Sharks News/Notes XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Are the identities of Pro Sport Mascots trade secrets or something? Has the same guy been playing SJ Sharkie forever? Or is SJ Sharkie an actual fuzzy Shark person?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
No. If you read the small, fine print in the annual media guide, you'll see a name related to mascot operations. :D

I believe the guy doing him now is second guy.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
No. If you read the small, fine print in the annual media guide, you'll see a name related to mascot operations. :D

It's always in the fine print now because the lessons learned from the KGB Chicken and the Padres back in the early 80s (and the lawsuit that it generated).

The outcome of all this is whoever owns the rights to the mascot are very cautious not to dilute it's value. Thus, the name of the person in the costume is not widely known and acknowledged.

IIRC, the person in the chicken costume was Ted who's last name I have forgotten. I interpreted the outcome of the lawsuit is that nobody won much but the lawyers. Ted could not infringe on the KGB Chicken trademark and rights, but was free to seek employment using costumes in the future.

Ted became the San Diego Chicken with a costume that looked different and with different color scheme and logo. The logo was interesting becuase I though the Flyers might end up sueing Ted. Ted's logo looked very much like the Flyer logo.

Anyway, that's what I remember.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA

I used to work with a guy that did mascot stuff as a side job and he always had good things to say about Sharkie (the guy in the suit). He had also mentioned "the guy that used to be Sharkie" so there has definitely been more than one.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Being in many ice hockey rinks during winter in many different locations.

Dude, gloves and a beanie? :laugh:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's one thing if you're on the ice skating around, and another if you're just sitting, standing in 40 degree weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad