Sharks News/Notes XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Stalock's mask is almost as boring and generic as Jones's... It's not plain dumb like his previous one at least.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

I wonder what criteria used by that writer to judge the top 5 Sharks of all time. One seems to be length of service, so it probably a good guess that it's a balance of length of service in teal plus what? ...that equals the writer's favorite 5.

Take a look at the writer's choice of Nabby. Looking at the stat comparison between Nabby and Niemi, Niemi appears to edge out Nabby in regular season performance, but Nabby edges out Niemi in post-season performance.

I get it that Nabby is a fan favorite, but it some of that has to be based on personality. I do believe the writer inadvertently points out that the Sharks never had an elite goalie in their history so far.

There's hope for the Sharks because teams do win the Cup without an elite goalie as I see it. That is the Kings with Quick who I don't consider has career elite performance stats.... close but not quite like, say, Crawford. However, having an elite goalie goes a long way in affecting post-season success.

I guess our off-season conversations here will include whether Jones has shown or will be an elite goalie. That's far game because of the 1st round draft pick that DW gave for him.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The omission of Owen Nolan is glaring on that list. And if you're going to put a d-man on that list, I would think Boyle had a greater impact than Pickles but Pickles likely will pass him the longer he plays here. This team took its next step with the addition of Boyle more than anything else.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

With quotes from fans/STH

Two key takeaways:

1. "But nothing works like winning. If the Sharks, 7-6 after a 4-0 start, don't win, the building won't be full."

2. "Cathy Ferrari of San Jose, a season-ticket holder since the inaugural season in 1991, did not renew this year. It was mostly an economic decision, she said. She and her husband had always been able to offset the cost by selling the games they couldn't attend."

Promotions, smamotions, whatever don't work consistently. Winning and giving a financial break for STHs do. Winning is majority of the brand image. Second is the scarcity of tickets. The Sharks are ****ing up both in this and the past season.

The attendance is very poor considering how low the cost of gasoline has been this season.

Sharks executives were, well, stupid for raising ticket prices this season... a bit too greedy consider the fan experience they gave last season.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
DeBoer named assistant coach for Team North America (23 and under US/Canadians).

(Nieto, Tierney among those eligible. Non-NHLers in the organization that might be tapped include: Roy, Chartier, Ryan, Fitzgerald, DeMelo, Goodrow; Blackwell, Helewka, Labanc, Sadowy, Schoenborn, Vanier. I've bolded those prospects that might have a better chance of making the team)

Sharks have no goalies in the <=23 age range (in the organization, signed or un). Definitely a concern for those putting the team together.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
DeBoer named assistant coach for Team North America (23 and under US/Canadians).

(Nieto, Tierney among those eligible. Non-NHLers in the organization that might be tapped include: Roy, Chartier, Ryan, Fitzgerald, DeMelo, Goodrow; Blackwell, Helewka, Labanc, Sadowy, Schoenborn, Vanier. I've bolded those prospects that might have a better chance of making the team)

Sharks have no goalies in the <=23 age range (in the organization, signed or un). Definitely a concern for those putting the team together.

I don't think that there is a chance that DeMelo makes the team.

Chartier's professional career is in jeopardy with his injury occurrences and severity, he should focus on resting.

Goodrow might have the closest chance if a miracle happens.

Joakim Ryan is not eligible as he's going to playing for Sweden in international tournaments.

In the end I don't think anyone will make it, but Labanc or Roy probably have the best chance.

I'm interested in seeing what Blackwell can do this year at Harvard, but he's in the same boat as Chartier.

This is of course assuming the team isn't going to be comprised completely of players on the assistant coaches' team and that the selection process will be objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad