with Goldobin, but he was an import player, so it's a different kettle of fish. As much as I've seen people say "the NHL doesn't need to appease a small-potatoes outfit like the CHL, they should just lay down the law and force the junior leagues to accept things on their terms because they have the muscle to make it happen." or things of that ilk, the reality is that nothing good comes from browbeating your suppliers unless they're actively trying to screw you (and reasonable self-interest doesn't count as screwing someone. Screwing the NHL would be saying that nobody leaves the CHL until they're 20, period.)

Reactions: Torgo

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
What particularly concerns me is the Pete's knew he had attitude/effort issues when they traded for him, and this suggests that they got more than they bargained for. Not good at all.

Reactions: themelkman

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I have been a big Merkley supporter and think he has all the tools to make it to the NHL. However, it does seem like he may be very hard to coach. If that is a problem at the Juniors it is hard to imagine that it will change much at the Pro level.

The best bet for us is treat him as a long term investment and hope that he pans out in a few years.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
At this point I’m just going to assume he’ll be with the Sharks to start the year. He may not play any games, but he’ll be there.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
At this point I’m just going to assume he’ll be with the Sharks to start the year. He may not play any games, but he’ll be there.

Yeah. And I think that may be the best choice for the Sharks to go forward with anyway. I am biased as a Sharks fan ofcourse and well aware that Merkley has his flaws but being traded last season and it being made public that his new team does not want him anymore either cannot be good for his confidence/growth.

Heck. Have him stay with Burns family all season long and let Burns mentor him through the season. Give him games against weaker teams if we are in a position to do so. I don't think it is an ideal situation but if life gives you lemons ...

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hope Merkley's attitude issues clear up fast. Be a shame for someone with all his talent to end up being held back because of attitude.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
By all accounts I have read, he is a "bad teammate" because he calls guys out and has a high competitive nature. What you have to realize is he is an intense personality and Rob Wilson (Pete's head coach) was in his first year of coaching the team, let alone a group of kids. I really don't think Wilson has the chops to develop a guy like that or know a way to coach him at all so he just wants to cut ties ASAP before he loses control of his locker room as being weak and submissive. Something to consider, strong player, weak coach.

Last edited:

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
By all accounts I have read, he is a "bad teammate" because he calls guys out and has a high competitive nature. What you have to realize is he is an intense personality and Rob Wilson (Pete's head coach) was in his first year of coaching the team, let alone a group of kids. I really don't think Wilson has the chops to develop a guy like that or know a way to coach him at all so he just want to cut ties ASAP before he loses control of his locker room as being weak and submissive. Something to consider, strong player, weak coach.
Then yeah maybe its time that we leave Merkley as the 7th D. Waive Prout and play Merks in easy games where he can learn from Burns and Karlsson.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
By all accounts I have read, he is a "bad teammate" because he calls guys out and has a high competitive nature. What you have to realize is he is an intense personality and Rob Wilson (Pete's head coach) was in his first year of coaching the team, let alone a group of kids. I really don't think Wilson has the chops to develop a guy like that or know a way to coach him at all so he just wants to cut ties ASAP before he loses control of his locker room as being weak and submissive. Something to consider, strong player, weak coach.

This makes sense. But that still does not help Merkley, unfortunately. It would be hard for him to not feel 'rejected' at this point. He just turned 19 years old 4 days back and what he needs is positive reinforcement and encouragement. He needs to be 'nurtured'.

Different people respond to different types of feedback. I think in the case of Merkley he does need to be treated as a 'special' case. Specially if we want to see him succeed at the NHL level. He will get that kind of attention once he plays for the Cuda/Sharks because DW has the power to make sure of that. But while in the juniors, he is pretty much left to the interests of the coaches/management there.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
This makes sense. But that still does not help Merkley, unfortunately. It would be hard for him to not feel 'rejected' at this point. He just turned 19 years old 4 days back and what he needs is positive reinforcement and encouragement. He needs to be 'nurtured'.

Different people respond to different types of feedback. I think in the case of Merkley he does need to be treated as a 'special' case. Specially if we want to see him succeed at the NHL level. He will get that kind of attention once he plays for the Cuda/Sharks because DW has the power to make sure of that. But while in the juniors, he is pretty much left to the interests of the coaches/management there.

Having worked with troubled kids most of my professional career, he strikes me as a guy that may not really be a "good soldier". You can tell him what to do and how to do it but he will do it his way. Sure at some level, he likes to make the boss happy but it is not what drives him.

Now I can't say for certain that is his personality because I have never met him but just going by his antics and my own personal experiences (I am like that myself), it wouldn't surprise me.

What is going to be best for Merkley is to be in a place that will give him that free rein but also know when to corral him. Whether that is in San Jose or Wilson uses his 67's connection to get him moved there, we will see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hohosaregood

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Went to look at the reaction on the news on the Peterborough thread and it didn't sound like they really believed the rumor, especially after the reports from the same source saying their 1st pick wouldn't sign with the team if Merkley was part of the team. Spoiler: he already signed.

I'm kinda thinking that Merkley is just a convenient lightning rod for rumors right now.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Pretty decent read here from Pronman on our top prospects.

2019 NHL farm system rankings: No. 20 San Jose Sharks
20 isn't that high obviously, but I was pleased with how he rated the Sharks' players overall.

1. Merkley (Very good NHL prospect)
2. Chekhovich (Very good NHL prospect)
3. Chmelevski (Very good NHL prospect)
4. Gambrell (Legit NHL prospect)
5. Mario Ferraro (Legit NHL prospect)
6. Joachim Blichfeld (Legit NHL prospect)
7. Alexander True (Legit NHL prospect)
8. Dillon Hamaliuk (Legit NHL prospect)
9. Andrew Shortridge (Legit NHL prospect)
10. John Leonard (Legit NHL prospect)
11. Nick DeSimone (Legit/Chance bubble)
12. Josef Korenar (Legit/Chance bubble)
13. Jacob Middleton (Legit/Chance bubble)
14. Tony Sund (Legit/Chance bubble)
15. Yegor Spiridonov (Legit/Chance bubble)
16. Artemi Kniazev (Legit/Chance bubble)
17. Zachary Emond (Legit/Chance bubble)
18. Danil Yurtaikin (Has a channce)
19 Noah Gregor (Has a chance)
20. Jeremy Roy (Has a chance)
21. Jonathan Dahlen (Has a chance)
22. Lean Bergmann (Has a chance)
23. Vladislav Kotkov (Has a chance)
24. Jayden Halbgewachs (Has a chance)
25. Timur Ibragimov (Has a chance)
26. Zach Gallant (Has a chance)

Everyone else was listed as depth. Letunov, Viel, McGrew and Kellman

Not listed: Hatakka, Weatherby, Wiederer, Knyzkhov, Reedy, Cukste

For more info, just ask.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
20 isn't that high obviously, but I was pleased with how he rated the Sharks' players overall.

1. Merkley (Very good NHL prospect)
2. Chekhovich (Very good NHL prospect)
3. Chmelevski (Very good NHL prospect)
4. Gambrell (Legit NHL prospect)
5. Mario Ferraro (Legit NHL prospect)
6. Joachim Blichfeld (Legit NHL prospect)
7. Alexander True (Legit NHL prospect)
8. Dillon Hamaliuk (Legit NHL prospect)
9. Andrew Shortridge (Legit NHL prospect)
10. John Leonard (Legit NHL prospect)
11. Nick DeSimone (Legit/Chance bubble)
12. Josef Korenar (Legit/Chance bubble)
13. Jacob Middleton (Legit/Chance bubble)
14. Tony Sund (Legit/Chance bubble)
15. Yegor Spiridonov (Legit/Chance bubble)
16. Artemi Kniazev (Legit/Chance bubble)
17. Zachary Emond (Legit/Chance bubble)
18. Danil Yurtaikin (Has a channce)
19 Noah Gregor (Has a chance)
20. Jeremy Roy (Has a chance)
21. Jonathan Dahlen (Has a chance)
22. Lean Bergmann (Has a chance)
23. Vladislav Kotkov (Has a chance)
24. Jayden Halbgewachs (Has a chance)
25. Timur Ibragimov (Has a chance)
26. Zach Gallant (Has a chance)

Everyone else was listed as depth. Letunov, Viel, McGrew and Kellman

Not listed: Hatakka, Weatherby, Wiederer, Knyzkhov, Reedy, Cukste

For more info, just ask.
I was pleasantly surprised to see how many 'Legit' NHL propects we have. Obviously not all will make it but gives us good trade chips in the least.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I am honestly shocked that he didn't rank McGrew. Based on his write up, I wonder if he just didn't have much exposure to him.

I think he is a legit NHL prospect and I expect him to shoot up the rankings this coming season.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Sporting News absolute garbage rankings. Chmelevski not even a top 10 prospect :laugh::laugh::laugh:

NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2019-20, from 1 to 31
30. San Jose Sharks
2018-19 rank: 30th
Key additions: Jonathan Dahlen (LW)
Graduated: None
Traded/not signed: Rudolfs Balcers (LW, OTT), Josh Norris (C, OTT)

The Sharks more than make-up for their trading of valuable assets by spanning the globe in search of late-round gems and undrafted free agents - either coveted or obscure. This method has not hurt the franchise at the gate or in the standings, as most of their long-shots and signees were impact players for their respective teams and still maintain Calder Trophy eligibility. Betting against San Jose's front office is a risky endeavor, as the NHL roster came within a game of its second trip to the Stanley Cup Final in four years had six players who weren't even drafted. Nonetheless, historical data also reveals the higher success rate of first-round picks over their drafted and undrafted peers, and in that regard, the Sharks are running out of room for error.
Their organizational depth chart below the NHL level is thin on elite prospects, with controversial playmaker Ryan Merkley the obvious choice to earmark as their lone potential star. Much like Calgary, however, the Sharks were rewarded with fantastic post-draft seasons from several later-round picks, such as winger Ivan Chekhovich (third in QMJHL scoring), Joachim Blichfeld (WHL scoring champion and Player of the Year) and Sasha Chmelevski (second in OHL playoff scoring). All three were picked after the fifth round yet continue to trend upward. Goalie Josef Korenar (another non-draftee) was one of the AHL's top young netminders, while fellow goaltending prospect Zachary Emond was tops in the QMJHL in goals-against average (1.73), save percentage (.932) and shutouts (seven). Lastly, Russian-born 2019 draftees Yegor Spiridonovand defenseman Artemy Knyazev, were minute-eating mainstays for their under-18 national team.
PROSPECTPOS.2019-20 TEAM (Proj.)ACQUIRED
1. Ryan MerkleyRHDPeterborough (OHL)1st/2018
2. Josef KorenarGSan Jose (AHL)UDFA
3. Yegor SpiridonovCStalnye Lisy (MHL)4th/2019
4. Artemy KnyazevLHDChicoutimi (QMJHL)2nd/2019
5. Ivan ChekhovichLWSan Jose (AHL)7th/2017
6. Joachim BlichfeldRWSan Jose (AHL)7th/2016
7. Mario FerraroRHDSan Jose (AHL)2nd/2017
8. Noah GregorCSan Jose (AHL)4th/2016
9. Dylan GambrellCSan Jose (AHL)2nd/2016
10. Zachary EmondGRouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)6th/2018
[TBODY] [/TBODY]